• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any word on Horizon hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two of my fellow Freight Doggin' comrades got picked up by Horizon this month. Several more have been offered interviews. Sounds like something is going on...

Let me give you a bit of advice. Don't come to work at Horizon unless the sole reason is to live in the Seattle/Portland area. Trust me, you'll thank me in 3 years when all of your colleagues that came here are barely holding a line in the Q200 as an FO while you are finishing upgrade class on an RJ at some other regional. Don't get me wrong, QX is a good company, but in todays regional airline environment the lack of advancement supercedes any benefits/pay that may exist here.

Sincerely,

A Q200 FO sweating his a$$ off doing 6-8 leg days for the past 5 1/2 years while new hire CRJ FOs with 1500 hrs get more days off.

Last edited:
rke44 said:
A Q200 FO sweating his a$$ off doing 6-8 leg days for the past 5 1/2 years while new hire CRJ FOs with 1500 hrs get more days off. Especially those in DIA with the initials AC
Do I detect a wee bit of bitterness there? :D
Amazing what can happen when you have...uhh...connections.

rke44 said:
Let me give you a bit of advice. Don't come to work at Horizon unless the sole reason is to live in the Seattle/Portland area. Trust me, you'll thank me in 3 years when all of your colleagues that came here are barely holding a line in the Q200 as an FO while you are finishing upgrade class on an RJ at some other regional. Don't get me wrong, QX is a good company, but in todays regional airline environment the lack of advancement supercedes any benefits/pay that may exist here.

Sincerely,

A Q200 FO sweating his a$$ off doing 6-8 leg days for the past 5 1/2 years while new hire CRJ FOs with 1500 hrs get more days off.

Do you mean that Horizon doesn't do promotion via seniority? Or do you mean somebody at a different company.
I tried for a long time to get some traction on my resume at Horizon, the best I ever did was a postcard reply acknowleging my resume was in the pile. I wanted to work there since I'm from the NW. Now I'm at a good company, the upgrades will probably be slow also, but at least not glacially slow.

coolyokeluke said:
Do you mean that Horizon doesn't do promotion via seniority?

You are hired into whatever airplane the company wants you in; you get paid on what your senority would hold. i.e. new RJ FO's in DEN are getting Dash 200 pay. As an FO, you can choose to bid an opening at a new base/new airplane, but if you do, they dump you back to the bottom of the pay scale and lock you there for two years.

PumpkinPony said:
You are hired into whatever airplane the company wants you in; you get paid on what your senority would hold. i.e. new RJ FO's in DEN are getting Dash 200 pay. As an FO, you can choose to bid an opening at a new base/new airplane, but if you do, they dump you back to the bottom of the pay scale and lock you there for two years.

And the Teamsters at Horizon agreed to this ridiculous policy and the pilots at Horizon accepted it (along with some other real doozies that are in this sham of a "contract" that they work under). Personally I would be embarrassed to admit it and would be doing everything within my power to recall those responsible for this abomination of a contract and get someone in there with even HALF a clue.

Then educate the pilot group so that something ridiculous like this doesn't happen again next time.

Save your breath. I've heard the "first contract" BS enough already.

Yank McCobb said:
And the Teamsters at Horizon agreed to this ridiculous policy and the pilots at Horizon accepted it (along with some other real doozies that are in this sham of a "contract" that they work under). Personally I would be embarrassed to admit it and would be doing everything within my power to recall those responsible for this abomination of a contract and get someone in there with even HALF a clue.

Then educate the pilot group so that something ridiculous like this doesn't happen again next time.

grumble grumble grumble

Yank McCobb said:

Thanks for taking time out from your Dungeons and Dragons game to weigh in. Now run along son and do your chores; living in Gram's basement may be cheap, but it ain't free...........

Latest resources

Back