Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Press Release Source: Allied Pilots Association

Allied Pilots Association Authorizes Immediate Contractual Changes Allowing American Airlines to Operate DFW-Beijing Flights
Thursday November 16, 3:18 pm ET
'We are pleased to be part of developing this new market opportunity'

FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Allied Pilots Association (APA), collective bargaining agent for the 13,000 pilots of American Airlines (NYSE:AMR - News), has authorized American Airlines to immediately begin flight operations between Dallas-Fort Worth and Beijing, China, pending the Department of Transportation's decision on route authority for new China service. The DOT is expected to announce within the next several weeks which of four carriers vying for new China service--American, Continental, Northwest or United--will be granted the route authority.

"APA recognizes how valuable DFW-Beijing service would be to American Airlines, north Texas and the broad domestic and international network our airline serves through its DFW hub," said APA President Captain Ralph Hunter. "We are pleased to be a part of our airline's effort to develop this new market opportunity."

APA presented American Airlines management with a signed letter of agreement today that authorizes DFW-Beijing service. The current APA-American Airlines collective bargaining agreement contains language governing extended long-haul flying such as DFW-Beijing on a city pair-specific basis only, which means airline management must secure an agreement with APA for this new service. This letter of agreement specifies what the pilots will receive in exchange for providing the necessary contractual relief.

"We are seeking a number of no-cost items for our pilots, while the minimal cost associated with the remaining items will be more than offset by the additional revenue and cost savings potential our agreement will generate," said Hunter. "Given our pilots' role as critical partners in our airline's ongoing recovery, we are confident that American Airlines will acknowledge this agreement as a fair exchange of value.

"With the stroke of a pen, American Airlines can signal to the DOT that it is ready and willing to operate DFW-Beijing," said Hunter.

Founded in 1963, APA is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. There are currently 2,852 American Airlines pilots on furlough. The furloughs began shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Also, several hundred American Airlines pilots are on full-time military leave of absence serving in the armed forces. The union's Web site address is www.alliedpilots.org. American Airlines is the nation's largest passenger carrier.

"We are seeking a number of no-cost items for our pilots, while the minimal cost associated with the remaining items will be more than offset by the additional revenue and cost savings potential our agreement will generate," said Hunter. .

So what did we GET for this deal? We are in section 6, yes? A bargaining position? So what did we get for this CONCESSION????

From the email I got it looks like free high speed Internet on your layovers was a top five priority. What a joke! How about pass privileges for all the furloughee's that payed the ultimate price at AA!

These are the guys that accepted the B-Scale to eternity along with going to their knees with the threat of ch11. Did anyone expect them to hold strong now? Oh well, they will probably get the China route and then buy NWA and staple my sorry ass behind the TWA guys.. Time to find another career.:bawling:

Glad to see that they held out of longevity for furloughed pilots.

I had a buddy of mine call me last week. He just turned down his DAL recall. They told him that he would lose his medical bennies (we never had them) but he could keep his travel bennies.

Not even a bone for the 2800+ furloughed pilots.

These are the guys that accepted the B-Scale to eternity along with going to their knees with the threat of ch11. Did anyone expect them to hold strong now? Oh well, they will probably get the China route and then buy NWA and staple my sorry ass behind the TWA guys.. Time to find another career.:bawling:

Who said AA was getting the route....

I don't think they were awarded this route yet, were they?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't think they were awarded this route yet, were they?

Bye Bye--General Lee

No. This is a route to be decided by the DOT for next year. I believe CAL is also trying to get this route authority. Any CAL guys/gals want to chime in on this?

Latest resources

Back