• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Heard From Fedex Lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can anyone confirm/deny a rumor I heard? A friend (military type)who currently works for Fed Ex says they are not interviewing military pilots affected by "stop loss" unless they have their waiver already approved. Obviously, this is a big player for the Air Force pilots, not the Navy. I have buds interested, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have heard the same rumor but unfortunately I can't confirm/deny yet. I'm going in to check on a bud's app. in a few days and I'll let you know what Kim Daniels says. Hopefully in the meantime you can get a better answer from one of the USAF guys...Albie? Any takers?

I know for sure that a non-waiver-approved USAF pilot interviewed mid-April. Don't know any other specifics, though.

I spoke with Kim Daniels about stop lossed folks and their lack of interviews a few weeks ago. She said that they needed folks that were available immediately to interview in April and May. That is why they were not calling stop lossed pilots. I think that once they build a small pool they may start calling USAF captives again.

The latest rumors are 2 classes per month of 12 during the summer. The next class of 16 to be added behind me start Monday with another 16 the week after!

Keep fighting the good battle.

That makes perfect sense because I think the pool has nearly dried up and they need to fill the classes. I'll be talking w/Kim next week and if I hear anything new I'll post it.

I just talked to Kim on Friday (3 May) and she said they ARE calling Military Stop Lossed guys but the 1st question she asks when she calls is basically ..."What is your availability date and are you stop lossed?" She said to keep up with the updates and that they are calling based on your qualifications (not whether your stop lossed or not). Also, she hinted that over 2000 total and 250 in the last 12 months was a key number to getting a call.

One more critical piece of info. When you fill out your online profile and put in your references, the cycle is not complete. Those references don't even show up until your references log on and fill out words from their side. I knew they had to do this but I didn't know they were masked until your references logged on. Hint: Make sure you follow up with your references and check with Kim that your profile looks good.

Cheers

OK, here's the deal...at least my take.

Stop Loss: I went in to check on a bud's application and the first thing John Ryder (runs the pilot recruitment office) asked was "is he stop lossed?" It is very clear that they don't have the number of available military applicants that they would prefer, however they are still calling based on requirements. If you have a departure date, meet all the requirements and have a rec. there shouldn't be a problem getting an interview, otherwise you may have to wait for an availability date. They are tracking the stop loss thing very closely, in fact John had recently spoken with the Bureau of Naval Personnel to see if the Navy was still considering it. He also mentioned that the USAF policy was up for review in June and was hoping things would get better. Bottom line: good news, they want you, bad news you probably need some glimpse of an availability date. DON'T give up, keep your profile up-to-date, network and realize this won't be permanent.

Furloughees: They will interview, however it sounds like the only way a furloughed guy will get an interview is by having a sponsor here at FedEx walk a resume in to the Chief Pilot and convince him. Then, if offered a class date, I'm sure resigning your seniority # from the other airline would be absolutely required (however, I didn't specifically ask this question). Sounds harsh, but the company isn't willing to make the same mistake twice (reference my earlier post). Bottom line: if you really want to work for FedEx (and meet requirements, of course) and you know someone here, I'm sure you could get an interview.

In general: Gotta have a recommendation from a company pilot to get you noticed.

This should make things clear as mud, and I'm sure there are exceptions, just my take on what I heard. Also, the pilot recruitment office is swamped at the moment, as mentioned earlier, if you are not a FedEx pilot DON'T call Kim, let your buddy here do that. I wish I had something more positive to post, but I hope some information is better than none. Stay in the game, this is a great place to work and good luck to everybody.

Hugh

Just got called this past Tues for an interview in two weeks, 21-22 MAy. Hadn't updated since 9/11. Availability date 11/2001, but I am stop lossed...Hope this helps.

House

Latest resources

Back