• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotswife

Hi All

Happy New Year!

Just wanted to touch base here and find out if any of the regionals are interviewing?

My husband is so depressed over not being in the sky- as many of you are as well.
I don't know what I can possibly do to help him. I know he has still not given up the dream, but the drugery of everyday work (he is working as an auto mechanic) is killing him!!

I would like to send his resume out for him (without him knowing), as I am having extreme difficulty living with a guy who is miserable on the ground.

I plan on returning to CO in June full time so that he can go back to flight instructing this summer...

He is just miserable to me and to our kids being in a job he can't stand. Sometimes I want to tell him to give up the dream or I am taking off...but I know that is not fair!!!!

Sorry to be such a cry baby, but it is hard standing where I am at!

I was just looking at aviation interviews. com and saw that Mesa is interviewing...
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

In the mean time I am sick of having his happiness on hold-

Nicole :-(

Hi!

Hiring Now
AWAC
Comair
Chautauqua
Pinnacle (NW AIrlink)
Corporate Airlines
TSA
Mesa
AA Eagle
Cape Air
Skyway (Now called Midwest Connect?)
Jet Blue
AirTran
ATA
Frontier
AWA
Flight Options

Hiring Soon
ASA
Cont Exp (now Express Airlines?)

Not Sure
Chicago Express
Horizon
PSA
CommutAir
Colgan

Further down the road
SkyWest
FedEx
Mesaba
There are also a bunch of freight operators that are hiring, flying piston twins, Lears, Falcons, etc.

Cliff
DTW

I understand completely. I have been grounded by money and my wife for months. Went out and flew yesterday. Short hop, but it was glorious to get in the air. My wife picked me up, and I was just happy as can be. Perfect, greaser, landing.

Suggestion, go rent a plane for him for an hour. It won't be the same, but I'll bet he'll come back happy

USA Jet interviewing

I don't know of his flt time etc. but USA Jet is interviewing for classes starting this spring. apply on-line at activeaero.com

Job-hunting despair

I have found that the best antidote to job-hunting despair is to take control. By that I mean to send out materials. In so doing, you feel that you are at least trying to do something about your situation.

The internet helps to speed the process. Your husband can search by name every commuter airline and obtain their addresses and probably the name of the pilot recruiter. He should then send a resume and cover letter to all of them or follow the application procedure listed by the company. He can do the same thing with freight and 135 operators. In a couple of months, he can repeat the process. This could be a good time to do all this, with all the talk about the economy improving. In the meantime, as time permits, your husband can hand-deliver his resume to local operators.

The jobs don't come to you; you have to go to them.

Best wishes to you. Good luck to your husband.

PS-I, too, heard about seven weeks ago that Frontier is hiring, both pilots and FAs.

I just interviewed with Great Lakes, so he might consider getting his resume in there. It's my understanding that hiring there will intermittantly continue throughout the spring/summer, as needed, but I'm sure some Lakes pilots who post on this board can give more information for you.

Best of luck and stay the course!

I have to agree with you bobbysamd. Anyone interested in playing a role in this business has to hit the bricks. Get educated and get your stuff out there. It is not an easy time in this business, like many others. You might be the best but unless you act as if you are motivated they surely won't be knocking at your door. Heck there may be a good corporate job out there as well at an airport near you, right now!

Pilots wife,
I can feel your husbands pain. I to went throough a long hiatus from flying the last time hiring was so dismal. I was a miserable grouch and my wife went through what you are going through now. She convinced me that I needed to take control of my situation by actively searching in the way that BsamD aadvised you. What I did was add on the MEI rating and be around the airport. I did some instructing on the side to stay current and it also helped to have someone else pay for my flying (student). I then took a job with a company that owned a corporate jet. I worked hard making a good name for myself and got myself transfered to the corporate headcourters where the jet is. It took a little while but I am now flying that same Jet.

A wise old instructor once told me that to get hired in a good flying job is like getting struck by lightening. The trick is to be where the lightening strikes. Maybe he should quit turning wrenches on cars and turn wrenches on airplanes instead. I know that on my local airport there is a guy who took a job as a mechanics helper. After the requiered time he will obtain a sign off for his A&P rating. In the meantime he is also instructing. Most importantly he is where the lightening has a good chance of occuring. So my advice is to do some research and look for where the storm could be brewing and position yourselves for the ride of your lives. I was only a grouchy old machine operator. Now I'm still a machine operator but the view is much better and I'm a lot easier to get along with.

Best of luck, DJ

be nice

Now what did I tell you last time, if you can not say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Latest resources

Back