• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Question for board regulars...

Several guys like me left at 14+ or so of active duty. I've done enough ANG days here and there to put me over 15 years of service, so going AGR full time to get to retirement might be an option if such a slot were to become availalbe.

Anyone out there done/doing that? I know Speedbird at JetBlue took a LOA to do this...anyone else?

What do you miss about airline flying? What do you like about your full time position? Any potential pitfalls or traps that could affect your return to your 121 job?

Thanks in advance....

I've been thinkin....

Albie,

So are you thinking about doing that? I kinda have the same idea... Assuming we have a kid within a year, it would be nice to be around during the 3-8 year point...just starting school, etc. Plus get that retirement pay thing...

FastCargo

PS Anyone with info...Bueller? Bueller?

Well....life is a bit dull for an SO at 0400 :p

Now...back to the thread. Anyone been there, done that with some thoughts?

Albie,

Just remember 5yrs @ 2% per year lost time will cost you $26,000 per year in pension benifits based on the present rules and max earnings.

I am not sure about the Guard, but the Navy and Marines have built in protections to keep reservists from going over the 18 year mark of active duty time and thus being guaranteed a regular retirement. Actually, the last time I checked, you have to get special permission to go over 16 years of service - and we had some Marines at the squadron signing papers promising they would not use these active duty orders to get a full retirement. Hope y'all have better luck.

Air National Guard offers an AGR position for some slots, which is basically a 20 year active duty retirement for full time guy. I think the Navy has a similar deal called a TAR, but I may not have my facts.

Haven't got one yet, but these things become available here and there when guys retire, etc. I was just interested in some pros/cons in the event I had the option on one down the road...

Air Guard is a great operation--they don't seem to try to get full time professionals for pennies on the dollar.

My mistake - you are absolutely correct when talking about something like the Navy's TAR program or the Corps AR program. Best of Luck.

Research your points

Albie,

I don't think it works that way. Your part-time points are simply extra points. You would still need to get 5+ full time points in. Then once you retire, those extra points are figured in.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and all you need to do is to amass 7300 points, or whatever the total is.

But to answer your question, we have a guest helper that did that. He is now going back to be a Capt. on the 767. This after being away a lot more than 5 years..

Albie,

All you need to retire is 7300 ACTIVE DUTY points. AFTPs and drills (Inactive duty) points do not count to this total. I do know people that are doing this, but all of them are furloughed. I would definitely see how this effects your retirement. It depends on how your company calculates retirement, but as I understand it, all of this time counts to longevity. So, if you get retirement based on highest five years (or something similar) then you will not have any impact. Definitely check on this though!!!!!

They are also paying the bonus (25K a year if you sign for a period this long). Not too bad....

Good luck!!!

Latest resources

Back