Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any rumors for an American Eagle New Hire?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a pool and I believe they still are hiring into that pool.

There was a April 11th new hire class of 10 people. 3 DFW SAAB, 6 SJU ATR, and 1 CRJ ORD.

There is another class starting April 25th of another 10 people or so.....I bet most will be ATR or SAAB again.

Not to discourage you, but...

If you get the ATR, you might get lucky and get the biggest pr*ck on God's green earth as a sim instructor. He'll screw up your confidence and determination so bad, you'll spend the rest of training wondering why the *&%# you ever applied there. Then after you pass your sim check and go to aircraft training finally feeling pretty good about things since you flew the rest of the sims with an outstanding instructor, you'll have the pleasure of having to fly with one of Capt. Pr*ck's buddies, who will reduce you to feeling like crap again. By that point, you'll be so frazzled and pissed off, you won't know what to do. Oh, and the 1 and 2 week breaks between finishing the sims, the first flight in the airplane, and the checkride in the airplane won't help either. A case of pure bad luck and timing will cause you to miss the flight down to your checkride which you probably aren't ready for anyways, since it took so friggen long to schedule. The weekend before the rug dance at the training manager's office in Dallas, you'll think to yourself, "is it really worth being miserable, based 3000 miles from home on some island, making less than the toothless lady at Wal-Mart, and not upgrading this decade?"

If you're smart and want to go somewhere in your career, you'll happily deliver a resignation letter and turn in your manuals. Then get a turbine PIC job that pays over twice as much as their slap-in-the-face first year F/O pay, and that will actually take your career somewhere, and never look back.

Not that I would know all this from experience.... :)

EatSleepFly said:
If you get the ATR, you might get lucky and get the biggest pr*ck on God's green earth as a sim instructor. He'll screw up your confidence and determination so bad, you'll spend the rest of training wondering why the *&%# you ever applied there. Then after you pass your sim check and go to aircraft training finally feeling pretty good about things since you flew the rest of the sims with an outstanding instructor, you'll have the pleasure of having to fly with one of Capt. Pr*ck's buddies, who will reduce you to feeling like crap again. By that point, you'll be so frazzled and pissed off, you won't know what to do. Oh, and the 1 and 2 week breaks between finishing the sims, the first flight in the airplane, and the checkride in the airplane won't help either. A case of pure bad luck and timing will cause you to miss the flight down to your checkride which you probably aren't ready for anyways, since it took so friggen long to schedule. The weekend before the rug dance at the training manager's office in Dallas, you'll think to yourself, "is it really worth being miserable, based 3000 miles from home on some island, making less than the toothless lady at Wal-Mart, and not upgrading this decade?"

If you're smart and want to go somewhere in your career, you'll happily deliver a resignation letter and turn in your manuals. Then get a turbine PIC job that pays over twice as much as their slap-in-the-face first year F/O pay, and that will actually take your career somewhere, and never look back.

Not that I would know all this from experience.... :)

these types of guys are compensating for something "missing" that they don't have, and if its confirmed you DO have it, plan on their mistreatment to be worse.

F**cked up home life, divorces, kids who hate dad, dad who failed "that big major interview" many moons ago, etc. SOMETHING is going on behind the scenes.

FIND IT, Uncover what it is and you will bring those azzholes to their knees.

There must be some sensitive cargo inside, some important documents, if all those missiles are being launched and all those machine gun nests are always firing. Hmmm, wonder what it could be.

next time you see them, mention how the Mrs. cooked you breakfast this morning, how your kid got an A, how you talked to your still-married-parents last night, etc. Capt D1ckhead will always show his hand.

Get behind the lines and those guys are all yours.

I did the very thing and had a major d1ckhead cry in front of me.

what a joke

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Your honest opinions are appreciated. Sounds like things aren't perfect but at this point, I can't see it. Perhaps I will run into jerks here and there but at the end of the day I'll still be happy because any day in an ATR in San Juan is better than a day in a 172.
For the guy that wants me to go back to FS2004, perhaps i did jump the gun slightly. I was told I got approved by the captain's review board but the job isn't truly yours till your off probation riight...

Pilot1625 said:
Before all the Eagle whiners come on the board....and I am Eagle....just beware.
JUST beware? How about plain old...beware? Isn't that good enough?

AirlinePilot777 said:
Perhaps I will run into jerks here and there but at the end of the day I'll still be happy because any day in an ATR in San Juan is better than a day in a 172.

Lets see if your still saying that after 6 months in San Juan, you might actually want to jump back into a 172. I've known a few people that have worked at eagle. One was my brothers friend who got stuck down there and couldn't stand it after 2 months. He finally bid for chicago and got it, moved completly up there and bought a house and then they told him that they needed him back in San Juan. So for months he commuted!. From Chi town to san juan and back which he thought was bull and hated it. The other was my instructor who went there after working for a 135 charter for a couple years. He had always said he would never do the regionals but he decided to give it a shot. Anyway he got hired last winter maybe feburary of 04' finished training in the RJ i believe and commuted from Des Moines starting in like May. Basically he commuted in and sat in the airport all day on reserve went back, came in sat all day in airport on reserve went back, came in sat all day in airport on reserve went back....think you get the point. He was making 13,000 a year about 24,000 less than he was previously making and getting almost no flight time and he quit after 3 months. Got hired at a different charter in Des Moines flying Chiefs and King Airs making almost 3 times the money he was making at Eagle and he will never do the regionals again. Hell he only works maybe 2-3 times a week, gets decent flight time and he makes that much more. Just haven't heard good things over there. But good luck if you go. Maybe like the others said use it to build up your resume and to learn more about the industry.

Last edited:
eh?

13k a year for a new hire in 02/04 at eagle? must be a ramper or something. starting pay was 20.97 for 75 hours a month before the increase for a new hire FO, jet or prop.

First year FO pay now is up to 22.89 an hour, which is still horrid for any job where you are jointly responsible for up to 70 people, but its not the worst in the industry. Still, before taxes and medical, etc., your looking at almost 21k a year gross. What's taken out of your paycheck is going to vary.

Airport ready does suck (sitting at the airport all day), but you won't be doing it forever.

A classmate of mine failed his probation ride, but with a good attendance record, good capt. reports, and a good attitude, he was given a re-take and passed. EVERY story I have heard so far about new hire probie rides ending up in termination have had other extenuating circumstances involved (missed assignments, bad reports, and other things that gave the person a reputation). One person I heard failed the ride twice and was released. That person, from what I heard, had a good attitude, reports, etc.

Too bad your friend left, he probably could be holding a jet seat by now, making more money and holding a line somewhere or be close to it. All of these things make life much easier.

You have to do what makes you happy I guess. For your friend, it was going back to the 135 route and it sounds like it was the right choice for him. Gotta wonder if he would have liked it more had he stuck it out a few more months and got the better QOL.

Just wanted to clear up that new hire FO's at eagle make more than 13,000 a year.

If you try it out, and hate it, hey, at least you can see the 121 experience and decide if its for you or not. But give it a fair shot.

Well I do appreciate the honest input, so thank you all for that...

I do have to say that some of the replies here have been humorous. Some of you think I just made the whole thing up, while others are upset at the fact the fact that I'm excited about my first job as an airline pilot. I'll clear these up first. I did have the interview, however I do admit to jumping the gun. I was approved by the captain's review board, however I have not completed the medical portion yet. I've done the extensive medical before so I'm also not extremely concerned about it. I can only assume that they want me to finish the medical before they give me answers to the questions I have.

I understand that a lot of pilots have reason to be bitter about their current situations, but do you guys honestly expect me not to be excited? Getting into the regionals is a tough task and getting past that barrier is worthy of celebration. It'll take many people years, or they will never even get there.

It sounds to me (and I've heard this from pilots already at eagle), like a good portion of the un-happy people are the commuters. I'm fortunate in that right now I am young and have nothing tying me down so commuting will not be so necessary; and a year based in the islands is actually appealing to me, since my family is originally from there. I'll be happy anywhere because the type of flying experience I will be getting cannot be beaten at this stage in my life.

To all those who felt the need to resort to name calling, I am sorry if I some how offended you. I am simply a pilot, who could be in training fairly soon, that wanted some advice as to how to get through training, IOE, and that first year.

Some of you did have some positive input and I thank you for showing me that this company isn't the worst place I could be. I still look forward to being at eagle. Rest assured that I have heavily considered everyone's advice (good and bad), and have planned and prepared myself accordingly. Thank you all again. I didn't expect or even want to hear sugar coated comments. I know that your honest comments will help me more than anything else.

Best of luck to you...........hope you got some $$$$ stashed away. The first "real" flying job, no matter how sh*tty, is always a big deal. Almost like soloing. Everyone here had the same feeling feeling of accomplishment when they got hired somewhere, its just that once they got to the "greener grass" on the other side of the fence, they realized, as will you, it is two shades from being brown.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back