Any tips before Saab 340B traning?

antney

Total Time
+++
I am starting class for saab training at the end of this month. I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas that would help me prepare myself for traning, regardless if it is for the saab. just general preparation for my first 121 ground school. I am coming from the CFI ranks, so my experience is very limited in ground schools for 121 companies. any suggestions would be great, ecspecially if they involve the saab. i have found some memory items and limitations for the saab from previous people with the same company. well thanks if anyone can help.
antney

FL350

WAR EAGLE!!!!
Total Time
Who did you get hired by flying the 340?

SF3409E

Total Time
Learn the memory items and limitations as early as possible. Also, don't go to the sim without knowing your CALLS and PROFILES. Know them forwards and backwards. I was a Saab sim instructor for a while and the guys that had the most trouble in the sim was because the couldn't think of their calls when they needed them. Good Luck in training, and have fun in the Saab. It is a great airplane to fly!

T-handle

Total Time
6000+
GE CT7

The good ol' Saab-o-matic... nothing beats this fine Swedish bird.

You'll probably end up spending a majority of ground school learning about the lovely engine systems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember the GE CT7 is a Blackhawk engine converted for airplane usage. Lots of overspeed protection!

Last edited:

FlyinBrian

Office Slut
Total Time
Yeah, that CT7-9B had all sorts of overspeed protection. The above advice is the best you can get, so I'll re-iterate. Know all your limitations and memory items early as possible. Just start memorizing, even if you have no idea what they mean. You'll learn what they mean in school and in the sim. learn the profiles (and associated calls) front and back before you get in the sim.

Also, find a good sim partner, it can make a big difference. If Chicaga Express has good Cockpit trainers (full size mockups made from photos.) Use them every day. My sim partner and I had a 2PM to 6PM sim time during training. We did the same routine every day. He'd pick me up in the morining, we'd have breakfast, and then head to the CPT where we'd go through the profiles and callouts for everything we were going to be doing in the sim. We'd go over it over and over and over again. You may feel silly sitting there holding an imaginary yoke and flipping imaginary swithces, but get over it. It makes a world of difference. After the CPT, we'd grab lunch and head to the sim. We'd kick ass for a little while in the sim, and then grab dinner, and go home and study the profiles and callouts for the next day's sim session.

Stay away from the bar except on weekends... Call your wife or girlfriend once a day to tell her you're too busy to talk to her. Other than that, live and breathe the Saab while your in training, do not allow distractions.

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Total Time
An initial 121 ground school is like sucking on a fire hose turned on full blast.

InstructorPuke

Jester's Dead!!
Total Time
Saab flying

It is a really fun airplane to fly...you'll like it alot..
Not fast, or glamorous but still a kick to fly.

Just study for the systems "electrical the hardest" and you'll do fine.

have fun..

OakRBust

Still Lucky as Hell
Total Time
10 k
All the above Info is good, It is a great airplane.

My one extra piece of advice is to buy a good Headset. I am getting a headache just thinking about my Damm DC's.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
Total Time
enough
Most of the check airmen I've ever come across are really hung up on the autocoarsen system. It's not that complicated but expect to get questions on it ranging from what parameters are required to arm the system to tracing what systems are affected by the autocoarsen computer signal.

antney

Total Time
+++
thanks guys for all your help. ive been studying the @#$% out of the limitations. I preety much know them inside and out. well as to the best i can. i appreciate everyones insight. this should help for my class. thanks once again.
antney

Av8trxx

Total Time
5,000+
More!!!!

A while back I found a thread on Flight Info about this guys SF3 PC. He detailed a bunch of questions and specifics that were testing material at his airline. I printed it out and have used it as sort of a study guide as I try to anwser them with my AOM. Like homework that is also a refresher as I cram to go back to ground school.

Can anyone here post some questions along those lines? Such as what were you asked on tests, quizes & orals. Got any advice on remembering stuff beyond FEABLE RAT, WEBALLS, FRAIL & AFROG? What about a bit of Saab trivia or the odd fact that is interesting to know about her systems?

Thanks!

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
The Saab is a good airplane in general. Almost every landing in the old bird is a perfect 10......... on the richter scale :D

Still havn't figured out how to set her down softly!

Good luck with the rest of your training and have fun when you get to IOE and the line

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Total Time
Great airplane to fly, you'll love it. It does nothing in a hurry, but it's really a ball to fly... The initial however is the toughest I've been through so far so study hard. Have ALL of the limitations down cold BEFORE you go to school because you'll have your hands full figuring everything else out. The engine in and of itself is a great motor, however it got pretty complicated when they started hanging accessories all over to make it a turbo-prop airplane motor. I only flew A-models at Chautauqua and one of the corporate ones after that so I always longed to try out a B-model. Have fun, relax, and open wide to receive the "Old Firehose"...

:D

surplus1

Total Time
25K+
Antney

The others have given you a lot of good advice. The only thing I would add is this:

Make sure that the material you are studying in advance of school comes from the airline that has hired you. Do not study material from other airlines or you may find that you have to unlearn it.

Keep an open mind and pay attention. You will learn a lot of new things in a very short time, but you can hack it.

Given your background the airplane may appear to be overwhelming but it really isn't. The Saab is a pretty straight forward airplane with realitively few quirks. With regard to systems, remember, all you have to do is learn how to operate the systems, not how to build the airplane.

Good luck in your new position. There are some nice people at that little Company. If you can stand MDW in the winter you'll have fun flying there.

cl-65link

Total Time
Unfortunately it flies like a truck.

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
Remember: The ignition key is in the floor.

Av8trxx

Total Time
5,000+
Hey FlyChicaga, thanks for the pop quiz. I printed it out and am working on the anwsers.......Hope I will be primed and ready come Nov 3rd! I like that trivia part too.....anyone else got more???

:D

F-eagle

Total Time
Don't panic, you will get behind the power curve. The secret to any ground school is to get enough sleep. The better rested you are the more you will retain in ground school, and the less studying you will need to do. Try to learn your memory items, and limitations before you start, that is a huge help, but if you don't no problem you will still do just fine. Don't forget to relax at the end of the day, watch a little TV and drink some beer. If all you do is study you are going to drive yourself crazy, and ware yourself down.
Good luck