Anyone had "The Snip"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously consider this first.

I had the procedure done nearly four years ago. It turned out to be the worst decision I ever made. Taking a perfectly healthy organ that produces millions of sperm on a daily basis and blocking off the only means of it leaving is a fundamentally flawed concept.

I started getting PVPS (post vasectomy pain syndrome) about a year ago, when my left epididymis blew out (an inevitable outcome of a close-ended vasectomy), which, short term and long term, can lead to many health issues. The following web sites have more informationon:

vasectomypain.org
dontfixit.org

DO YOUR RESEARCH. Granted, some men have this done and have little to no problems with it. Some men are very happy about it, and that is great. Many urologists would tell you that it is a perfectly safe procedure, and that sperm is harmlessly re-absorbed into the body, etc. This is what my doctor told me. He never told me about epididymal blow-out, sperm granuloma, auto-immune disorder, changes in ejaculatory response (it felt like stopping a sneeze midway) or the increased risk of prostate/testicular cancer.

He certainly did not tell me that some men, after trying everything, finally have their testicle(s) removed to alleviate PVPS. Had I known what so many men go through, had I been told the truth, I would never have done it. But as is often the case, our medical system has prioritized profit over prevention, and thus the truth is swept under the rug.

My advice: leave your body the way it is. DO NOT violate the sperm-blood barrier. It is built that way for a reason. If you are serious about birth control, look into Essure, a new procedure for women that does not cut body aparts away from eachother (you should still research this however).
Another good option is the Ladycomp, a fertilization computer which has the same reliability as the pill, without the drugs or surgery.

Draw your own conclusion about it, but if I were you, I would drop the topic like a hot rock. How I wish I can be in your shoes - with a reproductive system that has not been tampered with and damaged. Be happy with what you have, and that it works as intended.

The time has come... Just wondering about how long is the recovery?, any trouble sitting/flying after? Need to disclose on next medical? etc...Thanks.

There are just to many jokes waiting to be said. You should see the looks I get when I tell people that I bought a "Do It Yourself At Home Kit" off E-Bay!

Had it done 11 years ago, uneventful.

Painful - no, uncomfortable & tender - yes.

Doc recommended 4 days off work. Suggested the surgery on Thurs & take a 4 day weekend. I was on a stretch of 7 days off when I had it done, then went back to work as scheduled.

FAA issues? None.

Just report it on your next regular AME exam. Then on subsequent exams you can check the "yes" box but state "previously reported".

Just did it myself last week and f@ck me, I belong to the 1 percent that get's an inflamation.

On the upswing, things have never looked tighter down there (on account of swelling)

Oh well, hopefully the antibiotics will work and the missus feels so quilty I'm getting a lot of credits out of this one!!

Latest resources

Back