• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SeanAucoin

could you maybe help me out...

what would your thoughts be...

Option #1: I live in MA, they have a community college up here (north shore community college) Where I can get my associates in aviation and all my ratings... total cost would be about $35,000 for everything then I would probally instruct and do the riddle extended campus deal online...or maybe transfer to an aviation school?...

Option #2 Move to florida (already sounds nicer then MA) go to broward community college, get the training from delta connection academy, get all the ratings/degree, then instruct there (guranteed) and work on the riddle extended campus deal down there..then get that guranteed job interview... total would be about $50,000 with the apartment...

any suggestions on that?

Hey Sean,

I'm just north of you.

SeanAucoin said:
any suggestions on that?

Yeah! The cheaper one! I'm not really familiar with DCA and how they operate, but from what I've heard, you probably ought to take the term "guaranteed" with a grain of salt. Perhaps those who have gone that route can contribute to this discussion. I mean, in the end it's you that'll have to make that call, but it never hurts to get all the facts.

Granted this was out west, but I ended up spending about $18K of my own money for a 4 year degree and all my ratings pvt-cfi. $50K is way too much to spend and there are ways around sinking that kind of cash into your flying career. Do some research and see if you can figure something else out. There's got to be something better than going to Florida! (Horrors!)

Seriously, GIA, hurricanes, Disney, no mountains and no snow? Do you guys have anything good down there? ;)

-Goose

Last edited:
hey goose,

thanks for the reply...how did you get a 4 year degree and your ratings for 18K??

are you an airline pilot?

Sean

I didn't go to DCA so I can't tell you anything about that. However I have heard some bad stuff about DCA on here. If I could start over knowing what I know now this is how I would do it. Go to a non aviaiton college. If that college has an aviation dept then thats cool, but look for a degree in something other than aviation as a back up. (I didn't do that so if I lose my medical or something like that then its off to Home Depot for me) Get your ratings at a local FBO. Try to get a job at the FBO (be a line guy or something like that) most places will give you a discount if you are an employee. I did that and my FBO gave 15% off of the flight time and 10% off of the pilot supplies.

Since you asked the other guy I just upgraded at a regional so I guess you can call me an airline pilot. I was a CFI CFII MEI and towed gliders in order to build my time.

i've known people who spent upwards of $80k at DCA.. this seems like more the norm than the exception based on what i've heard. Try doing a board search on DCA.. you'll probably be surprised..

hey..DCA in sanford is definetly upwards of 80K. the one at the broward community college is just run by there flight department and you get an associates degree also... so its 10 times cheaper

LOL! See Sean ... I got the low-down here years ago, myself. :D

Get your ratings at an FBO, and a practical degree in something besides aviation. That's the best possible plan . You'll save tons of money, and you'll have something to fall back on when you lose a flying job. :)

Minh

Latest resources

Back