• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

anyone use lightspeeds?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got a set of used refurbished lightspeeds about seven or eight years ago when they were offering them with a special deal to flight instructors. I was flying a heavy tanker at the time, and they stayed in a fairly abusive environment. Extremely hot a lot of the time, and exposure to ungodly noise. They wouldn't work on takeoff at full power, but as soon as we reduced power, they were fine.

It was the first time I was able to hear anyone on the intercom in the airlplane. It made a huge difference.

While departing Lake City, FL, we just entered the overcast, when the right earcup fell off; the headband broke and the headset fell off my head. I had a roll of electrical tape in my flight suit, and I made a quick repair. I flew it that way for a couple of months until I ended up back in Florida again. One day the right earcup quit; it wasn't making any sound and the ANR didn't work in it, which even worse than wearing no headset at all. The next day was my day off, and I fedexed it to lightspeed.

A day later my headset was back, refurbished, new earseals (which have never given me any problem), a new power cord and battery box, new headband, new mic cover. No questions asked. All I paid was the shipping to get it there.

In my opinion, they're every bit as good as Bose, a whole lot less expensive, and I think they're more comfortable. I've done long flights with the Lightspeeds with no discomfort, where flights with some of my other headsets would have left me with a splitting headache after a few hours.

I haven't tried the new ones, but I'm betting they're every bit as good.

I think they have a trade up program to the 30-3G if you're interested in getting a new pair. I love the 30-3Gs, really comfortable and the ANR is fantastic. My only complaint is battery life-- they tend to die every 25 hours it seems.

groundpointsix said:
I think they have a trade up program to the 30-3G if you're interested in getting a new pair. I love the 30-3Gs, really comfortable and the ANR is fantastic. My only complaint is battery life-- they tend to die every 25 hours it seems.

Rechargeables brotha!!!

I have about 12 rechargeable AA batteries, 4 for the lightspeeds (2 extra just in case), 6 for the Garmin 295, and 2 for the 6mp digi camera. Charge them all up about once every two weeks.

Good luck!

Just Arrived!!

Got a set of brand new 30 3G's, day before yesterday, from Sporty's:

$584.20 including $18.95 S&H, with the 5% AOPA discount; 5 year warranty.

Can't wait to get in the air and try them out. When I turned them on at home it went from all the normal background noise to pure, graveyard quiet. Pretty cool.

BTW, I've been trying to buy a set off eBay for more than 6 months but finally just gave up and bit the bullet because the selling price of the used or "almost new" ones is almost as much as the "real" new ones from the various dealers and.... I've got somebody I can beech at, if anything does go wrong.

Beeching is one of my favorite pastimes. :D

anyone use lightspeeds?

No, no lightspeeds to slow. We must go straight to Ludacris speed!!! (Gasp!) Sorry, i had to say it. I have used both the Boseand the lightspeed. I think i prefer the bose. Just my .02

They have a reconditioned 20xl available at their store. I picked up my 25xl refurbished from them a couple months ago, but they don't seem to have it at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back