Any word on Horizon hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
And the Teamsters at Horizon agreed to this ridiculous policy and the pilots at Horizon accepted it (along with some other real doozies that are in this sham of a "contract" that they work under). Personally I would be embarrassed to admit it and would be doing everything within my power to recall those responsible for this abomination of a contract and get someone in there with even HALF a clue.

Then educate the pilot group so that something ridiculous like this doesn't happen again next time.

Yank McCobb said:
Take your best shot and live with it. DO NOT LOOK BACK. There is nothing to see behind you.

Retirement getting old already?

Any Q-200 guys/gals,

Can you give me an idea of what reserve life is like in SEA & PDX??

What are the call out times, airport reserve vs sitting at home??

what kind of pay while sitting reserve, how much flying do you average a month.

What about days on vs days off??

Thanks

Hey Yanky,
Did you work @ QX? Did it spoil you on life and bring you to your current level of misery? I need to get out before I end up like you.

flythere said:
Any Q-200 guys/gals,

Can you give me an idea of what reserve life is like in SEA & PDX??

What are the call out times, airport reserve vs sitting at home??

what kind of pay while sitting reserve, how much flying do you average a month.

What about days on vs days off??

Thanks

You get 12 days off in a 35 day period. They can, and usually do, switch your reserve periods from AM to PM at will. The call out time is two hours from home. Airport reserve is 8 hours in the dungeon per day, but you are usually home at night. Right now everyone is flying their butt off.

As far as pay. Check this site http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com They have everyones stuff there. Take the rate x86.3x10.4 and that is your min guarantee for the year plus about $2000-5000 of per-diem.

I want to work @ Horizon

I am seriously considering horizon. Mainley because I want to live in the NW. Why is upgrade so slow? Are ppl not moving on to bigger and better, or do they hire street captains. What's the deal? I hear good things about the company, but ppl say it's a career killer. I would like to understand the culture, so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who have posted so far!

To answer your questions, upgrade is slow because few pilots leave because they like living in the NW and as a 400 or CRJ captain the pay is as high as they come for a regional (sad state of affairs). Also, there is NO growth of the seniority list. There are around 700 pilots,the same number we had 7 years ago. No hiring of street captains.

Best of luck

Unless you're living at mom and dad's be prepared to find a second job. I know two guys that left Horizon to fly corporate, because living in the Seattle area on Horizon pay is tough. For what it's worth though, if you can tough it out the pay gets better after 6-7yrs as a captain and you won't have to commute. By then you'll probably never leave.....which isn't a bad thing.

dispatcher121 said:
I don't understand why it would be a "career killer". What better experience could you gain outside of a CAT III single engine qualified regional carrier!?

Let's see.....a 5.5yr FO and he has no end in sight! W/O Capt time you are stuck or you change your profession! That's a "career killer" for anyone who might want out of Horizon for a major or for that matter a life. Try living on FO pay for that long, it might just be a "marriage killer" too!:D

Last edited:
rke44 said:
Let me give you a bit of advice. Don't come to work at Horizon unless the sole reason is to live in the Seattle/Portland area. Trust me, you'll thank me in 3 years when all of your colleagues that came here are barely holding a line in the Q200 as an FO while you are finishing upgrade class on an RJ at some other regional. Don't get me wrong, QX is a good company, but in todays regional airline environment the lack of advancement supercedes any benefits/pay that may exist here.

Sincerely,

A Q200 FO sweating his a$$ off doing 6-8 leg days for the past 5 1/2 years while new hire CRJ FOs with 1500 hrs get more days off.

I beg to differ...I'm still pondering jumpin ship and moving to Horizon, but only if I get hired into the Q200.:p I will concede that going back to FO pay (even though Horizon is competitive) would royally suck especially since SEA is an expensive area. But it took me 5 years to upgrade and I still miss the pac NW. I would make horizon my home if I made the move. Just different strokes for different folks. Not everybody is a Turbine PIC seeking missle.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back