• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone interviewing??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well give us some background, flight time, general area you are willing to live etc. We can't help if we don't know anything.
FD

It amazes me that some people on this board can be total dicks. I wonder if they are like that in real life as well.. sheesh.

I would have to agree with Bobby, hit the pavement, internet, etc etc.

I'm on my 3rd job, ok, I flew skydivers, delivered king airs, and now I'm a flight instructor, but I found all, they didn't find me.

I've been working on setting up an Act! database with all the regionals, cargo and charter companies I can find, which helps me manage resumes that I send out and responses that I get.

Granted, I'm only at 1150 hours, but I know that using this tactic and the tactics in the "Job Hunting for Pilots" that when I am qualifed and being persistant, that I will find a job.

Here's the biggest problem that I think I've had to deal with, depression and frustration. These two just kill your motivation and it takes a lot to get it going and if you can't, they just suck you in more and more and more. Pretty soon it's too late. I'm single so the only person I have to worry about is me, in this particular case, I'm glad, I couldn't imagine dragging someone else through this.

Good luck

b

Your feelings as a wife are just as understandable as his....
I hope my future spouse will take your route as opposed to others if I someday find myself in his position.

Good luck with the search, get him involved in his free time(if there is any), and then pat yourself on the back for sticking with him through better or worse. I'm sure he appreciates it deep down even though he might not show it.

T-hawk

There are men in this world, and I guess pilots, that aren't man enough to get a woman of their own. They have to slamm a woman's husband with the hope that she will she him as a knight in shinning armour. Ususally known as wife stealing............happens alot especially when you are on deployment.

Nicole,

I understand a little of what you're going through. Two years ago, my boyfriend (now fiance) was furloughed from Eagle and went through a period of depression that sent him into a quarter-life crisis. It was really hard for me to stand by and not be able to fully comprehend his pain, and most of all not be able to help him. This strained our relationship more than I'd like to admit. But eventually, about 9 months later, his job searching paid off and now he's working at the regionals again.

I understand you really want to help him, but you cannot take his career into your hands. Whether you like it or not, his pilot career is HIS career. All regionals seem to have their pros and cons, and unless you know exactly what company(ies) your husband would be happy to work for, it's probably not a good idea to send out his resume to just any regional that is hiring. You have to have a really good grasp on all of the factors like upgrade times, retirement, guaranteed hours, bases, junior manning, pay rates, etc. in order to make an informed decision about what company will be best for your husband and your family. Hey, if you have all that stuff down, then congrats to you and best of luck helping him out! But if not, you may end up doing more damage and garnering contempt or frustration from your husband if you forge ahead and and send resumes to the "wrong" airlines.

Also, sending his resume behind his back may not be well-received; it wouldn't feel like "his" achievement if anything were to come of it. I know nothing about you and your husband, and maybe he wouldn't react negatively at all to your assistance, but I do know that if he wants to get back into things and delve into a job search, it should be a decision he comes to himself, when he is ready--so that he can take ownership of conquering one of the most unfortunate pitfalls of the airline industry.

It may be that he feels like he's exhausted all airline job avenues and that's why he's depressed; in that case, be the best encourager you can be. Do some research to find leads, hand him the information and then let him do the rest. After all, it is HE who must get the motivation to gear up for an interview, that is something that you cannot do.

Most of all, you hang in there! I hope that this is a phase that ends, as it did for my fiance. Just give it time, and never give up being supportive, as you seem to be. It is natural that you and your children will feel the effects of your husband's unhappiness; but marriage is about being there for better or for worse. Remember, one day you may need his unwaivering support and understanding if, God forbid, you end up jobless.

Best Regards,
CG

Happy New Year to all!

It amazes me that some people on this board can be total dicks. I wonder if they are like that in real life as well.. sheesh.

What do you expect? Do you read the rest of his posts?

Getting back to the problem at hand, take the advice offered above. Resumes at the ready, and a list of people he's never contacted to look for work are a good start. When he's not turning wrenches he should be poking around here and networking at the airport. We could probably be more helpful if we knew all the vital stats, like TT, multi, etc.

Until a job becomes a reality, suggest that he take as many of the ASE tests as he can so he can command top wage in his shop. With four master's certificates I was able to snag almost $22 per flat rate hour after five years in one shop. With the higher wage, he can afford to stay current and have some fun once in a while.

He's lucky to have someone who cares enough to ask for help here, instead of what one poster suggested.

Cathay Pacific (Hong Kong) also hiring. Minimum requirements ATP, multi, 1000 hours for Second Officer (cruise pilot/relief - NOT sideways - on B744 or A340), but current successful hires are at about 3000 hours. No training bond.

Net package for a new joiner is at US$90K per year, S/O for three years (at present), housing, medical and education allowance, superannuation all extras. F/O at $130K + a year, Captain at $250K +. Great flying. Work hard, play hard. Get to see Asia and Australasia, Europe, Africa and China, it would be perfect if the Company treated employees with a bit more respect, but it's almost the best out there.

Tell your boyfriend to send a resume' (CV) to:

[email protected] (Recruitment Manager)

what are the competitive times for cathay pacific?

scubabri said:
It amazes me that some people on this board can be total dicks.

It amazes me that it amazes you :D. There are many people on this board who are frustrated for many reasons. Sure that does not grant the right to be a dick but this is a public forum so try to educate the public LOL.

On the subject I just wanted to say that I can somewhat understand your husband. I agree not flying makes a pilot wannabe/ or on furlough cranky. I am training only but there was a period when I have not seen an airplane between my IFR ticket and the Commercial for exactly 1 year. I had no $$ to fly. I was depressed and with an IFR ticket only you can't go job hunting. Not that with a commercial SEL you can. But every day you must do your non-flying job and have this feeling of being in a never ending loop. Not progressing (training wise or not getting the hours after you have all your training) while time keeps going by... extremely frustrating especially if you are a bit older.

But the advices in above posts make sense. He should take control.

Latest resources

Back