• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any problems with Bose QC2?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I run my bose X without the anr on all of the time.

also, does the uflymike come with an FO version for the boom mike???

TSO is not a certification requirement, it just means that the item passed all of the FAA hurdles.

The QC2/UFlyMike setup goes completly dead if the battery dies. I have had mine for 6 months, and have only used two batteries. When it starts to go dead, as stated earlier, the red light starts to flash. I used mine for about another 6 hours with the flashing light before changing the battery.

Absolutely love this headset combo!!!

I brought this question up on the Fractionals version of the Bose QC2 thread, but figured I would get more input over here. I love the headset, but when I use an mp3 player with the Uflymike, it seems like a layer of the music is being filtered out. I usually just hear background music and no vocals and sometimes only drums and a bass guitar, etc. I was just wondering if this is intentional or a malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this??

Does anyone know if that uflymike adaptor works with similar models like the panasonic RPHC300 or the sharper image FJ451 (which don't die when the battery dies, kind of useful when you get a go around or cancel take off clearance instruction no?)
These two headphones seem to have the same 1/8 jack that the QC2 has.
Thanks

I run my bose X without the anr on all of the time.

also, does the uflymike come with an FO version for the boom mike???

I must be missing something? How do you do this other than to not turn on the switch and the associated red light? I suspect that my NC feature is not working period as I cannot detect an of the ususal NC humming sounds when the switch is on even though the red light is steady.

Thanks for all the input guys. My buddy just offered to sell me his Bose X headest for $500. I guess sporty's has a mp3 adpater you can use for $99. Do you think the QC2 is still the way to go?

Thanks!

I would snag the X. It's an amazing product, no doubt. If you go with the UFlyMike rig, I would strongly suggest finding a way to try before you buy, and to make sure it is set up properly. A captain that I live with claimed that his FO had the QC Bose and UFlyMike setup the other day, and the static that came on over the interphone anytime the FO tried to talk nearly made him want to jump out of the airplane.

I brought this question up on the Fractionals version of the Bose QC2 thread, but figured I would get more input over here. I love the headset, but when I use an mp3 player with the Uflymike, it seems like a layer of the music is being filtered out. I usually just hear background music and no vocals and sometimes only drums and a bass guitar, etc. I was just wondering if this is intentional or a malfunction. Has anyone else experienced this??

Kevin,
Uflymike sells a stereo cord that will solve that issue. I tried at first using my ipod cord that went into an external set of speakers and it did as you described. I then purchased Uflymike's stereo cord and it solved the problem (don't ask me why or how).
Later,
Snappahead

If you are going to get it, I would get it through Skymall, if you are an airline employee. The 20% discount brings the price down to $240. Better than the Crutchfield deal. I use it and the Uflymike and have had no problems. I like it for deadheading too because my Ipod plugs into it as well.

I called Skymall, they said that this was not a discounted item. :bawling:

UFlyMike Rumors & Facts

I'd like to help clear up a few items on the UFlyMike setup:

1. There is no FAA requirement for headsets to pass TSO standards. A pilot's personal headset is not part of the aircraft equipment. The TSOs (57 & 58) are published as guidelines for manufacturers. Air carriers may require a pilot to use a TSOd headset, but the FAA does not. We have six Feds, that we know of, that use our product doing line checks.

2. You lose audio but not the mike if the battery goes dead in the headset. If you follow Bose' directions and not use rechargeable batteries, the low battery warning system gives ample warning that the battery is getting low. To me, getting surprised with a dead battery is like being surprised if the airplane runs out of gas...

3. The Bose cord will NOT work with the UFlyMike adapter because it has a 3-conductor plug on one end. The funky sounds you hear when you try to use it is from the plug shorting out the ground and music channels. There's nothing magic about the cord we sell to play your mp3 player through the UFlyMike adapter. It has a 2-conductor mini-stereo plug (3.5mm) on each end. Radioshack's version is cheap and worthless. Recommend the one like we sell or you can get at Walmart made by Belkin.

4. There is no "FO" version with the boom on the right. The jack which the UFlyMike plugs into is one the left earpiece. We've looked at trying to make an "FO' version, but there doesn't appear to be a reasonable solution.

5. There is no ANR "hiss" in the QC2 because Bose makes an incredible ANR circuit. It is by far the leader in the industry.

6. The UFlyMike will NOT fit any other headset than the QuietComfort 2. We looked at making one for the QC3 but don't feel the "3" would make a good aviation headset: 1) fits on the ears = uncomfortable for extended wear, 2) special battery & charger required, 3) spare battery = $50+

Hope that helps.

Mike
UFlyMike LLC

I would love to try the UflyMike setup, but I'm a little concerned that when the battery dies, you lose all audio, not just the noise cancellation. That would not be fun at a critical time, and is probably the reason it'll never be TSO'd.

Can anyone address this? Will it still work when the battery dies, or do you just lose the noise cancellation feature?

I have had plenty of warning that the battery is running down: flashing light and then a few hours later, the audio will cutout breifly (0.5 - 1.0 second). If I was in the descent, I would change the battery immediately. I found that it takes about 15 seconds.

I have been getting about 2 weeks out of a single AAA. Thats a 2.5 hr commute and 4-5 day trips.

Latest resources

Back