Anyone hear from Skywest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

><><><

Just curious if anyone has been called recently to interview with Skywest. Sounded like calls were going out a couple of weeks ago, how 'bout within the past week?

About a year and a half ago a few new hires were put into the jet. At that time I beleive SkyWest wanted at least 500 hours turbine time, and I would guess at this point that people being called for interviews have at least that much turbine time since they are hiring for the jet now. Someone earlier this year told me they had 300-400 resumes on file with over 1000 hrs. of turbine time. Keep trying and if you get hired here and have the choice start on the Brasilia, the pay is the same and you'll spend a lot less time on reserve.

So Cal ?

I am patiently waiting in class pool and curious if you take the Brasillia (given you have a choice) and they quit hiring into that particular AC, would you be stuck right seat until SkyWest gets rid of the EMB? That could be quite a $ difference considering the RJ pays quite a bit more after the first year! Wouldn't it be better to just pick the RJ and suffer on reserve given you will have to go that route anyhow someday? = = 2nd year RJ FO on reserve is same pay as 2nd year EMB FO on line from what I am told.

PS, anyone have any idea how far into the pool they reached for September class dates???

I beleive the only reason we are hiring into the jet is a unexpected shortage of Brasilia First Officers. The current bid list for CRJ first officer has EMB FOs that have met their 12 month seat lock requirement and should be awarded class but haven't, while new hires are being assigned to the jet. This I beleive is a result of an unexpected increase in Brasilia flying that the company hadn't been planning for.

Between now and the end of 2003 we are receiving approximately 50 more CRJs and retiring approximately 7-10 Brasilia. The Brasilia fleet is suppose to stabilize at approximately 50 till the end of 2004 as I understand it, so I imagine there will be plenty of hiring into it for a while. Whether or not new hires will continue to be placed into the jet will probably depend upon the number of Brasilia FOs bidding for the CRJ that have met the seat lock requirement. To answer your question about getting stuck in a particular seat, I beleive it has happened before in the Metro in the mid 90's. Somebody that has been here at SkyWest a little longer than me should explain that however. We have additional orders/(options?) for approximately 30 CRJs to be delivered in 2004. With the expected growth you should be OK if you get hired sooner than later.

If given the option there's a number of things you might want to consider such as domiciles, class dates, ectera. New hire jet FOs wil only be able to get SLC as there are standing bids for Fresno and Tucson, however EMB FOs could probably go just about anywhere except Portland. Pay wise EMB line holder will get 85-90 credit hours as opposed to 75 credit hours for CRJ reserve. Don't forget to add in the perdiem of $300-$450 month for a lineholder as well. On FO pay it makes a big difference. If building flight time is you goal you are limited to 100 hrs mo./1000 year in jet while the EMB is 120 mo/1200 hrs year. This can effect your pay as well.

I'd suggest starting in the Brasilia, getting some seniority in the position/domicile for a while (seniority is everything for quality of life), and then transition to the jet when you can hold a line in the domicile you want (reserve sucks!). You'll have plenty of time to do this before you upgrade, and if you upgrade in the Brasilia you'll have some experience in it ( A GREAT IDEA IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY TURBOPROP EXPERIENCE).

Anyhow, this is a great company to work for, and if you're like the majority you'll enjoy you time here.

I interviewed last week (didn't get the job) with 40 hours turbine time, all in a level D simulator (I had 2200TT and 400 ME). A friend of mine was called four days ago to interview with about 2300 TT and 350 ME and also a nominal amount of turbine time (like 20 hours). He also had not attended any of the March career fairs (and had not taken the written tests), whereas I did. Turbine is obviously not a requirement nor is attendance at the career fairs.

They told us in the interview that new hires are going both into the EMB120 and the CRJ with classes happening every month or so. Things look pretty good there for the future with a lot of growth expected.

Update your online resume there if you haven't within the last 90 days. Clearly, they are still calling.

AND DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE SIM RIDE LIKE I DID. They are evaluating a lot of things. I'd suggest doing the sim prep offered by an FBO at SLC beforehand, I wish I had.

Last edited:
Socalplt or anyone else know if SkyWest requires a letter of seniority resignation for pilots on furlough? Also does anyone have any info on the written test or sim?

Thanks in advance,

Kirby out

Mesage to Andy Neil...

Hi Andy,

I attended the PDX job fair and took both tests. I did not pass the Mechanical Aptitude one and was told I could take it again in October. Do you have Camille Ence's email address so that I could ask her when would be a good time. I would offer to come to St. George on my own and take it there.

Thanks again, and also for your suggestion on the ARCO MX book, I got it, it's great.

Av8ter

Latest resources

Back