• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone getting jr. manned at ASA today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read again. ASA will be one of the surviving five or six DCI carriers.

AS for CRJ567, I give up with you.

So because we are in the worst economy since the 30's, and every company on earth is cutting back for cost savings and survival, Delta included, and ASA is losing (ooops, I mean loosing) some block hours and airframes (that they traded for better airframes albeit at a net loss) and was forced to furlough some pilots recently - you believe ASA is going away in the near term???? Huh! In complete disregard for the operational improvements made by new management, and as Delta's largest regional partner you think ASA is going away? For what reason? Just take a breath. It will be OK. ASA is not going anywhere.

Honestly, I don't believe that we are going away in the near term. I think it is going to be in the long term. ACL hit it right on- we'll make it the 20 years, it's after that it's in the air. Bottom line is this- six months is an eternity in this biz, so 20 years is unfathomable. Who knows, maybe we split from Delta, and fill the void with Skywest in some "Megalopolis" airline conglomerate to fill in where a major has caved and imploded.............Far out there, I know, or is it? For some odd reason, I just don't see Delta in partnership with ASA 25 years down the road.

In regard to ASA's near term- As I said, I believe we are in great shape for the near term. However, I feel we are going to be a vastly different airline in a couple of years. As Joe put it, the 50 is a "Dead man walking", and I fully expect a couple more 2/1 swaps to come down the pipe. With each deal we are more and more overstaffed, and downgrades will become more prominant. I don't expect an abundance of furloughs due to our no furlough clause.

One thing I can't figure out is why ASA and Comair seem to be bearing the brunt of the 50 seat cuts. Not that I want anything to happen to anyone else, but why isn't Pinnacle losing flying at the same rate we are? It seems as though Pinnacle is holding the status quo with no big hits or reductions.

You are seeing the brunt of the cuts because of where you fly. DAL is an East Coast focused airline. OH and EV fly most of that flying. That is where they are cutting.
As for SKW, they are shifting to more SLC and less ATL flying. If you have been around ASA and DCI for more than two years, you know the way these things are.
Add to that, DAL owns all of OH's 50's and over 40 of EV's. That also makes it easier for them to cut those. I am sure you will see cuts at the FNWA connection carriers too.
Also there will more than likely be a few less DCI carriers in coming years. I know of a few contracts that will not be renewed. ASA is going to be around until their contract exprires. (if not longer)

You are seeing the brunt of the cuts because of where you fly. DAL is an East Coast focused airline. OH and EV fly most of that flying. That is where they are cutting.
As for SKW, they are shifting to more SLC and less ATL flying. If you have been around ASA and DCI for more than two years, you know the way these things are.
Add to that, DAL owns all of OH's 50's and over 40 of EV's. That also makes it easier for them to cut those. I am sure you will see cuts at the FNWA connection carriers too.
Also there will more than likely be a few less DCI carriers in coming years. I know of a few contracts that will not be renewed. ASA is going to be around until their contract exprires. (if not longer)

ACL65,

I appreciate your candor and your information regarding ASA. I know you have a lot of inside contacts and certainly appreciate any and all information regarding the Airline Industry in general. However, you know and I know pretty well how flow-thru's work. They are only advantageous to those at the "Legacy" level for job protection. It's human nature to want protection, I understand that. Just not at my expense. Super-Seniority doesn't work well for me. Eagle is a great example of how a flow-thru would work, and while I can appreciate their decisions in creating it, I can't accept it--and never will.

Additionally, in the very near future, ASA will be contracting out with another Carrier. Delta will be an invaluable partner, but not the only one. People can get so myopic sometimes.

Trojan

I agree that flows do not work. I am just telling you what you may be seeing from DALPA.
I much prefer the joint seniority list approach. Like I said, or tried to say with out being direct and to the point on what was coming, this is an easy way for DALPA to keep lower paying jobs off their contact, on a B scale, and away from their negotiating capital. I disagree with it on many levels. It is just what I hear as a possibility. There are many of us here that want the flying and pilots brought back to mainline. No matter what CRJ567 says.

Honestly, I don't believe that we are going away in the near term. I think it is going to be in the long term. ACL hit it right on- we'll make it the 20 years, it's after that it's in the air. Bottom line is this- six months is an eternity in this biz, so 20 years is unfathomable. Who knows, maybe we split from Delta, and fill the void with Skywest in some "Megalopolis" airline conglomerate to fill in where a major has caved and imploded.............Far out there, I know, or is it? For some odd reason, I just don't see Delta in partnership with ASA 25 years down the road.

In regard to ASA's near term- As I said, I believe we are in great shape for the near term. However, I feel we are going to be a vastly different airline in a couple of years. As Joe put it, the 50 is a "Dead man walking", and I fully expect a couple more 2/1 swaps to come down the pipe. With each deal we are more and more overstaffed, and downgrades will become more prominant. I don't expect an abundance of furloughs due to our no furlough clause.

One thing I can't figure out is why ASA and Comair seem to be bearing the brunt of the 50 seat cuts. Not that I want anything to happen to anyone else, but why isn't Pinnacle losing flying at the same rate we are? It seems as though Pinnacle is holding the status quo with no big hits or reductions.

You guys are making predictions for 20 YEARS IN THE FUTURE?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you freakin' kidding me?! Things change in the airlines day to day....but to predict ASA is good for now, but 20 years down the road. Wow. Anyway, we all are entitled to our opinions. I suppose ASA could be gone in 20 years, but so could Delta, United, Mesa, or anyone (Mesa sucks). I'm just saying, I wouldn't form any negative opinions on ASA due to the happenings of today. This is a cyclical downturn for not only the Airlines, but for the entire World's economy. Things are receeding right now. ASA could come out of the downturn as the place to be.....or could go the way of the Dodo. Who knows. But, considering all things, I think ASA will be ok in 20 years, in whatever form.

Triple 7; no offense but you spend way too much time posting on here. Pink Pony; check it out.

We are all Delta's little biotch.

Hoser you wanna go camping?

Latest resources

Back