Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anything in the FAR's that pisses you off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
700 Hour Jet Pilot?

A Squared said:
Not much.

PIC requirements:

PArt 121. ATP
Part 135, ATP for some ops, 1200 tt for others*

SIC requirements:

part 121, comm multi/IR, no minimum time
part 135, comm multi/IR, no minimum time

Looks to me like the requiremnts are pretty similar to me, with 121 being slightly more stringent in some cases .... what was your point again?

*Ignores VFR only ops which only require Comm/IR + 500 hr.

The point is that it is sad that regionals hire guys with 700 hours and stick them in the right seat of an RJ carrying 50 people. Sure there are two pilots up front, but how much can you really trust that guy in the right seat if things get messy? I think there needs to be some kind of minimum time for SIC 121 ops.

91.13 Careless and reckless. I don't like broad-sweeping all-encompassing regulations that seem to give any government body too much power. I would prefer they do not make up the regulations as they go along and I don't think it fair that they add this to many other charges just to come down heavier on everyone.

NoPax said:
135 drug testing program required for scenic flights...I used to make 210/hr from doing them in a 172, (6 people pay 35 bucks each, .5 on hobbs for the flight), but can't anymore - besides not much to see where I'm at, now that I am 135.

6 pax in a 172??

135 drug testing program required for scenic flights...I used to make 210/hr from doing them in a 172, (6 people pay 35 bucks each, .5 on hobbs for the flight), but can't anymore - besides not much to see where I'm at, now that I am 135.

6 pax in a 172??

I have to wonder why he suddenly quit making that two hundred ten bucks an hour because of drug testing was mandated. That probably explains how he got six people in the 172...;) .

I think he's saying three people for a half hour flight at thirty five bucks a pop, times two to make one hour of flying, for a total of six folks and two hundred ten bucks earned.

That's not nearly enough to support that drug habit, though...

What part of the regulations piss me off? I'd have to say the whole sport pilot thing, STC's for the use of auto fuel, and the requirement for night training in autogyros.

Otherwise, they're perfect.

More or less.

Or less.

Less.

Good point on the sport pilot issue avbug. Why make it easier for lunkheads to get in the sky and endanger others?

414flyer said:
6 pax in a 172??

avbug said:
think he's saying three people for a half hour flight at thirty five bucks a pop, times two to make one hour of flying, for a total of six folks and two hundred ten bucks earned.

Avbug's got it.

avbug said:
That's not nearly enough to support that drug habit, though...

:laugh:

Yeah yeah..haha.. I knew there was something I wasnt getting :)

Go deeper into the duty/rest and the fatigue that it causes. try to find out some of the "rolling 1 in 7" days off. Or the lack of notifcation during a long delay. recently had a situation where the A/C had a "hard mechanical" the kind of break down when the in-flight mechanic goes to the hotel. Bad. the crew wasn't informed (they could've stayed at the hotel) and beween the delay and the following duty after the plane was fixed the crew was up for 24 hours. not fun. A good union contract does help, but given the current state of union power, who knows. It gets to the point where " there outta be a law"

JAFI said:
How about a discussion on your opinion of "Can the teaching of the Code of Federal regulations (14CFR) be done better?"

Were you happy with the way you were taught in ground school? Did you feel prepared when you began flying? Can you suggest a way to better prepare student pilots for their (say private pilot experience)?

I agree...a good example from my experience is 135.379, obstacle clearance requirements for takeoff. Seems like it ought to be easy to figure out, but somehow the FAA's airport survey data is instantly invalid, and you have to have a 3rd party vendor figure your max takeoff weight for low vis takeoffs. (at least, that's the version that the latest ops inspector gave me).

The worst is when the training starts off "I'll teach you everything you need to know about climb performance." Invariably, "how not to hit stuff on takeoff" isn't something you need to know.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back