• Friendliest aviation community on the web

superatr

(Disclosure: I am a regional puke)

American Airlines pilots lose help of larger union

By
Terry Maxon/Reporter
[email protected] | Bio

7:49 PM on Tue., Aug. 2, 2011 | Permalink

The Air Line Pilots Association won't be helping the Allied Pilots Association any more in APA's contract talks with American Airlines.

It appears that ALPA was insulted by comments made out of the APA's Boston base, and ended its cooperative arrangement in which it provided a professional negotiator and research assistance to the American Airlines union.

APA president David Bates blamed the "inflammatory" remarks in an email from the Boston base chairman to his members, joined in by New York leadership, for causing the pullout.

"So, not only is the APA-ALPA cooperative relationship now seriously damaged, but our ongoing contract negotiations have also been adversely affected," Bates said in a letter to members. "Simultaneously losing Mr. [ALPA professional negotiator Seth] Rosen's expertise and the quantitative analysis capabilities of ALPA Economic and Financial Analysis represents a major setback."

Bates also said that the National Mediation Board may see the ALPA withdrawal "as an indication that the APA leadership is in disarray and unprepared to see negotiations through to their conclusion."

Keep reading for the Boston comments and the Bates letter.

From a July 26 hotline from Boston base chairman Steve Bacon that upset Bates and ALPA:

"I cannot fathom anyone expecting to have a unified voice of labor when the largest Pilot labor organization speaks for the commuters and regionals over the wishes of the majors, many of them belonging to and paying the lion's share of the dues. They have screwed us on Duty time, ATP Requirements, age 65, security screening, and drug testing, as well, and as much as their own members.
"The support we 'get' for the negotiating coach (Professional Negotiator) and EF+A committee we 'get ' for a half million / year. There is no benevolence, just business. With their loss of the TWA DFR suit, ALPA is left holding the bag for 1.2 billion dollars. (pending appeal) It's a good time for the major airlines to start thinking about organizing a pilots union that represents the issues of our craft and trade, external to ALPA, and without it's 300K plus salaries.

" ALPA is presently attempting to organize Jet Blue. You can read about it at jetblueoc.org I am personally Very much in favor of Jet Blue organizing, I just question whom they are being courted by. I will not support it. I think (opinion) their pilots would be better served by becoming an independent and associating with CAPA so our common interests can be heard without having to placate the non-ancillary constituencies. Short of that, labor unity isn't going to be achieved any sooner than $3.00 Red Sox tickets."

Dave Bates' "You Should Have the Final Say" message to members:

"Last month marked one year in office for APA's current National Officers. Vice President First Officer Tony Chapman, Secretary-Treasurer First Officer Scott Shankland and I ran for office as a team committed to a common philosophy and to working together. One year later, our partnership remains stronger than ever.
"I want to use this opportunity to briefly recap what we said we would do if elected--versus what we have done during the past year--and also discuss a very serious situation that has developed.

"During the campaign, we committed ourselves to being as transparent as possible about what we planned to do. So how closely have we adhered to the plan we presented?

"We said we would develop a more professional, business-like relationship with AMR management--we have.

"We said we would seek to establish a better relationship between APA and the American Airlines Flight Department--and we have.

"We said we would foster a much closer working relationship with other pilot unions in the United States and around the world--and we have.

"We said we would run APA like a business, taking great care in our handling of the membership's money--and we have. In our first year alone, we saved more than $2 million through careful cost control.

"We said we would establish productive relationships with the security analysts, institutional investors and others with a financial interest in AMR--and we have. As a result of this initiative, APA's credibility on Wall Street has increased significantly and I now regularly receive invitations to provide the pilots' point of view at various industry forums organized by financial institutions. There are many strategic reasons why these financial community relationships are important to APA's pilots.

"I said I would move my family to Texas (joining Tony and Scott) so I could be available to APA and its members 24/7--and I have.

"We said we would hire a professional negotiator--and we did. Thanks to the bridges we built with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), we were able to access the expertise of Mr. Seth Rosen, the country's most experienced pilot-side Railway Labor Act negotiator who is known and respected around the world. We also contracted with ALPA's Economic and Financial Analysis group to bolster our quantitative analysis capabilities to support our negotiating goals, a further byproduct of the closer working relationship between our two unions.

"When Tony, Scott and I campaigned last year, we identified getting the contract we all deserve as our No. 1 priority. Our assessment was that "we have little chance of negotiating a restorative contract without a professional business relationship with AA management." Despite what some naysayers assert, we have made significant progress during the past few months because of our willingness to engage management and effectively express the concerns of AA's pilots. Thanks primarily to the lines of communications we established with management, your National Officers have been included in discussions about major corporate decisions such as aircraft purchases and other future plans.

"While I share your frustration with the time it has taken, I believe we had finally set a course to accomplishing our No. 1 priority. Unfortunately, our contractual efforts have now been seriously jeopardized by the actions of a few APA domicile representatives. In an inflammatory e-mail message to the BOS Domicile last week, BOS Domicile Chairman Captain Steve Bacon alleges that ALPA has "screwed" APA (and ALPA's own members) with respect to various legislative and regulatory issues--an allegation that is flat-out wrong. He also impugns the integrity and motivation of Mr. Rosen and ALPA's Economic and Financial Analysis Group for recouping the cost of providing their professional services to APA. Compounding the insult, LGA Domicile Chairman Captain Pete Oborski endorsed Captain Bacon's missive by forwarding it to the LGA pilots and Captain Steve Roach directed his members to it as "a good read."

"In response to this unwarranted attack, ALPA has notified me that they are withdrawing their service agreement with APA and withdrawing Mr. Rosen from assisting with negotiations. ALPA has likewise indicated that their Economic and Financial Analysis personnel will no longer participate in our negotiations. ALPA President Captain Lee Moak confirmed termination of the service agreement between APA and ALPA in an Aug. 1, 2011 letter (attached).

"So, not only is the APA-ALPA cooperative relationship now seriously damaged, but our ongoing contract negotiations have also been adversely affected. Simultaneously losing Mr. Rosen's expertise and the quantitative analysis capabilities of ALPA Economic and Financial Analysis represents a major setback.

(continued)

"In addition, Mr. Rosen and ALPA have close ties to the National Mediation Board (NMB), which may interpret this latest development as an indication that the APA leadership is in disarray and unprepared to see negotiations through to their conclusion. The NMB has repeatedly expressed concern that APA's governing documents severely inhibit the APA President from exercising strong leadership. Additionally, the NMB is well aware of the unwillingness of some domicile representatives to permit our Negotiating Committee from effectively engaging with management's negotiators. Before I hired Mr. Rosen, the NMB Chairman recommended that we retain someone like him to help get our house in order. The NMB Chairman also stated that if the APA Board of Directors continued to act irrationally--and if our union continued without a singular leader empowered to make decisions--the NMB would "park" APA for an extended period. If the NMB were to take that step, we would likely be unable to get a release to self-help for years to come.

"Where does this leave us? Before we took office, it had become evident to our membership and to outside observers that APA was internally dysfunctional and unable to complete the process of negotiating and ratifying a contract. Much of this dysfunction was unfairly attributed to the previous National Officers, when in fact it was structural. Just as we began making meaningful progress at the bargaining table, Messrs. Bacon, Roach and Oborski have dealt APA a serious self-inflicted wound that may prove disastrous to our bargaining efforts. It is no coincidence that these three individuals have been actively seeking for some time to undermine your current National Officers.

"We have worked very hard to build bridges to other pilot unions across the globe. Now, due to the actions of a few APA domicile representatives, many of those bridges are on fire. Because of flaws in APA's governing structure, your National Officers unfortunately cannot prevent this kind of destructive behavior. During the past 15 years, the APA Constitution and Bylaws and Policy Manual have undergone more than 100 different revisions sponsored by various domicile representatives (often inexperienced) as reactions to particular events. Many of these changes were haphazard and poorly thought out, with the National Officers having had no vote in their adoption. This accumulation of faulty policymaking limits the National Officers' ability to govern and has produced chronic dysfunction, providing fertile ground for conflict and disunity.

"Our membership voted decisively in the most recent constitutional referendum to retain the right to directly elect their National Officers. What most of our members don't realize is there has been a concerted effort by some of the same domicile representatives responsible for the current crisis to undermine our ability to govern at all--in effect, subverting the will of the membership who elected us to represent them. The three of us have had to spend enormous time and energy dealing with unproductive internal conflict, diverting resources that should be devoted to advancing the membership's interests.

"We have concluded that the best prospect for salvaging negotiations is to appeal to you, the membership, for help. It is our intention to pursue every avenue available to us, including a possible membership referendum to amend the APA Constitution and Bylaws, to ensure greater transparency and empower our members with the final say on how our union is governed.

"When Tony, Scott and I asked you to entrust us with the responsibility of leading APA, we stressed the importance of "unity of leadership." The APA leadership must speak with one voice to be effective at the bargaining table, on Capitol Hill and in the other critical venues where we represent your interests. Right now we are not speaking with one voice and the APA Board of Directors is in disarray, which is costing us dearly. We need to act swiftly and decisively to remedy the problem.

"If, like us, you are shocked and disgusted at the damage caused by a minority of the APA Board of Directors, we suggest you contact your domicile representatives to inform them of your displeasure. We promise to keep you closely informed as this situation unfolds.

"Thank you for your patience and continued support.

"In unity,

"Captain Dave Bates, APA President
First Officer Anthony Chapman, APA Vice President
First Officer Scott Shankland, APA Secretary-Treasurer"

Moak letter explains why ALPA feels insulted by APA

By
Terry Maxon/Reporter
[email protected] | Bio

9:59 AM on Wed., Aug. 3, 2011 | Permalink

As we reported Tuesday evening on Airline Biz , the Air Line Pilots Association won't be helping the Allied Pilots Association any more in APA's contract talks with American Airlines.

With APA paying expenses, ALPA last year loaned out professional negotiator Seth Rosen and the assistance of the ALPA Economic and Financial Analysis unit. It's generally agreed that APA and American have made more progress in the past year than they had in the first four years of talks.

But ALPA, offended by critical remarks made out of the APA's Boston domicile, is ending the cooperation.

Wednesday morning, we received a copy of the letter that ALPA president Lee Moak sent to APA president David Bates on Tuesday to confirm the withdrawal, and to state the reasons.

Moak spends considerable time praising the newly cooperative relationship between ALPA, the largest pilot union in the world, and APA, which represents American's pilots:

"Having come so far in such a short time was a historical accomplishment for all involved. That's why I was very disappointed recently to read statements by members of the APA Board who now proclaim that the professional services being provided to the APA by the Air Line Pilots Association are no longer welcome.
"I am in receipt of the Boston captain representative's view on the Air Line Pilots Association, our professional staff and our members in his recent communiqué to his pilots. I am also aware that representatives at other councils apparently feel the same. Additionally, I am not aware of any Board member responding to these unfounded statements.

"It is for this reason and with deep professional and personal regret that I must inform you that I am terminating the Service Agreement between ALPA and APA under the terms of the agreement. Our professionals will make every effort to work with the APA Negotiating Committee and make the transition proceed as smoothly as possible."

Belatedly, the Dallas/Fort Worth base put up a message on Tuesday that disagreed with the Boston base president's comments.

"It has been said that evil prevails when good men do nothing," DFW base chairman Rusty McDaniels wrote. "The APA corollary could be stupidity prevails when the majority fails to act. For too long, the fringe of APA has driven the discussion. It is long past time that the rank and file makes their voices heard."

From DFW base chairman Rusty McDaniels, and also signed by vice chairman Russ Moore:

"Russ and I are pretty normal guys. We fly our lines and stay away from pay-to-max. We are not, by nature, political guys and brought no baggage into our terms of office. We'd like to think that we were elected for our promise to rise above the in fighting that existed within APA over a year ago to move us to an industry-leading contract.
"Unfortunately, a few members of our APA Board of Directors do not feel the same way. Late last week, the Chairman from Boston authored a base blast that lambasted ALPA, questioned the APA-ALPA relationship, and rose in opposition to ALPA's unionization effort at Jet Blue. We understand that the membership at large could probably care less about these issues. These strategic topics are exactly the kinds of things your elected leaders should discuss and reach consensus on. The problem is that the Board HAD reached consensus on these topics and Captain Bacon's blast was counter to the policy of APA. The more significant fallout form this e-mail blast was that ALPA's leadership was so offended that they have terminated their Services Agreement with APA for the use of Seth Rosen, ALPA professional negotiator, and their Economic and Financial Analysis team. To be blunt, this move deals a significant blow to our current negotiation capability.

"Some serious apologies are due. First, to our brothers at ALPA, Seth Rosen, and the ALPA E&FA committee. Our silence was in no way approval of the Boston blast. In fact, we deeply value the contributions of Seth and E&FA, and strongly believe our mutual interests are best served by a united voice between APA, ALPA, and all our union brothers at other carriers. We should have risen in opposition but we did not. We own that. More importantly, to the pilots of DFW, the irresponsible acts of a few have set back our contract efforts. Russ and I pledge to work to get the process back on track. The future of our profession as airline pilots and careers as American Airlines pilots depend on it.

"It has been said that evil prevails when good men do nothing. The APA corollary could be stupidity prevails when the majority fails to act. For too long, the fringe of APA has driven the discussion. It is long past time that the rank and file makes their voices heard. Send Sound Offs, call or e-mail us, and go to union meetings. Our next one is Aug 23rd. As we just witnessed, a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch."

Looks like someone's Bacon is in the fire.

The guy speaks his mind and people get upset. Happens to everyone from grade school onward. Only now in the 21st century no one has the stomach to just accept why they say what they say and address the issue. Instead they pout and stomp their feet... much like grade school.

"I cannot fathom anyone expecting to have a unified voice of labor when the largest Pilot labor organization speaks for the commuters and regionals over the wishes of the majors, many of them belonging to and paying the lion's share of the dues. They have screwed us on Duty time, ATP Requirements, age 65, security screening, and drug testing, as well, and as much as their own members.
"The support we 'get' for the negotiating coach (Professional Negotiator) and EF+A committee we 'get ' for a half million / year. There is no benevolence, just business. With their loss of the TWA DFR suit, ALPA is left holding the bag for 1.2 billion dollars. (pending appeal) It's a good time for the major airlines to start thinking about organizing a pilots union that represents the issues of our craft and trade, external to ALPA, and without it's 300K plus salaries."

Spot on. This guy tells it like it is, listen up ALPA leadership.

Grow up superatr, and lose the Al Sharpton "I'm a victim" ball cap.

I don't know the details, but Bacon is a straight shooter, most likely too straight for the legions of whiney arses infesting the industry for the last 20 years including Eagle.

Even if he went too far, with proportional representation when it comes to voting as a Domicile Chariman, he represents a number of guys in the single digit percentage points when it comes to voting on anything regarding policy at APA including any TA acceptance.

Translation: ALPA either has much more that they are unhappy with regarding APA (possible, I don't know) or they have made one of the stupidest, immature teenage beetch whiny arse moves in the history of pilot unions with this move. Brilliant move since APA is in just as a critical position as UAL/CAL in setting the standard of pay for all pilots union or not.

As it stands now, I see ALPA behaving more like a group intent on presrving their $300K executive/$150K Magazine Editor salaries than improving the pay of pilots worldwide.

Steve Bacon is surely not ALPA

Apparently Tim Martins is.

APA base officers speak out about the ALPA-APA situation

Maxon%20480X480.jpg

By

Terry Maxon/Reporter

[email protected] | Bio
10:46 PM on Wed., Aug. 3, 2011 | Permalink

Other Allied Pilots Association bases have weighed in Wednesday on APA president Dave Bates' message Tuesday about the withdrawal of Air Line Pilots Association.
Chicago base officers:
"As indicated in the recent National Officer blast, Mr. Seth Rosen and ALPA's Economic & Financial Analysis group have withdrawn their service agreement with APA. "Kevin and I would like to make it clear that we very much appreciated and respected the abilities of Mr. Rosen and the ALPA E&FA group. We felt the team brought valuable education and training to our negotiation team and our Industry Analysis Committee. It is rare to find someone with so much talent and expertise that still believes in helping to strengthen and promote labor's interests -- and we have personally communicated this to Mr. Rosen.
"With that said, let Kevin and I assure you that nothing has stopped working at APA. We are just as committed today as we were yesterday to delivering an industry-leading contract. So now we move on toward a contract with an experienced group of negotiators that has made considerable progress."
From the New York base:
"I've received many emails with questions and comments on APA President Dave Bates' email titled "You Should Have the Final Say" that was sent to you yesterday, August 2, 2011. Instead of sending out numerous private emails, I thought it would be best to discuss the issue here, on the base level. First off, let me say that I valued and enjoyed the interaction with Seth Rosen and the members of the ALPA Economic, Financial and Analysis (EF&A) Department. I also enjoyed meeting and having the ability to chat with ALPA President Lee Moak. It is unfortunate that President Moak decided to pull Seth and we would welcome him back, but rest assured, all is not lost and negotiations will continue. The APA has the ability, the data, the modeling and costing expertise to continue negotiations through our own Director of Industry Analysis, Ms. Allison Clark, and also through our Technical Analysis and Scheduling Committee (TASC). We can and will complete the job. "I decided to retransmit Captain Steve Bacon's email to you titled, "A Message from the BOS Domicile We'd Like to Share" on July 27, 2011 because of the information that was contained within his blast and the mere truthfulness of his message. My transmittal of Steve's message wasn't meant to diminish the value of what ALPA had brought to us. Steve Bacon was straight to the point. Being a union representive requires somewhat of a thick skin and I must say that I was surprised to find out that an email blast on numerous topics, sent by an individual base Chairman, of a base of 358 pilots and retransmitted by myself and the SFO Chair, would be the catalyst and cause of any and all of APA problems as described by Dave Bates. I believe that by pointing fingers at the BOD, President Bates is deflecting any failures that might be placed upon him. There must be something else going on here because the pieces of the puzzle don't seem to fit.
"It was disappointing and alarming to see President Bates take the avenue he did yesterday. The APA BOD is not dysfunctional as President Bates accused. As a matter of fact, we are working very well together. Having served you from November of 2002 through November of 2006, and being a minority member, I know what it is like to work on a BOD that is not working in harmony.
"This BOD is well experienced, is working well with one another and has your best interests at hand. We have, and will continue to work diligently toward getting you an industry leading contract. It is because of this commitment to you, that I will keep the internal squabbling between the National Officers and the BOD out of this email. The BOD has had issues with the President but has kept those issues internal in order to not distract you, nor us, in our efforts to achieve a contract.
"In closing, I'd like to thank all of the APA committee members and volunteers who do the heavy lifting for APA day in and day out. It is not the accomplishments of just one, three, or twenty one members that will lead us to an industry leading contract, it is the collective efforts of ALL of us."
From the San Francisco base:
"The recent system-wide blast from APA's National Officers was unfortunate. These kinds of 'politics' are the kind of thing the APA Board (BOD) has worked very hard to keep out of the union's internal process, and it's the last thing this membership needs to be concerned about right now. We must never lose sight of what's most important- the welfare of APA's pilots, and the role that our united determination will play in securing a new contract. We can't rely on other unions, Wall Street, or the AMR executive suite to provide a solution- APA's line pilots must look to their union leadership - and rely on each other - to secure a new contract. No one else, and no one person, will get this done. The APA BOD has never lost focus on these priorities, and we will maintain it through to completion of our task. It's what you expect of us, it's what you elected us to accomplish, and it is the APA BOD's highest priority. "Every large organization has political 'laundry'- and APA is no different. While there's plenty that Bill and I could say in response to the National Officers' recent blast, we're not going to do so publicly. Our eyes remain where they should be - focused on concluding a new CBA. If you want our unfiltered views on the latest missive, call us and we'll have that conversation in private.
"Bottom line - there is no crisis within APA or the union's bargaining efforts. The current APA BOD is one of the most experienced in a long time. We work well with each other and have maintained a steady focus on the prime objective- a new contract. We are making progress- just not as quickly as any of us would like. While all of us were disappointed to see Seth Rosen and the ALPA E&FA folks depart, the fact is that APA had already garnered enough analytical tools and strategic input from them over the past months to reach our objective of enhancing the effectiveness of APA's bargaining team. The process continues to move forward, APA's squad is capable and fully engaged, and the BOD is determined to reach a successful conclusion to these negotiations ASAP.
"We don't have to remind anyone about the pressing need to wrap up these talks - you and your families live that reality every day. To achieve an acceptable deal as soon as possible the APA BOD is meeting monthly at headquarters, communicating with each other on a daily basis, conducting detailed progress reviews and providing frequent, specific guidance to our negotiators and support committees. The APA BOD and bargaining teams are pushing your agenda forward vigorously at the table, and we are prepared to respond quickly and comprehensively to any new opportunities that may arise during these talks. We will continue to do this until we have obtained a TA that the BOD can approve, and that we can send to you for your vote. We will not relent, nor will we be distracted, until we have completed that mission."

The day that you all realize that there are no "regional pilots" and "major airline pilots" and that we are all JUST PILOTS being manipulated into division by the Air Transport Assoc (like a union for airline ceo's) is the day that we will truly rise up and straighten this profession out.
If your the guy complaining about those damn RJ guys, you are part of the problem.

Latest resources

Back