Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone else get a phone call from United today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Historically, actually, they make up between 30-40% of "Major" airline hiring but, in the last 7 years or so, many military guys have opted to stay in since the Majors weren't hiring and the Regionals truly WERE poverty level wages with crappy work rules for the most part so we didn't see those guys entering the work force.

Did you see the last couple interview lists in ops? 70 - 80% USAF. Strange, but true, given our 121 PIC requirement. I think they're waiving it for military A/C Commander time, which they should have done long ago anyway, along with Part 135 PIC time, but I digress... :)

Really I'm just in a crappy mood and this didn't help. I really need to get off this thing and go watch a movie or something. Long overnight in FNT - lots to do here. :rolleyes:

Yeah....we kinda noticed. Go have a beer and lighten up Francis!! Life's too short.Cheers:beer:

PHXFLYR:cool:

USA Jet DA-20 F/O $51.87/hr and DC-9 F/O $57.87/hr first day of GS. BTW Lear we do not know if inthe wind is retired or not.

Boy, do we have a chip on our shoulder. (Must be the son of a USAir pilot:rolleyes:) I'd worry less about UA over the next few years and more about your little outfit because somehow I think you "Trannies" are gonna get crushed like a bug now that Delta is firing on all 8 cylinders.And you're right. $39/hr starting pay at our house isn't exactly "stellar". But then again, you never saw me post anywhere saying that it was, or try to justify it because that was what the other airlines were paying first year pilots,now did you?

PHXFLYR:cool:

A chip on his shoulder indeed! Funny to hear a Tranny chastise others for lowering the bar. Nothing personal, but what exactly has Airtran done over the years to "raise the bar" in this industry? Maybe someday all you guys who secretly wish for the demise of UAL and every other legacy will get your wish. Until then, YES - people will accept crappy first year wages for the chance to Captain a 777 or 747 someday. Damn, now I'm starting to get cranky...:)

Inthewind congrats on the interview my friend. Please do not let the idiots like Lear 70 bring you down. First year pay arguments or not, UAL is still a great institution. It has done a lot for the US and the worlds economy since its beginning. It is a fine company with a proud heritage. The cycle has turned in our favor and future contracts WILL reflect that. Military pension or not you will still be able to swing the boat and the kids college education in a few years time.

Good luck

Eye contact and Smile

Yeah, I had to go unwind for a while,,, sorry, guys, I just get ticked off sometimes. InTheWind, my apologies for attacking you directly for an underlying problem this entire industry has.

PHX, no chip, just aggravated that so few people are willing to do what it takes to regain the ground this profession has lost...

Management wins, labor loses, and that INCLUDES ALL OF US.

Yeah, I had to go unwind for a while,,, sorry, guys, I just get ticked off sometimes. InTheWind, my apologies for attacking you directly for an underlying problem this entire industry has.

PHX, no chip, just aggravated that so few people are willing to do what it takes to regain the ground this profession has lost...

Management wins, labor loses, and that INCLUDES ALL OF US.

Lear70 thank you for the apology, accepted. I know that the wages at United are unacceptable, however this slide began when a bunch of hoes at Mesa gave in to Johnny 'O' the rest of us paid the price. What we truly need is a union with the sack to come up with a national payscale for all like-sized jets and the pilots with the cajones to walk when the time comes. Believe me, I'll be the first to walk my post on the picket line.

I don't think it's fair to blame the new guys for the problems of the industry. Just answer me this -

Who is responsible for all the B scales that are and that ever were?

Who allowed all the regional flying because they were too good to fly turbo-props?

Okay...I can't wait for you to answer. It's the senior (as in guys on property at contract time) guys that didn't give a damn about what the new guys would be making - just don't touch my rate of pay. The same guys that allowed the creation of the regionals because they were too proud to fly those turbo-props.

Oh well - Everybody keeps blaming management - don't misunderstand me - they have done some very bad things - but I would say that pilots have been screwed by other pilots more than any of the worst managements at any point in the history of the airlines.

First year pay has ALWAYS been crappy - even when the pay rates weren't forced down the pilots throats through bankruptcy. So - why is the first year pay rates crap at all airlines - Why has just about every legacy gone through/currently have a B-scale- because the pilots already on the property were not willing to expend any negotiating capital to get the rates up.

Later

No, it's not, but I also said it wasn't anything to celebrate. At an 80 hour a month average, it's $43,200 a year - definitely out of the median poverty level.

I think I already said that, but thanks for missing it, anyway. :rolleyes:

I might also mention that I wouldn't exactly call AWA's $39.00 an hour "stellar" either,,,

OK, evidently you don't know very much about current industry STARTING wages. Here's a tip: the average is $40 an hour. Go look it up. If you add FedEx, UPS, and ABX into the mix, that AVERAGE goes to $44 an hour.

So yeah, I'd say we're "solidly middle of the pack" for a STARTING wage, and the FACTS support that claim.

I was speaking in terms of 1st year pay and, overall, yes, that term is an oxymoron these days but, again, you're missing the point.

The POINT was that the starting wage isn't that much better than Skybus, yet people wet themselves for the opportunity to *maybe* someday fly a widebody in the left seat.

Assuming UAL even survives the next few years...

Whatever Kolski.

Apologies?? Handshakes?? Gentlemanly behaviour??? I'm liking the new FI.com!!!
Seriously,... well done, folks. It's good to see a heated thread where everyone can keep it civil.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Latest resources

Back