Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone have a moment to talk about Reserve at delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASA

Could someone who has a few minutes give a good description of what life would be like for a new guy who lives in Atlanta and gets based in NYC, either on the 767 or Md-88? Is there any way to do it without getting a crash pad? thanks.

To answer your question, no.

Pray that an Atlanta position comes up and take it. I don't care what position it is, take it. I am on the 88 in ATL. Today is day 6 on reserve and I haven't been called. Free week off from work. Lucky month.

As for NYC, you will need a crashpad regardless of which aircraft you get. You only get 11 or 12 days off per month depending on the month. Every day is long call reserve, 12 hour call out. Scheduling is allowed to give you 8 short call days. A short call day, on the 88 is a 12 hour period. Your 12 hour block can start as early as 03:45. On short call you have to able to get to the airport "within a reasonable amount of time." In NYC that could be 3 hours depending on the traffic. On the 88, you are responsible for all 3 airports. On the 767ER, only JFK. Short call on the ER is a 24 hour period (I think).

Reserve at Delta is not based on seniority. It is based on your RAW Score. It is a complex formula that was explained but I cannot explain it. Short call assignment are totally random. You can have the highest RAW Score on reserve and be assigned a short call.

I do not know of anyone who is based in NYC, on reserve, that doesn't have a crashpad.

I second the fact that you need a crash pad in NYC. You utilization in the winter months will be minimial, but it is difficult to get there with a decent notice much less in a few hrs.
There are a bunch of good places close to LGA. Most are near 180 a month for a hot bunk.

To answer your question, no.

Pray that an Atlanta position comes up and take it. I don't care what position it is, take it. I am on the 88 in ATL. Today is day 6 on reserve and I haven't been called. Free week off from work. Lucky month.

As for NYC, you will need a crashpad regardless of which aircraft you get. You only get 11 or 12 days off per month depending on the month. Every day is long call reserve, 12 hour call out. Scheduling is allowed to give you 8 short call days. A short call day, on the 88 is a 12 hour period. Your 12 hour block can start as early as 03:45. On short call you have to able to get to the airport "within a reasonable amount of time." In NYC that could be 3 hours depending on the traffic. On the 88, you are responsible for all 3 airports. On the 767ER, only JFK. Short call on the ER is a 24 hour period (I think).

Reserve at Delta is not based on seniority. It is based on your RAW Score. It is a complex formula that was explained but I cannot explain it. Short call assignment are totally random. You can have the highest RAW Score on reserve and be assigned a short call.

I do not know of anyone who is based in NYC, on reserve, that doesn't have a crashpad.

Nice. CAL "long call" (if you can call it that) is 9 hours, period...and only about 10% can get that...and they can change all of the days to short call at will. The rest is short call 3 hours, right across the board for everyone, 12 days off, scheds can roll the days at will with little penalty. Maybe CAL can move up to your post bankruptcy contract next time around.

If you get NY, yes, get a crashpad. I have heard Kew Gardens is nice, between LGA and JFK, and they have their own cab service. From what I have heard, it is a bit like "Melrose Place", with their own bar and lots of women around. IF you are single, that could be fun. If you are not single, that could be fun but dangerous. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If you get NY, yes, get a crashpad. I have heard Kew Gardens is nice, between LGA and JFK, and they have their own cab service. From what I have heard, it is a bit like "Melrose Place", with their own bar and lots of women around. IF you are single, that could be fun. If you are not single, that could be fun but dangerous. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General:

Question for you when you have the time: For a guy living in ATL, desiring the "most" days at home...does he/she bid plug on a 767-400, mid reserve on 7ER, or around 80% percentile lineholder on 767 domestic?

I am curious what pros/cons with each of those categories in ATL are? Thanks. I imagine you have flown them all or know folks who have.

General:

Question for you when you have the time: For a guy living in ATL, desiring the "most" days at home...does he/she bid plug on a 767-400, mid reserve on 7ER, or around 80% percentile lineholder on 767 domestic?

I am curious what pros/cons with each of those categories in ATL are? Thanks. I imagine you have flown them all or know folks who have.

The 764 (or 765 as we call it) is fairly senior, so if you are new I wouldn't worry about that ($18 more an hour than the 757/767). Reserve on any plane can be up and down. In the Summer, it seems like we are always short, so any day on reserve you could be called. In the Winter, maybe not so much. If we are adequately staffed, then you may not fly as much. Being a line holder allows you to manipulate your schedule if there are open trips available. If there is no open time, then you can be stuck with what you get, unless something pops up at the last minute. I prefer being a line holder just so I know what I will be doing. I also like being a senior line holder so I don't have to go to Lagos.

Bye Bye--General Lee

KC - The LA base is growing.... You could get back and forth to NY, but I would not want long, time zone crossing, commute. Especially if you were flying the Atlantic once you got there. Delta should have an advanced entitlement bid coming out very soon which surely will get posted here. That will provide you with some SA on where the openings are.

The new 737 category in LA might be a good option.

Last edited:
Actually, I believe reserve is 18 days ON in any bid period...so 12 and 13 days off depending on the length of that month

Latest resources

Back