Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyother July 12 Colgan Air interviewee's out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wha?!!!

Holy smokes, the saloon just got real quiet!
Captboy2001, why you gotta hate?? Do you come from authority on this subject? If so, perhaps you can enlighten us. I've gotta hear your take on this matter.

Jason

chperplt said:
ATTENTION PLEASE...ANYONE WHO CAN SAY FOR A FACT THAT COLAN AIR IS "NOT" A BAD PLACE TO WORK IS EITHER MANAGEMENT OR AN OWNER.. OR BOTH.

Chperplt, I don't know what your aviation background is, but from my experience, Colgan is a hell of a lot better than my last flying job. Don't get me wrong, Colgan sure aint perfect. But I don't think its a "bad" place to work. I'm not management. I'm not owner. Don't want to be either. I love flying the line. If there is a safety issue, tell them no. If they want you to talk to the CP or DO because you won't take a plane, then talk to them. What's the problem?

ifly

ifly34 said:
Chperplt, I don't know what your aviation background is, but from my experience, Colgan is a hell of a lot better than my last flying job. Don't get me wrong, Colgan sure aint perfect. But I don't think its a "bad" place to work. I'm not management. I'm not owner. Don't want to be either. I love flying the line. If there is a safety issue, tell them no. If they want you to talk to the CP or DO because you won't take a plane, then talk to them. What's the problem?

ifly
Come back in a year and tell us if you're singing the same tune. Try a little less cool-aid, it helps you see better.

Wrong Again

Seems like a lot of resentment out there. Im not a owner or management, just somonere who worked there a long time. Granted it is not perfect, but flying an unsafe airplane is YOUR fault no one elses. I can guarantee if you felt pressured it was how you handled the situation. Sounds like someone needs to grow up.

Hey i still work there. I'm an ass clown. I'm an ass clown cowboy. I'm an ass clown colgan cowboy. For any colgan ass clown services please direct them to: [email protected] and kick those nasty thoughts , i love working here. Our planes mostly have new paint, and new interior carpets and seats. We also got some new colgan air laynards. They are alright. We are also getting some new engines for a few of our beech 1900's. Anybody with CRj's getting new engines??? I thought not. We are also getting a bunch of new fresh employee's. And new saabs to our fleet. Quote time!

"they both got on with air wisky"
"already???"
"we need you to work on your day off, we can't offer you anything, we have no FO's"
" i heard one ruined an engine in boston?"
"i heard one blew up an engine in west virginia"
"the fire handle light would just flicker, not stay on"
" he said TSA verse colgan is like night and day"
"colgan mainline isn't losing any FO's"
"the c models are not going till the end of the year"
" i got a commutair interview"
"they called him with a cell phone so it wouldn't be recorded"

I made up the commutair one, but...it's just a matter of time.

u have no clue on what u r talking about..
Hey captboy2001...you need to come lick my balls. Put in half the sweat and hard work I did in that craphole and then talk to me. I think 3 years and 2 dead friends qualifies me to speak on the matter.... So in the meantime, take your (I'm making an assumption here) PFT ass back inside the books and learn a little more about what real pilots do.

bigboeings

A lot of resentment.... Hell ya there is a lot of resentment. You may have worked there during the cherished time, but you obviously haven't been there for years. From 2000 on the place was an absolutely nightmare.

Forget the lack of quality of life and scheduling nightmares, the maintenance was just horrible. Anyone remember a ramp check in LGA that found over 100 items of interest on a lovely 1900 C? Anyone remember how long it was in MNZ getting fixed? Anyone remember how many 1900 Ds were written up for trim problems?? Anyone remember the result of all those write-ups??? If you don't remember, I'll enlighten you... Two pilots are dead. They aren't dead because they flew a broken airplane.. They are dead because the company sent them on a illegal ferry flight and didn't have courtesy to inform them of the true problem with the airplane.. Had they known, maybe they could have diagnosed the problem before they hit the water at 250 knots.. Sounds like a stellar company to me..

Hey captboy... You're a dumbass..

"he responded with....come lick my balls!"
"THAT IS AWESEOME!!!!"
"Lick my balls doesn't get censored on flight info?"
"he interviewed at expressjet last week"
"i'm not wearing my colgan laynard, it easily gives away that i am not a jet pilot for a real regional, i can't have that"
"i'm not wearing my colgan laynard....f*ck this place"
"he went over to comair"
"he's going to ASA, and...he was close to upgrade"
"f#ck this place"
"f#ck the dam place"
"f#ck"
"I got screwed so bad this week...they didn't even use any lube!!!! and it hurts"
"f*cken $hit"

It's so nice to come home after a late night sim and have some entertainment! God knows saturday night TV sucks. With respect to an earlier post of mine, Colgan believes in following regs, just their interpretation of them. A few other thoughts;

- Colgan works for some, not for others. It worked for me, but still blows.

- bigboeingboy, there is a huge difference between 'not a bad place to work' and working at a place in which you gain good experience. I'm grateful for the flight experience that I gained there, it helped me advance to a better job. However, due to a select few people (DR,DN, and whoever pulls their strings), the place sucks, bottom line. Also, a real company respects the Captain's decision w/ regards to safety and you don't get told by each and every dispatcher, after making your decision, to standby for the DO. If later its found out that the Captain may have been in error, then he/she will have to dance. So go back to your fantasy world that all is ok at Colgan land and have fun at the next sim check you do for them -- I know the free hotel room at the LGA Clarion really helps out for the commute to JFK. If that last sentence doesn't click, than my guess is wrong.

- ifly34, keep the faith, you'll need it.

- BRA, the quotes keep getting better, keep 'em up.

- captboy, nevermind, not worth it.

- Chperplt, keep slinging those flaps and gear. I've almost got it down on the 71 with one more sim until my check. Is it gear down, landing checks, then lever? I'm having trouble with that. If you have the answer, please PM me!

Enough

Seems like this conversation is gone far enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Everyone good luck in their ambitions. Happy flying

How about a few quotes off the interview site:

"I think they expect a technically competent pilot, and are interested in the type of person/employee you will be."

"Great Experience with Colgan Air!"

"Colgan looks like a great place to work for!"

"They are buying 3 new Saab 340s so they need 30 pilots just to cover the 3 new planes. Also they are having trouble with losing pilots to other airlines with CRJs so they are going to need alot more pilots. Looks like it is going to be a great company to work for. Pay is $20/hr with 75 guaranteed hours per month.Chance to get some awesome experience in 121 ops, turbine and fast upgrade times. I'm really looking foward to training!"

"Company looks very promising and stable. I believe they have plans in case US Air tanks. Upgrade time is good. Management seems to be fantastic."

"I am very excited to be a part of this company. They are hiring many more in '04. Good luck!"

"Mr Colgan is looking for people who will stay with the company more than a year. They do not fly jets! and they have no intentions on getting jets! That is a concern to them because they must be loosing pilots to the RJ's. He/they will tell you outright, if your looking for a jet - go someplace else."

Here are my favorites:

"Pay may be a bit lower than some, but you will not paying union dues, so it may average out nicely."

"Need 100 plus pilots. Having some turnover now. Upgrade to captain at about 1 year. Pay is better than most, including a number of jet regionals. Colgan may be getting jets and has several plans in place in case USAir goes away. I hope I get the job."

"sim instructors were cool, nothing crazy, NO DME ARCS, or anything like that"

I must admit however, i posted some similar gauge years ago and felt the same as these people did after i interviewed. I don't feel as excited now...but i have enjoyed probably 80% of my experience here. The place does have some growing pains that are to be expected when a company grows. Independence is having them as well. They may be about to furlough...at colgan the threat of furlough is slim. You'll probably be at another regional before you ever get furloughed. Whether or not you get the saab or the beech seems to have a huge impact on how much a person likes it here though. Unless you are bigboeings. The place worked well for him and that's cool too. Gives those still here some hope right?

Latest resources

Back