Anybody knows anything about Maxjet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
radarlove said:
I know. It reminds me of Jet Blue's Orwell-speak, where vendors are "business partners" and every employee, even Neeleman's secretary, is a "crewmember".

radar:
not that i agree with it or not, but jetblue does that to differentiate themselves from the rest of the industry. it is well known as "branding" so far it is working extremely well. take for instance starbucks. is it really a better cup of coffee than dunkin donuts? i don't think so, but all the desperate housewives have to have that cup in their hand with the green symbol on it while driving their fancy SUV. branding is what saved Valujet....or changing its branding!

why do you think jetblue pilots wear those blue shirts? branding. the public will know what a jetblue pilot looks like but not a (fill in the blank) airline pilot. branding! that can be good....and bad i think!

Starbucks does it with, everyone is known as a "partner" instead of employee.

Branding.....

Branding is truly an amazing thing. For instance: Absolut vodka has somehow convinced the planet that they actually produce quality liquor. In truth, it's garbage akin to distilled goat urine. That crap would be embarassed in a tasting. Good thing our friends and neighbors in the trailers down the road still buy it up by the gallon. The only thing they did right was 'brand' themselves with a world-class ad campaign. Perception is reality many times.

wndshr said:
radar:
not that i agree with it or not, but jetblue does that to differentiate themselves from the rest of the industry. it is well known as "branding" so far it is working extremely well. take for instance starbucks. is it really a better cup of coffee than dunkin donuts? i don't think so, but all the desperate housewives have to have that cup in their hand with the green symbol on it while driving their fancy SUV. branding is what saved Valujet....or changing its branding!

why do you think jetblue pilots wear those blue shirts? branding. the public will know what a jetblue pilot looks like but not a (fill in the blank) airline pilot. branding! that can be good....and bad i think!

It's not "branding" as you describe. It's merely an incorrect version of proper English. "JetBlue" as one word with two capital letters? Ok, artist formally known as Prince. Calling secretaries "crewmembers"? Ok, I hope they're on the company DOT list for drug and alcohol testing, since they're "crewmembers".

Calling vendors "business partners"? Legally a business partner has an ownership stake. Do these?

It's not branding (well, maybe the "JetBlue"), it's just the hope that applying a term to something will somehow make it different. It doesn't.

Not to just bash Jet Blue, lots of other companies do the same thing. In the airline biz, Southwest is probably the worst for English usage. They capitalize all sorts of stupid things, it's like whoever writes their press releases never took high school English.

Actaully it is jetBlue, small j, large B. Incorrect english, perhaps, but it is a brand name.

As for the problem with using the term crewmember, storm in teacup, since they are also divided into flight, inflight, support etc.

I think jetBlue is indeed serious about brand image, similarily to Virgin etc., does it make a difference, perhaps, perhaps not, however, they are serious about it. From the use of the name, placement, colours and size, all things they take great effort in.

Most companies do the very same, McDonalds and Starbucks are big into it, making sure the product is the same all over their stores. You can go to a McD in Peking and know exactly what to expect, although they do have regional products.

Last edited:
Branding and false-naming. I guess they are two different things.

But, all the "in-flight ambassadors" and "customer service managers" and "number 1's" and "leads" and whatever else they call themselves, should never be used together in the same sentence with "pilots". Nobody at an airline should make more than pilots. There are FA's out there that make more than first, second, even third year FO's. Are you kidding me. For simply taking a two week course, shouting a couple of commands, and clicking a seatbelt together.

If anything, those poor girls and boys who work the regionals deserve double what those old battle-axes at the majors make. But, nobody other than the people on the airplanes should be called crewmembers. All this does is give a false sense of importance to the folks on the ground. Secretaries, supervisors, photocopy people, heck even managers and presidents can be replaced in a minute. At least pilots have to be trained for about 8 weeks before they can work there.

Enough about that. Now, lets look at the branding issue. Yes, everything about jetBlue is blue; the shirts, the chips, the planes. It seems to be working. Southwest is another. By having absolutely the worst paint job in the business, they stand out like anything. Beige, orange, white, yellow and blue.????????????? UNMISTAKEABLE

One final example, and probably the greatest branding ever is UPS. Nothing and I mean nothing can compare to the association of a color to a product or company like brown to UPS. Although, the golden arches are probably more visible.

Back to the subject. I hear their captains will be paid $60/hr. Any truth to this?

Dizel8 said:
Actaully it is jetBlue, small j, large B. Incorrect english, perhaps, but it is a brand name.

Oops. Still, people/companies can call themselves what they want. Back to George Orwell, he made the point (reflecting the communist tendencies of the day) that changing the name of something does not change the underlying thing. So did Shakespear ("A rose by any other name...")

So maybe Jet Blue thinks that they can change how the employee of a function such as secretary, or caterer, etc. behaves and believes by changing the name ("You're not a caterer, you're a crewmemember!") but I have my doubt about the efficacy.

Latest resources

Back