• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AOPA article "5 More Years"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm afraid a lot of you still don't get it. Not every single pilot will stay to age 65. If you do, you get to be relatively more senior than if everyone retired at 60. Your career will be better off for having the choice to stay or to go.

P.S. Twombly is only reporting what his brothers are saying. Don't kill the messenger.

Not sure whether I'll be better off or not. I won't until I'm 65. My issue really wasn't with age 60; it's the flawed logic in the "getting the trips I want" argument and complete failure to even hint at another legitimate viewpoint.

First off Instructor Dude needs to be permantly banded fromed this site.
Second, I have been paying AOPA dues for 8 years, and support most of their causes. But they issued a statement a month ago stating it was about time the age 60 rule was changed to 65 due to age discrimination. What?! If age 60 is age discrimination, so is age 65! Anyway this last article really takes the cake. I am going to respond to them that they need to consintrate on the user fee issues, not the issues of the 121 world. If they keep this up, I will stop paying my dues. This article is completly out of hand. By the way, AOPA blames the airlines for suggesting user fees for GA. Hmmm-

HAL, I don't think you get it. Age 65 is here...fine, we're all dealing with it. What I have a problem with is the total lack of judgment on both Gerry AND Mark's parts for printing such crass comments. It's one thing to make such comments to a close confidante in hushed tones over an adult beverage, it's quite another to publish them in one of the most widely-read aviation magazines in the country! This a is a zero-sum game. Gerry's windfall is coming at the expense of all those who must endure flying with him. I hope they make his life a living hell for the next eight years. :uzi:

I continue to be amazed by the animosity toward pilots whose mandatory retirements happened to coincide with peak pension-rape. Guess what kids? It's not all about you. And yeah, guys sticking around another few years is going to hit me right in the wallet. I got over it; you might want to consider doing the same.

First off Instructor Dude needs to be permantly banded fromed this site.
Second, I have been paying AOPA dues for 8 years, and support most of their causes. But they issued a statement a month ago stating it was about time the age 60 rule was changed to 65 due to age discrimination. What?! If age 60 is age discrimination, so is age 65! Anyway this last article really takes the cake. I am going to respond to them that they need to consintrate on the user fee issues, not the issues of the 121 world. If they keep this up, I will stop paying my dues. This article is completly out of hand. By the way, AOPA blames the airlines for suggesting user fees for GA. Hmmm-

Heyas NJ,

First and formost, you have to understand the AOPA demographic. There are LOT of folks in that group who have made enough $$$ and own their own ride, and quite a few of them turbine.

Back when I joined, the heaviest iron you'd ever seen in the mag was a Malibu. Now there's plenty of turbine stuff (read $$$), because that's what their demographic has moved into. How many of us at FI can afford their own turbine rig (or heck, even a Cub or LSA?)

These type of people have a lot of bread, and it wasn't made by huffing it between Boston and Cleveland 15 days a month. Those type of folks have more in common with our management than the pilots, and probably have the same thought processes (IE pensions).

Personally, I agree with AOPA on a lot of things, such as the user fee debacle, airport preservation, etc. The AOPA Air Safety Foundation does fantastic work. But don't expect them to cater to, or even understand, the mindset of the working pilot.

Of course, ALPA pushed through 65 as well, and we PAY them. How smart does that make us? Why wasn't there a wholesale recall of Prater and the leadership at each airline that participated in the age 65 voting? The only leadership group that voted against it was NWA's.

Nu

I gotta say that I don't see anything wrong with the article either. It is what it is....

I don't know ANY pilot who doesn't have the "it's all about me" attitude. Isn't it all about us individually, really? There are those very few now and then who seemingly take a hit for the greater good of the majority, but I suspect that doesn't happen often.

You Fedex boys don't have a hair on your collective arse if this tool hasn't received a hot steamy one in his brain bag yet. What a JERK! (sad thing is we've got plenty of the same ilk over here)

Deleted

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think there are alot of these "D-bag attitudes" in the airline arena right now...he really just makes his brother shine as the lead one...

tha saddest part is that these fdx guys did not lose their retirements and still can't afford to leave....ex-wives..bad investments or just greed...very sad

Age 60+ Pilots: "Hey guys look at this awesome dinner we cooked up for everyone!!! Too bad we ate it all before you got here! There's some B-scale in the fridge though if you're still hungry."

Latest resources

Back