Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any traffic in the area please advise!!!!!

• Thread starter BE90flyer
  • Start date
  • Watchers 26

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was flying into VNC (Venice, FL) late the other night and had this conversation with someone who obviously had his radio turned down ... (no one else was in the area or on the com)

Him: Cessna 1234 is departing on the active runway XX any traffic please advise.
Me: Cessna 1234 is 5-miles NW of the field, will be inbound for left-downwind, runway XX.
Him: Cherokee 1234 is on the upwind runway XX any traffic please advise.
Me: Cessna 1234 is still inbound, 5-NW.
Him: Cherokee 1234 is turning NE for departure, any traffic please advise.
Me: Your wife sure was good last night
Him: Cherokee 1234 is departing to the NE, any traffic please advise
Me: Say car "Ram-Rod"!

lol. Is it really that important? So the guy transmitting is lazy. Big deal.

Would you rather the pilot not transmit at all? Radio or not, position reports
are OPTIONAL.

CE

I HATE this too, and the whole active runway thing. I just want to smack a student for it, if he somehow picked it up from another CFI.

If you listen to UNICOM, and someone annoucnes he's turning downwind for runway 10, I'm guessing 10 is the active, and now you know that there is traffic in the pattern.

Also wind is 280 @ 20 and someone asks for the active runway, yea we're landing on 10 today just of sh*ts and giggles. MORONS

IF the wind is calm and you don't hear anyone, land however you want. Hell land with a 20kts tail wind for all I care. Airport advisory is another one (if there is an asos/awos)

Uggh.

i dont think its such a bad idea to say it just once, but when it gets repeated numerous times like you mentioned i agree very annoying. but i find it helpful before i taxi out to the runway

Yeah, its annoying but I would usually use it one time entering the pattern at my homeairport after cancelling IFR cause we usually had a few in the pattern and I was the jerk that didn't much care for correct pattern entry as I was always anxious to get out of the plane so approach would usually tell me if there was a blip in the pattern and I'd call 10 out for straight ins or whatever doing 200kts. Sorry guys, but patterns suck!

I say it all the time when coming on Frequency at uncontrolled fields, only when coming on Frequency though. Annoying to some? Yes. Unsafe? Not by any means in my opinion.

It depends where you are. If your on 122.8 on the Cape in the summer don't waste your time, you'll get replies from Newport. If you just transitioned from busy Class B airspace at night and your 3 miles from the airport, I don't see how it could hurt. I personally don't do it, but I don't mind when people do. Unless of course it is after every transmission they make, but I have never heard that, like the above describe.

Lemme hijack this one briefly and add Catbert's Radio Annoyance #7:

How 'bout people who call in with "Barnburner 123FU is 3 from FIXIT on the VOR 28."

Thanks, that's real helpful for my student soloing in the pattern. I guess the assumption is that we included all the local instrument approaches on the pre-solo written exam.

Last edited:
Catbert said:
Lemme hijack this one briefly and add Catbert's Radio Annoyance #7:

How 'bout people who call in with "Barnburner 123FU is 3 from FIXIT on the VOR 28."

Thanks, that's real helpful for my student soloing in the pattern. I guess the assumption is that we included all the local instrument approaches on the pre-solo written exam.

I agree, ATC doesn't know half of the GPS intersections out there, how are we supposed to keep track of them?

Yeah, that's a good one Catbert!

When we give position/intention advisories, it would indeed be more constructive if we were to give the information in a way that most other pilots can make use of it. A bit of an art really. I like something like: "Podunk traffic.. smokey-jet (aircraft type) is 10 east, straight-in runway 28 Podunk". The specific situation may require additional verbage, but I'll start with the simplest and shortest. If someone responds with position/intentions which may conflict, then we coordinate with them to resolve it and fit in.

Wx and traffic may require a change of plans. Monitoring the CTAF for a few minutes prior to area arrival is helpful, workload permitting. I find most local traffic to be very willing to adjust their pattern to acommodate higher minimum speed, less maneuverable aircraft. If required, I am always prepared to adjust mine. Eyes open for other traffic! Arrival can become very busy sometimes, so advance planning is key.

Collision/conflict avoidance at non-ATCT airports is a cooperative effort between pilots and most take this seriously. I hope we keep it that way. CFIs can help by emphasizing stuational awareness and cooperation in the pattern to their students. Same thing goes for the training and flight ops departments at airlines and charter companies.

There will always be some less than thoughtful and considerate pilots out there. Maybe they just need a little education. Mine continues.

Best,

Latest resources

Back