• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any former cargo pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airnet is nothing close to on demand freight. Nothing is. Until you have lived 24/7 with a 45 min wheels up call out you haven't flow freight.

I hear ya, Reliant had a 30 minute wheels up, 20 minutes show. A 20 minutes radius of MEM is like Mogadishu. first murder of the year was around the corner from my crashpad. I would'nt have been surprised to see a "Blackhawk Down" on my way to work after the fukkin pager went off.

Although the Falcon was a LOT more fun to fly and the freight didn't bitch. Still, I'm a lot better off now.

tj

Salty Pirate said:
I sit back and laugh at the guys bitching at ASA, mostly trust funders who went straight from training to a regional thinking they have now idea at all. You won't believe the stress that the pager causes until it is gone. Just to be able to got out to eat with my wife or cook dinner with out the threat of being interupted is priceless. I took about a 15-20k pay cut and wouldn't go back for any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I flew on demand freight but more glad that it is over. Oh and by the way Airnet is nothing close to on demand freight. Nothing is. Until you have lived 24/7 with a 45 min wheels up call out you haven't flow freight.

I couldnt agree with you more! I had the same 24/7 45 minute call and now that Im at ASA I cringe when I think about being oncall and how in the world I put up with it for the 4 months that I did. And then I hear these guys bitching at ASA and how its so bad. I guess any first job is going to be a let down because its not perfect, if only they knew how bad it could be...

I miss my freight job every day. Like others have said, just be careful when picking the company you are going to work at so you don't get violated, killed, ect. I would definately recommend getting some freight time before going to the regionals. Have some fun flying while you can.

Trogdor said:
I would definately recommend getting some freight time before going to the regionals.

I'm getting a lot of this kind of response, with the assumption that I'll end up with a regional at some point sooner or later. In that case, I'd rather get started on the seniority thing now. If I don't, I doubt I'll ever go to a regional in the future because I can't live on squat much longer with five mouths to feed.

So I guess the real question is whether to do the RJ thing at all, or get some PIC cargo time and then on to wherever that takes me. I can't imagine going back to $20k in the right seat at that point. I'd be more inclined to go for $40k in the right seat at NetJets or something like that by then.

How about Airnet vs. ACC? I've heard both are good companies to work for but pay is a consideration. Im doing allright now but dont want to take a big pay cut once I move on if I can avoid it. I could either stay and build up to my 135 mins and try for an airnet spot (30-40K/year), hopefully upgrade to a Lear F/O (more towards 50K I think) or apply to ACC and try and land an F/O spot (19-25K/year), take a pay cut but upgrade to CA relatively quickly (around 40-50K) in a twin turbine. I want QOL more than anything but pay is a priority if I can grab it. I dont expect anything grand but a decent wage would be nice. What would you do?

As a Lear FO at AirNet, I actually was on track to make LESS than I did on the props. Lear FO, your hourly wage in your second year will be $14.42. If you have a base pay run, you will make: $14.42 X 40/wk = $576.80 X 52wks = $29,993.60.

You'll have to get a pretty good rigging run or one with a Good 5th night in order to get in the $50K range. I know Lear captains there that are only in the 50K range a year now, and they have been with the company for 4-5yrs. First year pay is good at AirNet, but the upgrade and yearly raises are not as good as a regional. Consider yourself informed.

USC328

Yeah, I'd really be beating a path to AirNet's door if I could get into some kind of turbine before 2500 hrs. Seems like a damn good piston job, but I'm leaning toward whatever will get me some multi turbine PIC soonest as I've still got one eye on the long term benefits.

I used to work for Airnet as well, flew out of Birmingham. Hey Perv... what's up?! I left after a year because there is no growth at Airnet, and yeah the nights sucked after about 2 months... Anywhoo, I really do miss flying small high performance piston a/c... I'm at Expressjet now and loving it though, so I don't think i'll be going back if I can help it. I guess, just do it, enjoy it and move on...

Latest resources

Back