• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh, oh...DC9's and C-containers on TV?
Penguin's right, we're DOOMED!

DHL's advertising again? I'm tempted to make cynical comments like,
"What are they, gluttons for punishment?" or
"What's the slogan, 'Service, we really mean it this time'!"
but I won't!

Seriously, I hope they've got things ironed out and they get a ton of customers. Growth fixes everything.

Two things...

That said, we gotta get past this idea that high inflation is a good thing with a COLA+X% contract.

High inflation is never a good thing for us. COLA helps us protect ourselves against it. As others have pointed out the real money for us is in the +X%.

COLA were negotiated out of most labor contracts after the double digit inflation of the early '80s. They were very expensive for the company, as they forced the company to pass along cost to the customer rather than make the workforce bear the brunt. That said, Hete's COLA +.5% with a 3% cap is not a joke, its an insult. Particularly since it doesn't include retro. This is actually a pay cut based on last years CPI.

We need to be sure the E-board doesn't cave in and agree to the ANA deal without getting the rest of the contract TA'ed.

For those of us who like the non-standard lines in the 767, our E-board and negotiating committee have written langauge reducing the total number of non-standard lines. The company wanted to increase them. While I'm certainly not in favor of giving management a free hand to write as many non-standard lines as they might wish I am opposed the reduction.

If our E-board brings back a TA with Hete's insult and the reduction in non-standard lines I'll be voting no.

Many folks like the 767 non-standard lines. A lot of the flying we do doesn't fit the scheduling rules that we designed for the "old days" (Airborne) of racetrack and home for the weekend. I fly those lines maybe 75% of the time. I have never flown with an F/O who was "forced" to fly one and was p***ed off to be there. I don't know the numbers to compare 12 day of work lines verses 36-hour layovers, but at first glance, it seems that if we make them conform to normal scheduling rules, it may require fewer lines.? They go very senior on the captain side, especially for vacation. Many commuters fly them. How many people were "forced" that is, they bid them last and that's all they could hold?? I'm suspicious of people who want to change this and really have never flown them.

Besides if the senior pilots like them, who do the rest of the pilot group think they are trying to change something that might benefit the whole group.

Besides if the senior pilots like them, who do the rest of the pilot group think they are trying to change something that might benefit the whole group.

The senior pilots in each seat will get first choice of whatever lines there are.
If someone wants to make sure the "senior" pilots don't get nice lines, they'll have to make them all bad. A few years ago we went through something similar, and the "stuff" rolled down hill as it always does. The senior people in each seat had to change their bid patterns, since what they normally would have bid wasn't available anymore. It didn't last long since other folks couldn't get weekends at home anymore. Everyone lost.

I certainly hear complaints about the non-standard lines. If they go senior then who's doing the complaining? I'm quite happy to "legitimize" the N/S lines in the main body of Article 13 as long as they are limited to the point that they do go reasonably senior. As a DC9 pilot, I have no idea what number of N/S lines would achieve that goal.

LJ--Who do you hear the complaints from? I have a hard time understanding why people who are not affected are so interested in doing away with or limiting these lines? I don't think it would sit too well if 767 people objected to DC9 racetracks, or the weekends in the DC9 were divided up.

I've heard complaints from 767 pilots. I didn't take a survey to rank their relative seniority.

I don't agree with those who want to see the N/S lines eliminated but I think that it's a good idea to limit them to a point where people who don't want them aren't stuck with them. I have no idea if that point is more, or less, than the number of N/S lines that you have now.

As a 767 FO I can assure you that some of these lines do indeed go to junior FO's who do not want them, generally because they are commuters.

Latest resources

Back