Any truth to Mesaba merging into NWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
YourPilotFriend said:
Hope you guys at XJ like the race to the bottom, hopefully when you get there you still have a job making enough to stay off food stamps.

Yeah, you're my friend. Are you enjoying the race to the top?

You sound like some of these guys who were happy about getting the Avro back in 1997, enjoyed the growth with a quick upgrade and accrued enough hours to get the interview with NWA. Now that you're furloughed, you loath the RJs claiming they are screwing mainline jobs.

I guess one's perspective can change overnight. Did you think the flow-thru was a good idea when you were at XJ or is it a good idea now that it helps you now?

Last edited:
YourPilotFriend said:
So your saying that once you cbecome a NWA pilot you can't go here and there your stuck at NWA for life. Nothing says you can't go over to SWA, FedEx, UPS, JetBlue, etc. If anything it would give you more options

I know it's been awhile for you, but PIC time in a Saab still gets you in the door to FedEx faster than sh.it ton of SIC in a DC9. I guarantee everyone looking to leave XJ is not looking at NW as some type of "way out" or "lifeboat". One's better off keeping what they got at XJ and using that to get them the h.ell out of the enitre family.

YourPilotFriend said:
The only way they can have newco is if they get out of scope. The only way to save scope is unifing the seniority list so that all NWA flying is by NWA pilots. Newco will happen and if there isn't a scope clause, there will not be NWA pilots flying for them. If you guys up at NWA don't get control of this right now, you can forget about having a job in the future.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but you are off on a couple of counts. The NWA pilots have a Scope clause already, we OWN per legally binding contract, all 55 seat and above flying (except for the grandfathered ARJ's). The ONLY way NWA can implement NEWCO is we either agree to a contractual modification or it is imposed via the 1113c process. One of the big reasons we approved the extension was to have more time to work out Scope issues, specifically keeping that flying on the NWA property.

Even if we did not, it would stil be staffed with NWA pilots in seniority, with permanent recall flow up/down to NEWCO. If you are inferring that XJ/PCL must be intergrated into NEWCO you are incorrect.

We will have plenty of our own pilots to staff it and XJ/PCL have NO claim to this flying. The NWA MEC has proposed flow through for both NEWCO and the in-house version, NSTAR.

Amen Brotha

KaptainKarl said:
You speak like NWA is the holy grail for a XJ pilot. "All but a few people at XJ are there to move on to something bigger and better, ..." Yep, like SWA, FedEx, UPS, JetBlue, etc. We are perfectly happy building time here and going THERE. Keep your legacy carrier and your inept, inbred mgmt.

When I was kid, I thought NWA was the stuff; that's where I wanted to work. Now, after working for XJ and seeing what NWA Mgmt, Agents, FA, Pilots, THE WHOLE SYSTEM... I'll be darned if I'd ever want to work there. It sucks!

I've been talking with a friend about going to his company and fly corporate. He told me the pay was great, QOL was ok, gone about half the month, etc. etc. I told him that the one thing I really wanted to hear from him that would make this really appealing is if he could tell me his Company APPRECIATES what he does and RESPECTS his position.

Ya know, I'd even consider taking a small pay cut for a limited amount of time until the company is back-in-black if I felt our Mgmt really appreciated us and respected us. To them and NWA Mgmt, we are just an unwanted expense. Screw 'em. My dignity is worth more than this.

Cya,

CP

tripacer said:
If you're a NWA pilot on furlough, about to be furloughed, or are at the bottom of the list, you have no business flowing back to XJ. 3 years ago, we weren't good enough to talk to about a flow thru; but now that you're losing your job due to inept management, suddenly a Saab Cpt position is yours to bid? That's funny.

Mesa is hiring if you want out of that horrible QOL as an engineer making $45k a year. ~ Spoiled brat.
IF the seniority lists were ever intergrated, it would have to be a 2-way street, both flow up and back. If not it will never be approved. Got to take the bad with the good.Given the fact that we have so many on furlough, and a 2-way deal would disadvantage XJ pilots I doubt you guys would have any interest at the moment.While an eventual goal, I think a list integration is only obtainable when both entities are in a growth mode.

KaptainKarl said:
Reread my post. I would never work for NWA.

You fly the flight that makes NWA money, you work for mesaba that works for NWA. By default you work for NWA. If you work for NWA nothing prevents you from going anywhere you would like too. The reason to integrate the list is to say that any pilot flying an airplane making money for northwest is a northwest pilot. If you think Mesaba can compete against any other regional flying right now for those 76 seat airplanes your mistaken.

Funny. Why haven't we integrated the lists yet? Were u onboard with that idea when MSA ALPA proposed it? Thought not. You had nothing to gain then. Interesting how when you are the ones looking down the barrel.... You are right. We are no Mesa. If they come and bid, then we will deal with that. But I think it best to fight one fight at a time. Let's not fight NWA furloughees from back flowing when we are fighting Mesa from undercutting us.You, friend, were so happy when u left us at XJ. Well, now u can deal with the problems your NEW job has. Personally, I hope XJ tells NWA to suck a big fat one and we find other grass.

KaptainKarl said:
Funny. Why haven't we integrated the lists yet? Were u onboard with that idea when MSA ALPA proposed it? Thought not. You had nothing to gain then. Interesting how when you are the ones looking down the barrel.... You are right. We are no Mesa. If they come and bid, then we will deal with that. But I think it best to fight one fight at a time. Let's not fight NWA furloughees from back flowing when we are fighting Mesa from undercutting us.You, friend, were so happy when u left us at XJ. Well, now u can deal with the problems your NEW job has. Personally, I hope XJ tells NWA to suck a big fat one and we find other grass.

We haven't integrated the list because you guys aren't recieving aircraft that is our flying. If you set foot in a 76 seat CRJ you are actively taking my job. I'm ok with this as long as you are a NWA pilot; I'm not ok with this if you are not. This is to stop outsourcing and keep NWA/XJ/PNCL pilots employed. If we have one list it doesn't matter if Air Venezela is operating the aircraft a NWA pilot is flying it.

Latest resources

Back