• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody got any current ACSC gouge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can some of you guys post your names in conjunction with this thread? That way the ACSC nazis at Maxwell will know who to pass and who to not.

Maybe this should be a WOM thread instead of something on Flightinfo? Capiche? All y'all are doing is going to get that website a little extra scrutiny, thus not helping out those behind you, so to speak.

WM

Anyone know of a site for SOS for those not going in-house....all that reading is painful and boring...not to mention usless. Thanks

PME is a huge pain in the rear--we know that. However, in any organization there comes a point when you can decide to continue resisting and a time to accept that even generally good organizations can have quirks you must live with.

Due to a manning "bathtub" pilot shortage in the 90s (anyone remember that?) I was able do dodge SOS in residence and do it in correspondence. My teeth gritting while I did it was softened by the knowledge that I was not going to have to forfeit 6-8 weeks out of my first F-15 ops tour to go play flickerball. In short--it was a pian in the butt but it was the lesser of two evils.

ACSC came next. I can remember playing the stupid "build the FRAG" war game at my computer at work on weather days. I was a TG in the Guard at the time, and while there was no shame at all in being a Major in a fighter squadron until they throw dirt on you, there was also a LTC vacancy just SITTING THERE. So again--gutted through the mess...did my reading and highlighting on the FE seat of the 727, and got it done. Made LTC the first day I was eligible and even though it didn't mean squat in the real world enjoyed gettting the rank ahead of my active duty peers and a couple of AGRs who decided they would "resist" the firm on getting PME done. It was a nice pay bump, even if to this day I look behind me to see who they are talking to when someone addresses me as "colonel...."

The key to getting PME back in perspective is unfortunately very difficult. We need to get some guys working IN the system from the inside to put the priorities back towards more line oriented tasks. Right now in this economy, there isn't a mad rush for the exits of young officers so the brass isn't getting exit survey data like they were back in the 90s. Additionally, once a guy "makes it" in the system and moves up in rank there tends to be a bit of the "...c'mon...I DID it...you can pay your dues too..." mindset.

So...in short...there was enough about active duty I didn't like to make me quit. I'm one of those guys who voted with my feet in 2000-2002. However, I also saw guys who "resisted" PME pay take a financial and professional hit for it. I gutted through it because I liked an O-5 UTA/FTA LES better than an O-4 one. Its a stupid game at times, but don't let your mad get in front of your money.

but don't let your mad get in front of your money.

great perspective.....it is getting in front of the $$$ if I have to leave SWA for 6 weeks.....I do not have the dicipline to do it on my own, so I think I may just suck it up and go in-house.....now...I need to find some blues in 45 waist x34 length....this should be fun.

Well...if you want a "the stuff we have to put up with story..."

I am trying to "unretire" from the ANG and continue to serve part time in a non-flying position. I was lucky enough to get hired by some old friends for a position, but after being out more than 6 months you have to go through the MEPS process and take an entry physical to get back in.

I spent a few hours starting at 0430 with some 18 and 19 year olds going into the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines. A 46 year old Army major was the only other guy from my generation going through the process. After being treated like a recuit for an hour we started the physical with a breathalizer test to make sure we weren't drunk. Let's just say the whole process was not exactly like my standard flight physicals when I was still "somebody" verses a recruit.

Funny thing is I found the whole thing funny. I got yelled at by a doctor, yelled at by mean GS lady who was 5'2' and about 2 bills, and got to do a bunch of funny walks in my underwear. All of that--just so I can go back and serve a little more and perhaps provide my family a little extra safety net. But...I was smart enough to smile, keep my mouth shut, and let the process work. By the end of the day everyone was like my best buddy...wishing me luck and thanking me for coming back to serve.

Reading a few stupid books and writing papers? Easy. Lets see you duck walk in your skivvies before you complain.

And all you part timers out there...if you think there is a 1% chance you MIGHT want to continue to serve or doing ANYTHING when you get past 20 years....if you aren't going to get a retirement check anyway then go inactive, don't say the R (retire) word. Trying to go backwards from uttering those two syllabus has been an interesting, year long journey. Fortunately I already have a good job, but if you can learn from my lesson pass it on. No check--don't retire. Stay in the system so if you decide to grab a job you can do it with a lot less complications.

Glad to answer PMs if any of you are in a similar boat.

Welcome Back!!!!

Did you get 1 or 2 fingers? After all....you were and Eagle Driver!:laugh: j/k couldn't resist.

Just one, thanks...but I did have to get a waiver because my d*** was so big :blush:

I wasn't going to get too personal but since you brought it up...:beer:

Can't believe I'm even considering doing this but in this economy it just seems like a prudent move for the long term.

Doh!

Can't believe I'm even considering doing this but in this economy it just seems like a prudent move for the long term.
I can't believe you are doing it either. Good luck with it though.

PS...Nice comeback!

Latest resources

Back