• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any truth to Mesaba merging into NWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
YourPIlotFriend - get off your high mainline horse. Those of us at Mesaba are not salivating at the possibility of 70 seaters. We're salivating at the posibility our company stays in tact, we have enough money to pay our bills and we all have respectable jobs when this BS comes to an end.

Do you have ANY clue what's going on at XJ? Mgmt is not selling us on the idea that they're a done deal. They're telling us what your MGMT wants to do and that they intend on competing for that business. That's why we are looking at concessions. I know it must be hard to take a pay cut when you're making 100K or even 80K as an FO... but how do you as someone making 24K or even 35K to do so? It's a joke.

So if you think those at XJ are enjoying this never ending game of $hit on Mesaba (again) go f.uck yourself. I'm sick of reading the BS that you mainline pilots are spewing as if WE are the cause of your problems. GET OVER IT!

It was my dream to be an NWA pilot since I was a kid. I've seen what your mgmt does to you folks and how they've infected Mesaba and Pinnacle. There's no way I have any desire to work at your company. I don't have the SMJS that you assume we all have at the Airlinks.

SMJS = shiny mainline jet syndrome

FO

Last edited:
tripacer said:
If you're a NWA pilot on furlough, about to be furloughed, or are at the bottom of the list, you have no business flowing back to XJ. 3 years ago, we weren't good enough to talk to about a flow thru; but now that you're losing your job due to inept management, suddenly a Saab Cpt position is yours to bid? That's funny.

TP,

Better check your facts there. Call your MEC Chairman and ask him what really happened to the flowthrough.

Fact: The NWA MEC secured an agreement in the 1998 contract that required NWA management to negotiate a flow through for XJ and Express (as they were then)

Fact: A flow through agreement was almost complete, except for one thing...NWA management wanted to be able to screen who flowed up. So you number comes up, and oops, sorry, NWA says you have BO, so you're not allowed to flow up. No appeal, no 2nd chance, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

They absolutely would not budge off of this. So the whole thing tanked. Why were they so wrapped up on this? Who knows, after all, XJ and PCL guys fly NWA passengers every day, right?

In the end, it came down to a bad agreement or no agreement. Which one would you pick?

Nu

xjhawk said:
a few questions.........
why cannot we all get along?
Why are you letting NWA management divide us?
Why is ALPA not as strong as .....lets say the electircal union? the teamsters?
Why does every NWA pilot i see who flys a narrow body think they are being sold out? does that mean NWA has already split their npilot group?
will i be at a regional my entire career? (yes)
why the heck am i here......oh yes, livin the dream....or was it night mare! wake me up someone!

Ego........?

Isnt '06-'08 the highest retirement years? So if thats the case is it enough for most or all of the guys to get off the street....and the Flow through thing help the guys get on mainline who would never have gotten there anyway?(do to the current state of affair).....dont quote me on that...

Positive Rate said:
Isnt '06-'08 the highest retirement years? So if thats the case is it enough for most or all of the guys to get off the street....and the Flow through thing help the guys get on mainline who would never have gotten there anyway?(do to the current state of affair).....dont quote me on that...

Exactly, it won't be more than a year before everybody is back working. I don't think the mesaba pilots realize what a benfit it would be. This unity thing is about keeping scope so that we have more power and control as pilots. If I were a XJ/PNCL pilot I would rather take a temporary downgrade or furlough, than lose it completely to another company.(MESA or some other Hojet airline)

YourPilotFriend said:
Exactly, it won't be more than a year before everybody is back working. I don't think the mesaba pilots realize what a benfit it would be. This unity thing is about keeping scope so that we have more power and control as pilots. If I were a XJ/PNCL pilot I would rather take a temporary downgrade or furlough, than lose it completely to another company.(MESA or some other Hojet airline)

I was tryin to be subtle, but i m for it......it's gonna suck for eveyone on the top of XJ's list (mess with some serious egos, and the guys close to retirements, within 5-6 years etc, the guys at the bottem)....but when all said and done.....i wont have to worry about another interview........
Give the mainline guys a job for a while.....yes the guys on the bottom of XJ will be out of work for a while(including myself)....but what about payin dues?...oh sure i ve paid my dues, woe is me:(.......Life sucks cuz the grass is greener over there...look how green it is..everyone is out to get me..sorry i dont know where that came from

I am open to be educated if i have the wrong ideas about it.....but everyone has there own way of doin biz.

Last edited:
That's not all

Actually, we need to go beyond scope, to a one-list. I know, it is expensive and will require huge amounts of leverage and sacrifice, but to keep the current whipsaw/outsource situation? No. A flow-through/flow-back won't work, either. Unfair and expensive, and it perpetuates the d-scale. This third-class career we are living to subsidize mainline has to stop, at all airlines.
If you are looking to us to be a help, and not the destination of your jobs, you need to focus beyond your own pay, pensions, and progression.
It is sad to see furloughs, cuts, and loss of retirement at mainline, but I will shed no tears, for lack of leadership at alpa, which can't see beyond it's current every-mec-for-itself strategy. That goes for my own mec, too.
We have bright people running alpa at all three groups, but they require a different vision. It is not coming from woerth, so how about us? Time to start calling reps, attending meetings, etc.
No, I'm not a whiner, but an active alpa volunteer.

The alternative? more scope relief, 1000 furloughs, new jets at airlinks, and NO LEVERAGE at ANY nwa carrier for the next contract. Sad, but that seems to be the future...

screwed_again said:
Name one.
Contrary to what you may think, there are some pilots trying to save this profession for the younger generation. I could name them, but I don't think they want to be the subject of ridicule on an internet forum.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back