Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any Regional Guys get a call from Delta yet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well that is not what I am hearing. I have heard that there are 305 for this year, and possibly 60 a month next year, and the next couple or few years after that maybe. If that is the case, then a lot of people will have a chance. It is worth it. And remember Jetblue and Airtran are hiring also, which will create movement at the regionals too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee, will you walk in my application? :D

asa's famous history making ace landed on a twy AND can't do a visual landing??? there ya go, she must need some specks :laugh:

Of course she will get hired, she is a woman. And a minority. Thats 2 birds in one stone. Delta can check off two boxes by hiring her. Who cares if she landed on a taxiway or cant fly a visual to save her life. Woman and a minority is the best combination you can have to work for a major. You men will have to wait your turns.

wasn't she 'sponsored' by Skip Barnette, delta, paid for her training and HOtel bills? :pimp::nuts:

Yep, seniority matters. Get hired first, go to a crappy base and then be senior to the guys that got atl etc while you commuted for six months.

It has been worth it to me.

January 10, 2001
Delta Sets Course for Increased Diversity
New program will train women and minority pilots, who then will be given priority employment consideration by Delta.
SocialFunds.com -- Delta Air Lines announced yesterday a new initiative to boost the number of women and minorities piloting the nation's aircraft. It has developed a joint program with Western Michigan University (WMU) that will train between 24 and 40 women and minority pilots over the next four years. Once the training is completed, the pilots will be given preference for employment by Delta Connection carriers Comair and Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA).

"This investment in quality pilot education will ensure that we are able to continue to build a superior Delta team and will establish Delta as a leader in the hiring of women and minority pilots for many years to come," said Mac Armstrong, Delta's executive vice president of operations.

The program is getting off the ground with $1.65 million in support from Delta. Participants will include qualified graduate and undergraduate students who will be trained using WMU's "ab initio," or "from the beginning," flight training curriculum.

In the past, airlines tapped the military to fill most of its pilot positions. A smaller military has meant a smaller pool of pilots, so airlines are looking for innovative ways to bring highly trained individuals into the commercial pilot ranks.

The ab initio curriculum is a European-style flight-training regimen that takes students with no previous flight experience through a complete program, preparing them for employment as first officers at commercial airlines. Currently WMU is the only institution in the world approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to provide ab initio training according to FAA regulations.

The first of eight graduate students recruited for the Delta program will begin a 14-month training course in May. In addition, four undergraduates will be recruited to begin WMU's four-year bachelor's degree program next fall. Delta and WMU will work together to recruit and screen candidates for both levels of training.

This diversity initiative by Delta is not coming out of the blue. Last June, two law firms filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC) alleging discriminatory employment practices at Delta. The complaint was filed on behalf of five African-American women who claim they witnessed systematic discrimination in compensation, promotions and performance evaluations.

The attorneys representing the plaintiffs previously gained notoriety as members of the legal team that sued Coca-Cola for discriminatory employment practices. Coke settled the suit late last year in a $192.5 million package that included compensation for the plaintiffs and third party verification of internal employment practices.

Delta, a company listed in the Domini 400 Social Index, seems to be taking the issue seriously. In August it announced the appointment of Belinda Stubblefield, an African-American, as Delta's first vice president of global diversity. Delta now seems to be moving forward with the initiation of the new pilot training program. The complaint alleging discrimination is still pending, as the EEOC has yet to make a ruling.

Workplace diversity and fair employment practices are important social investing issues. Social investors therefore may be interested in monitoring Delta's diversity commitment. Considering that only one percent of pilots and flight engineers are minorities and only five percent are women, Delta seems to have made a good start.
www.delta.com

Joe,

Stay above the fray ... if you want to get on with DL put your app in and hope your number comes up. To dig up a 2001 artical to try and rationalize why you haven't gotten a call yet is irrational. I would hope that you are better than that.

Joe,

Stay above the fray ... if you want to get on with DL put your app in and hope your number comes up. To dig up a 2001 artical to try and rationalize why you haven't gotten a call yet is irrational. I would hope that you are better than that.

I have never applied to Delta. I won't get a call because I don't want to work for Delta and I haven't applied. That being said, affirmative action is alive an well in this business, and affirmative action is reverse discrimination pure and simple.

It doesn't make any difference to me, but it is still wrong. Social engineering on the left is wrong....Sorry, but I like to call a spade a spade....

Just as who you know will get you in the door THEN what you know will keep you their. That isn't fair either yet is much more prevalent.

Just as who you know will get you in the door THEN what you know will keep you their. That isn't fair either yet is much more prevalent.

Is that right either?

That is equally stupid....For a group that proclaims "safety" is paramount...we sure don't support putting the best person in the seat regardless of who they know or what box they can check.....

If we really cared about "safety", we would support putting the best pilots in the cockpit, not who knows who, who is an intern, or who is a minority...

Latest resources

Back