Any tips before Saab 340B traning?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

antney

I am starting class for saab training at the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas that would help me prepare myself for traning, regardless if it is for the saab. just general preparation for my first 121 ground school. I am coming from the CFI ranks, so my experience is very limited in ground schools for 121 companies. any suggestions would be great, ecspecially if they involve the saab. i have found some memory items and limitations for the saab from previous people with the same company. well thanks if anyone can help.
antney

Who did you get hired by flying the 340?

Learn the memory items and limitations as early as possible. Also, don't go to the sim without knowing your CALLS and PROFILES. Know them forwards and backwards. I was a Saab sim instructor for a while and the guys that had the most trouble in the sim was because the couldn't think of their calls when they needed them. Good Luck in training, and have fun in the Saab. It is a great airplane to fly!

GE CT7

The good ol' Saab-o-matic... nothing beats this fine Swedish bird.

You'll probably end up spending a majority of ground school learning about the lovely engine systems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember the GE CT7 is a Blackhawk engine converted for airplane usage. Lots of overspeed protection!

Last edited:
Yeah, that CT7-9B had all sorts of overspeed protection. The above advice is the best you can get, so I'll re-iterate. Know all your limitations and memory items early as possible. Just start memorizing, even if you have no idea what they mean. You'll learn what they mean in school and in the sim. learn the profiles (and associated calls) front and back before you get in the sim.

Also, find a good sim partner, it can make a big difference. If Chicaga Express has good Cockpit trainers (full size mockups made from photos.) Use them every day. My sim partner and I had a 2PM to 6PM sim time during training. We did the same routine every day. He'd pick me up in the morining, we'd have breakfast, and then head to the CPT where we'd go through the profiles and callouts for everything we were going to be doing in the sim. We'd go over it over and over and over again. You may feel silly sitting there holding an imaginary yoke and flipping imaginary swithces, but get over it. It makes a world of difference. After the CPT, we'd grab lunch and head to the sim. We'd kick ass for a little while in the sim, and then grab dinner, and go home and study the profiles and callouts for the next day's sim session.

Stay away from the bar except on weekends... Call your wife or girlfriend once a day to tell her you're too busy to talk to her. Other than that, live and breathe the Saab while your in training, do not allow distractions.

An initial 121 ground school is like sucking on a fire hose turned on full blast.

Saab flying

It is a really fun airplane to fly...you'll like it alot..
Not fast, or glamorous but still a kick to fly.

Just study for the systems "electrical the hardest" and you'll do fine.

have fun..

All the above Info is good, It is a great airplane.

My one extra piece of advice is to buy a good Headset. I am getting a headache just thinking about my Damm DC's.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Latest resources

Back