APA caves on Scope issues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Zipperhead said:
The APA is a ball of spineless *&$&# heads!!! I am ashamed to be represented by these idiots. I've never seen a "union" as week a spineless as this bunch of meatheads. I sincerely wish we (TWA) were never bought by AA!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, yes. I am sure that if AA had not bought out TWA, TWA would now be the powerhouse of the industry--riiiight......

On the other hand, if AA had NOT bought out TWA, perhaps when TWA would have (within a year tops) gone into Ch 7 liquidation, then all the current TWA employees would have been forced to put out apps elsewhere, and you and your brethren might be flying for SWA, FedEx, etc., instead of being furlouged or ultra-junior at AA.

As for the APA being spineless, that is what you get when a once militant union starts believing its own press releases etc., and that culminated in the sickout that resulted in the $55 million (?) fine against the union--effectively emasculating it.

Sometimes not listening to the radical elements in your union is the best thing pilots can do--not that many on this board will agree.

Zipperhead said:
The APA is a ball of spineless *&$&# heads!!! I am ashamed to be represented by these idiots. I've never seen a "union" as week a spineless as this bunch of meatheads. I sincerely wish we (TWA) were never bought by AA!!!!!!!!!!
Zipperhead...

That horse is a skeleton right now. No need to bring it up ONCE AGAIN!

Having said that, I share your views regarding the APA, as well as most AA pilots these days. I think if you want to find a union that is universally admired, look no further than SWAPA. Most of my ALPA buddies at the other airlines share the same disdain for ALPA, as I'm sure you TWAers also do.

Jeff Helgeson, I should be hitting the "Corner" sometime around February, what flavor of beer you guys been drinking lately?

aa73

apa is a corrupt organization representing an equally corrupt and morally bereft group of constituents. The phrase "as you sow so shall you reap" springs to mind.

I do feel badly for one in eight of the impending furloughs.

JohnQ,

I never said in my posting that TWA would be a powerhouse right now. I was simply stating that maybe TWA would still be operating, perhaps in bankruptcy as is USAirways and United. Perhaps another carrier would have bought TWA. No one will ever know.

As I was coming up the ranks at the commuters and filling out apps, I never submitted one to AA because I never wanted to be part of their culture. I simply don't care for a big company who could give a s*&t about their employees.

Yes, I realize their are other choices and I am exploring every one of them.

Well, I'm coming out to say I think the APA got a good deal on this. After all, what we have here is only a technical violation of the scope. CHQ is flying the 170s for United so there's no deleterious effect on APA's flying. Yes, it's a violation and that makes it significant but in the big scheme of things is not worthy of a sick-out or any other drastic measure. Plus it's only temporary until CHQ gets the Republic certificate in order. There, I'm done.

Zipperhead said:
JohnQ,

I never said in my posting that TWA would be a powerhouse right now. I was simply stating that maybe TWA would still be operating, perhaps in bankruptcy as is USAirways and United. Perhaps another carrier would have bought TWA. No one will ever know.

As I was coming up the ranks at the commuters and filling out apps, I never submitted one to AA because I never wanted to be part of their culture. I simply don't care for a big company who could give a s*&t about their employees.

Yes, I realize their are other choices and I am exploring every one of them.
As usual my post came out far more cavalier than I meant it to be. I have a good friend that is former TWA, and here at DAL (my carrier) we have quite a few TWA guys--all great guys, and all loved TWA. The numbers, limited route structure, and debt (much due to rapists like Icahn) were just too much for the airline. I did not mean to minimize your former great carrier.

I wish you the best in your future flying--however you would define that!

Save your money for a squeegie.......

aa73 said:
Jeff Helgeson, I should be hitting the "Corner" sometime around February, what flavor of beer you guys been drinking lately?

aa73

....or you could just sqwander it on malt liquor in a quart bottle!

We've got a good gig doing windows witha squirt bottle and a squeegie, it's not a nice gig, but it pays the bills!

I recall when I got furloughed from AA three years ago and my wife was pregnant with no health insurance. I remember moving in with my in-laws and going into debt. I also remember not being able to find a job.

I also distinctly remember going on the AAPilots.com webpage and seeing a post by a dude going on and on about how his wife got bumped while she was non-reving. There were lots of others complaining too about the most trivial stuff in the world.

There are a bunch of guys like me who are going to change the persona of APA when we get back. How about taking care of the junior guys? How about working with management to save the company?

Some of you should read the chapter of Hard Landing that details how Eastern went out of business. It might sound familiar to you.

On the corner,

It doesn't matter what you drink... as long as it's in a paper bag. ;)

Furloughed twice - never again!

JohnQ said:
Oh, yes. I am sure that if AA had not bought out TWA, TWA would now be the powerhouse of the industry--riiiight......

On the other hand, if AA had NOT bought out TWA, perhaps when TWA would have (within a year tops) gone into Ch 7 liquidation, then all the current TWA employees would have been forced to put out apps elsewhere, and you and your brethren might be flying for SWA, FedEx, etc., instead of being furlouged or ultra-junior at AA.

As for the APA being spineless, that is what you get when a once militant union starts believing its own press releases etc., and that culminated in the sickout that resulted in the $55 million (?) fine against the union--effectively emasculating it.

Sometimes not listening to the radical elements in your union is the best thing pilots can do--not that many on this board will agree.
Completely ingnoring the fact there was another suitor for
TWA as TWA, not an effort to eliminate competition by
purchasing an essentially good operation and disembowling
it.

Everything I have seen to do with amr is disfunctional...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back