• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any suggestions for me?...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious, what do you guys think of getting all my ratings at a local FBO, and then getting a degree in Aviation Management from CSULA? I personally think a degree in aviation administration would be fun, but I have recieved both criticism and praise, what's your opinion?
-Thanks

Run a search on "degree" ... I'll bet you'll find hundreds of admonitions to get a degree in something useable, practical, and most importantly ... non-aviation-related.

You'll need it one day. It's the nature of the beast. :(

Minh

Personally, I think people worry way too much about which degree to get--just make sure you have one. There are scores of people out there that are working in areas that have absolutely nothing to do with their degrees. That's how life goes. So just pick something that you are interested in, and go with it. Heaven knows that you'll be putting a lot of time into studying, so make sure that it is something that you like. I majored in aviation because it was something that I was interested in. Could I have majored in psychology, meteorology, communications, business, accounting, engineering and been ok? Yeah! And actually, some of those majors would have been a lot of fun, and believe it or not, I wish that I had a little more training in statistics so I could interpret them better--that's sort of coming into play with my masters program. But I majored in aviation because I thought it would be the most interesting.

People make the incorrect assumption that a major field of study is limiting. That may be true in very technical fields such as engineering or accounting, but as a general rule, you can pretty much go wherever your interests take you.

In short: pick a cheap school with an interesting major and go too. You just need a degree, not an aviation degree per se.

-Goose

If you can afford this - I would reccomend going to the college of your choice for a few semesters, take a summer and do the 90 day career pilot program at ATP, come back to school and get a job as a flight instructor while going to school.. rack up some hours during your last 2-3 years of school and then start looking for a job..

Wish that is what I had done...

Also, a degree in aviation is about as useful as a degree in flower arangements. :)

Tram said:
Also, a degree in aviation is about as useful as a degree in flower arangements.

Probably less!

But then again it did help get me admitted to a non-aviation related masters program, and I haven't been prevented from doing anything that I have wanted because of my degree choice. Like I said, I think people worry about this way too much.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back