Any problems with Bose QC2?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd like to help clear up a few items on the UFlyMike setup:

4. There is no "FO" version with the boom on the right. The jack which the UFlyMike plugs into is one the left earpiece. We've looked at trying to make an "FO' version, but there doesn't appear to be a reasonable solution.

UFlyMike LLC

Looks like this would be a great "left seat" upgrade present to one's self...

Two things I'd like to see in the UFlyMike. With the adapter plugged in the boom mike seems to sit a little low. If the adapter was thinner (shorter) it would line up much better. Secondly, and most importantly, I'd like to see a true swivel boom, not just a flexible boom.

Fix those two "design" enhancements and it would be better than the good it already is - it'd be GREAT.

Gup

Two things I'd like to see in the UFlyMike. With the adapter plugged in the boom mike seems to sit a little low. If the adapter was thinner (shorter) it would line up much better. Secondly, and most importantly, I'd like to see a true swivel boom, not just a flexible boom.

Fix those two "design" enhancements and it would be better than the good it already is - it'd be GREAT.

Gup

It's fine. Your ears are too low!:beer:

TSO is not a certification requirement, it just means that the item passed all of the FAA hurdles.

The QC2/UFlyMike setup goes completly dead if the battery dies. I have had mine for 6 months, and have only used two batteries. When it starts to go dead, as stated earlier, the red light starts to flash. I used mine for about another 6 hours with the flashing light before changing the battery.

Absolutely love this headset combo!!!

Not entirely true.

The earphones go dead if you let the battery die. However, the mike still works.

I'd like to help clear up a few items on the UFlyMike setup:

1. There is no FAA requirement for headsets to pass TSO standards. A pilot's personal headset is not part of the aircraft equipment. The TSOs (57 & 58) are published as guidelines for manufacturers. Air carriers may require a pilot to use a TSOd headset, but the FAA does not. We have six Feds, that we know of, that use our product doing line checks.

I beg to differ, if a "headset" is required as per the FARs, and the definition of a headset is described by a TSO standard, a TSO approved headset, by default must be used. Find references listed below(Highlighted in bold and blue for those that do not like to read):

121.359 Cockpit voice recorders.

(a) No certificate holder may operate a large turbine engine powered airplane or a large pressurized airplane with four reciprocating engines unless an approved cockpit voice recorder is installed in that airplane and is operated continuously from the start of the use of the checklist (before starting engines for the purpose of flight), to completion of the final checklist at the termination of the flight.

(b) [Reserved]

(c) The cockpit voice recorder required by paragraph (a) of this section must meet the following application standards:

(1) The requirements of part 25 of this chapter in affect on August 31, 1977.

(2) After September 1, 1980, each recorder container must—

(i) Be either bright orange or bright yellow;

(ii) Have reflective tape affixed to the external surface to facilitate its location under water; and

(iii) Have an approved underwater locating device on or adjacent to the container which is secured in such a manner that they are not likely to be separated during crash impact, unless the cockpit voice recorder, and the flight recorder required by §121.343, are installed adjacent to each other in such a manner that they are not likely to be separated during crash impact.

(d) No person may operate a multiengine, turbine-powered airplane having a passenger seat configuration of 10–19 seats unless it is equipped with an approved cockpit voice recorder that:

(1) Is installed in compliance with §23.1457(a) (1) and (2), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), and (g); §25.1457(a) (1) and (2), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), and (g) of this chapter, as applicable; and

(2) Is operated continuously from the use of the checklist before the flight to completion of the final checklist at the end of the flight.

(e) No person may operate a multiengine, turbine-powered airplane having a passenger seat configuration of 20 to 30 seats unless it is equipped with an approved cockpit voice recorder that—

(1) Is installed in compliance with §23.1457 or §25.1457 of this chapter, as applicable; and

(2) Is operated continuously from the use of the checklist before the flight to completion of the final checklist at the end of the flight.

(f) In complying with this section, an approved cockpit voice recorder having an erasure feature may be used, so that at any time during the operation of the recorder, information recorded more than 30 minutes earlier may be erased or otherwise obliterated.

(g) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level. No person may operate a large turbine engine powered airplane or a large pressurized airplane with four reciprocating engines manufactured after October 11, 1991, or on which a cockpit voice recorder has been installed after October 11, 1991, unless it is equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signal received by a boom or mask microphone in accordance with §25.1457(c)(5) of this chapter.

Inspectors can use whatever they want:

125.317 Inspector's credentials: Admission to pilots' compartment: Forward observer's seat.

(a) Whenever, in performing the duties of conducting an inspection, an FAA inspector presents an Aviation Safety Inspector credential, FAA Form 110A, to the pilot in command of an airplane operated by the certificate holder, the inspector must be given free and uninterrupted access to the pilot compartment of that airplane. However, this paragraph does not limit the emergency authority of the pilot in command to exclude any person from the pilot compartment in the interest of safety.

(b) A forward observer's seat on the flight deck, or forward passenger seat with headset or speaker, must be provided for use by the Administrator while conducting en route inspections. The suitability of the location of the seat and the headset or speaker for use in conducting en route inspections is determined by the Administrator.

TSO standard for headset:
TSO-C57a 1/31/83 Headsets and Speakers

Sec. 21.305 - Approval of materials, parts, processes, and appliances.

Whenever a material, part, process, or appliance is required to be approved under this chapter, it may be approved --

(a) Under a Parts Manufacturer Approval issued under §21.303;

(b) Under a Technical Standard Order issued by the Administrator. Advisory Circular 20-110 contains a list of Technical Standard Orders that may be used to obtain approval. Copies of the Advisory Circular may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Publication Section (M-443.1), Washington, D.C. 20590;

(c) In conjunction with type certification procedures for a product; or

(d) In any other manner approved by the Administrator.

2. You lose audio but not the mike if the battery goes dead in the headset. If you follow Bose' directions and not use rechargeable batteries, the low battery warning system gives ample warning that the battery is getting low. To me, getting surprised with a dead battery is like being surprised if the airplane runs out of gas...

3. The Bose cord will NOT work with the UFlyMike adapter because it has a 3-conductor plug on one end. The funky sounds you hear when you try to use it is from the plug shorting out the ground and music channels. There's nothing magic about the cord we sell to play your mp3 player through the UFlyMike adapter. It has a 2-conductor mini-stereo plug (3.5mm) on each end. Radioshack's version is cheap and worthless. Recommend the one like we sell or you can get at Walmart made by Belkin.

4. There is no "FO" version with the boom on the right. The jack which the UFlyMike plugs into is one the left earpiece. We've looked at trying to make an "FO' version, but there doesn't appear to be a reasonable solution.

5. There is no ANR "hiss" in the QC2 because Bose makes an incredible ANR circuit. It is by far the leader in the industry.

6. The UFlyMike will NOT fit any other headset than the QuietComfort 2. We looked at making one for the QC3 but don't feel the "3" would make a good aviation headset: 1) fits on the ears = uncomfortable for extended wear, 2) special battery & charger required, 3) spare battery = $50+

Hope that helps.

Mike
UFlyMike LLC

Latest resources

Back