Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any NTSB report out yet from the FEDEX/Narita crash?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't be surprised if the result is that the crew was knocked out by the initial impact/bounce, and as such the aircraft was basically not in control after that point.

A friend of mine at FedEx says they think the crew attempted an autoland with the crosswinds way exceeding limitations, as to the reason for the crash.

Oh good...pilot error. Now we can put this to bed.

Seriously, sorry for your loss and the families involved.

GP.

This was brought up shortly after the accident - it's on here somewhere. From the video it appears like the pilot flying over-reacted and forced the nose over - which seems unlikely at this level in the industry.

Evidently the MD-11 has some stability issues that were addressed in a software upgrade at some time in the past. I don't have any personal experience in the 11, that's just what they say. I bet the findings are along this line.

FedEx training has been in question for quite some time. Couple the unwritten military only policy, sleep cycles and the quirks that come with the MD-11 the sum total is a dangerous combination.

As somebody already pointed out, the NTSB is not the lead investigative agency in this accident and with the thoroughness of the Japanese I wouldn't expect a report in less than a year or more from the accident

A friend of mine at FedEx says they think the crew attempted an autoland with the crosswinds way exceeding limitations, as to the reason for the crash.

I beleive the wind was right down the runway, 50kts. I doubt they were using autoland. Im going to go ahead and assume that they were professional pilots until proved otherwise.

The investigation is an ICAO Annex 13 investigation with the Japanese Police doing the investigation. There are rules that they follow, the Canadians follow very similar rules. They basically only will give out the facts at the end of the investigation if I remember correctly. They do not give a "probable cause" or "recommendations" like the NTSB does. From what I know, do not expect a very good investigation. They promptly bulldozed the aircraft off the runway into a pile and re-paved the runway, in just a few hours.

Only ALPA has a standing position at ICAO. In addition, with the police doing the investigation, the criminalization of Air Line Pilots is a concern.

Representation required....

Latest resources

Back