• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone heard from NWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you are saying that NWA is losing 30 pilots a month? Where are they going? Is this due to mostly retirements? It must be. I have seen that most of the other airlines are adding narrow body planes to their fleet, where as NWa seems to be only slated for the new boeing 787 orders which does not seem that big compared to other orders. Then there are the remaining 330 deliveries..... With the scheduled parking of the 9's and the loss of the 319's how is this any growth to compete with the other airlines in taking market share for the expected growth of air travel? Does NWA just plan on covering this growth with 76 seat flying? Whats up with that? should we expect any a/c orders from NWA thats larger than 110 seats?

Heyas XJ,

Your analysis is close to the mark. There's really no long term growth at all, and lots of flying being lost to the RJs.

The actual attrition is about 25-35/mo, although some months it's higher. That number represents the actual shrinkage of the seniority list, so it's actually a 25-35 net loss after you add in recalled pilots. The list went from about 5600 to 5300 in a year.

It's a mix of retirements and resignations. One of the LEC reps in MEM just quit to go to UPS.

Nu

Have you? Please Rez - I'd love to hear your definition of a "real" airplane.

It was an inside joke................. :rolleyes:

But if you must.....

the only real airplanes out there are

• B737
  • F-15
  • F-16
  • F-22A
Anyone who flies anything else is subpar....

Last edited:
It was an inside joke................. :rolleyes:

But if you must.....

the only real airplanes out there are

• B737
  • F-15
  • F-16
  • F-22A
Anyone who flies anything else is subpar....

737? I submit that the DC-8 is the only real airplane out there, with honorable mention going to the 727 and DC-9.

you are saying that NWA is losing 30 pilots a month? Where are they going? Is this due to mostly retirements? It must be. I have seen that most of the other airlines are adding narrow body planes to their fleet, where as NWa seems to be only slated for the new boeing 787 orders which does not seem that big compared to other orders. Then there are the remaining 330 deliveries..... With the scheduled parking of the 9's and the loss of the 319's how is this any growth to compete with the other airlines in taking market share for the expected growth of air travel? Does NWA just plan on covering this growth with 76 seat flying? Whats up with that? should we expect any a/c orders from NWA thats larger than 110 seats?

XJ Hawk-
The 30+ is mostly retirements, although not everyone is waiting until age 60. There are a few resignations, mostly near the bottom of the list. There should be better fidelity on the numbers in the coming months, but the furloughees are not returning to training at the rate the company was expecting/hoping for. There are some resignations within this furloughed group, but a lot are on long term bypass (up to 4 years) and military leaves. These folks will likely not be back near term, who knows a couple years down the road.

I believe your fleet estimates are fairly accurate, but only management knows the real numbers. Granted, the announced 18 firm orders isn't huge, management seems pretty excited about them. Remember, there are options for 50 more although I'm not sure when deliveries positions are for the options. NWA was the 2nd airline to get in line for these so these options may have delilvery positions relatively early in the production cycle. Although it does have some negative impact, I think the -9 and 319s leaving may be a bit overplayed. The fleets are not being parked, but it does suck to lose any NB hulls. I still think the 9's will be around for several more years. As far as a replacement, who knows. Obviously, 76 seaters will have a significant impact on NB growth. It will result in less hiring at mainline in future years, but I can't imagine the pipeline being turned off. NWA can barely train to cover attrition, not to mention they are probably 400-500 short today. The loss of some 319s and -9s does suck, but it won't fix their staffing problems. I think there would be more of a threat if Compass was actually up and operational. Right now, it's been pretty slow to get on their feet. Others predict a flush back to Compass. I don't see it. They will hire at Compass to fill those jobs. Despite all the talk, there will be plenty of people lining up for those shiny E175s with a potential for a quick upgrade. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Schwanker

737? I submit that the DC-8 is the only real airplane out there, with honorable mention going to the 727 and DC-9.

Agreed! The DC-8 is one bad ass MOFO...

Inboard TR on the decent! very cool....

AMEN!

I don't know why Boeing bothered with a new design for a "Sonic Cruiser"...they already had one in the 72...

Of course, you'd be deaf when you got to where you're going, but still...

Nu

If the noise from the JT-8's don't get to ya, the "ca-chunk" from the trim wheel will!

The Lear 24 still has them all beat... Well, except for the F-15, F-16, and F-22....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back