Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anything in the FAR's that pisses you off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They call FSS (or maybe another way i don't know of)

But they don't know fuel on board, souls on board, pilots name, contact info, until they want it.

ATC guys would know better.

1st class med.

I can fly single pilot in a King Air 350 part 135 with a second class medical.

With the jet I fly I need TWO pilots and a 1st class medical for part 135 Turbojet.

Now, if I die even though my 1st class and EKG say I am OK, I have a second pilot. What about the guy with the same number of passengers with no EKG and no Second pilot?

Who really needs the 1st class medical?

That should make a good essay!

Tackleberry said:
I'm trying to put together an argumentitive essay for class, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to come up with a topic. I'd like to keep in aviation related, as thats my back round, but I'll venture into unkown lands.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks

Tackle "Jarhead" Berry.

How about a discussion on your opinion of "Can the teaching of the Code of Federal regulations (14CFR) be done better?"

Were you happy with the way you were taught in ground school? Did you feel prepared when you began flying? Can you suggest a way to better prepare student pilots for their (say private pilot experience)? You can argue the time, cost vs. the level of understanding a private (commercial/CFI, etc.) has when completing school. Just a few thoughts.
Begining a paper with the list of regulations that "piss me off" may not be the way to go. What pisses you off may not be of intrest to your instructor.

Also, If you wish to provide an argument, you will need to discuss both sides.

JAFI

P.S. How about: Money/glory vs. quality of life

100 dollar hambugher or BBQ. (I vote for the Moonlight BBQ in Owensboro KY.)

To argue or not to argue, Is it really worth the time?

Last edited:
The no duty time limit for international 121 supplemental crews. Its already caused accidents and will again someday.

Superpilot92 said:
Not having 135 mins to get a job in the 121 business. you have to have 1200tt to fly frieght but only a commercial multi to fly peeps. if you were to add the same mins to 121 flying you would pretty much eliminate the buy your job type schools or the 3month zero to hero schools.

what do you think about them meatballs?
Not much.

PIC requirements:

PArt 121. ATP
Part 135, ATP for some ops, 1200 tt for others*

SIC requirements:

part 121, comm multi/IR, no minimum time
part 135, comm multi/IR, no minimum time

Looks to me like the requiremnts are pretty similar to me, with 121 being slightly more stringent in some cases .... what was your point again?

*Ignores VFR only ops which only require Comm/IR + 500 hr.

I'm leaning towards the duty/rest periods. Thanks for all your ideas. I'll let you know how I do.

Cheers.
Tacks.

How come you can fly over MGW in Alaska?

What is "known icing conditions"? Why isn't there a 91.whocares that says "Known Icing Conditions is..."?

By two biggest pet peeves...maybe someone knows the answer, I'm all ears.

-mini

Pet Peeves

I'll give it a shot.

You can fly overweight in Alaska if you're granted the exemption from the FAA. I think it's 5% or 10%. And if you're smart you'll carry that extra weight in fuel. As you can imagine, not every town in Alaska has Signature Flight Support.

As for known icing conditions...

...Here's my edit...

I got really bored so I did the research on Doc's FAR Bulletin Board www.propilot.com and followed a couple links.

Why there is no explicit definition of "known icing" in the FARs, I have no idea.

But the following decisions seem to be the most pertinent.

Good luck.

http://www.ntsb.gov/O_n_O/docs/AVIATION/4667.pdf
http://www.ntsb.gov/O_n_O/docs/AVIATION/3770.pdf

Last edited:
Duty Time Rest Time

FAR 121 Rest is the Biggest B.S. in the reg's. The FAA was pressured by industry lobbiest (sp) to leave it at 8 hours minimum.

I've had this happen to me so many times. Arrive at the gate, duty out 15 minutes later (doesn't matter when you actually get off the plane, 15 min after you set the brake your 8 hours will start) wait for the hotel van (he's late again) 30 min ride to the hotel, check in, undress and unwind (30 min) sleep maybe 6 hrs tops, shower, coffee and stale danish (pick up USA Today, unless weekend) 30 min to airport and you find that there is a delay of some sort.

Instead of sleeping in, you rushed to sit on your duff. Now you fly all day, scheduled duty day, but due to delays and cancellations you fly 3 hrs. You're only paid three hours plus whatever per diem ($1.50). People think we have it made. But, I still wouldn't trade it for anyother job.

A pilot who is dual qualified as PIC in the DC-9 under Part 121, and PIC in the LJ under Part 135. The FAA will count the 6 month check in the DC-9 for the 135.297 ride, but it will not count the the 121,441 Line check for the 135.299 line check. We are authorized under 135.3 (c) to do all of our training and checking under 121 subparts N and O. Go figure, BTW the they will accept a 121.441 line in the DA-20 to be allowed for the LJ 135.299

Latest resources

Back