Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpatialD

Fed up
Okay, I know this is flamebait, but bear with me please.

I currently fly on-demand freight from the right seat, and I'm about to bust through the magic 1200 hour barrier. I'm just taking a last-minute look at all the options before my next move. What I know for sure is that I don't want to stay with my current company, and ultimately I'd like a job where my only major concern is flying the airplane (no loading, flight attending, toilet cleaning, wrench turning, etc.) But don't get me wrong, I'm not above doing some real work - as my current job demonstrates. Just daydreaming a little here.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go to a regional for what seem to be obvious reasons, but I'd like to hear from any former freight dogs who've made the switch - call it due diligence. What've you got to say about it now?

I wouldn't stay away from a good regional opportunity. All you have to do is fly, unless you get to an airline that has the 1900. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I did on demand frieght type stuff before going to a regional. Actually, I kinda of miss the good ol days flying FRB runs in the Moo 2. However, I made the switch and I'm ok with it, but I commute which is bad. If you don't have to commute, don't. If your single, move to your base.

Enjoy the frieght days. You will miss them.

I've said it before and I'll continue saying it. Freight flying is the best flying you will ever do. You will have a blast. I worked for AirNet, so I was with a very reputable company. Flew the Baron, Chieftan and Caravan all at the same time based out of CMH as a floater. Since I'm single, it was easy to live that life style and enjoy being in Miami one week and Boston the next. I went on to float on the Lear 35 out of CMH/LCK and APA in Denver. Left with an 8 on 6 off schedule, but the nights were wearing on me. Long term pay, believe it or not, is better at the regionals, but first year pay is kick *** at AirNet. I made $42000 first year flying a prop. However, I worked my butt off. Flew 5th nights (time and a half) collected lots of travel pay and per diem as a floater. Yet, I got to see ALOT of the country. Surprisingly, I had a great reputation with dispatch and they were all a great group of people. Alot of companies gripe about dispatch, but those guys at AirNet were great to hang out and work with. They even gave me my preferred airplane when I asked. The pilots at AirNet were like a fraternity. WE HAD A BLAST AT WORK. We would play basketball in the hanger in Columbus on layovers and have some pretty good poker games too. Since the pilot group does not exceed 250, most everyone knew everyone. Especially all the pilots that flew through CMH/LCK for the city meet.

IF you can find a gig like that, you will really enjoy yourself. I'm currently at SkyWest, but only been here for 3 months. Sitting reserve gets boring, but I look forward to holding a line in the future and meeting alot of the guys/gals in my domicile. Working during the day has been a blessing, but I will never regret my time at AirNet. If you can get hired there, DO IT. They are looking for pilots. Just tell Craig Washka that Purvis sent you. He and everyone in dispatch and most of the pilot group know who I am. Good luck!!

USC328

I enjoyed flying seaplanes more than flying freight in a Cessna 310, and I enjoyed the 310 flying more than my current job as a regional pilot. The 135 PIC time does make you a better pilot.

Flew single pilot IFR for 10 months. When I look back it was the most fun I've had as a pro. pilot.

I would recommend getting 500-1000 hours of PIC in somethng at least as hefty as a Chieftain before moving on to fly the RJ, or corporate. You'll be glad you did.

imacdog said:
I enjoyed flying seaplanes more than flying freight in a Cessna 310, and I enjoyed the 310 flying more than my current job as a regional pilot. The 135 PIC time does make you a better pilot.

Where did you get the float expereince if you don't mind me asking. Sorry to hear about your furlough.

From my experience flying freight, it can be a little more slip-shot than the regionals. I flew for a freight/check company and was glad to move on. 135 freight will absolutely make you a better pilot, but don't stay long enough to get violated for something the company is doing wrong. I know that there are some good freight companies, but not many at the level that your flying at. Make the move and be glad for the experience. Take care and good luck with your decision.

121 after 135 on demand is a joke.

I made the move after 3 years of on demand freight. For the last year and a half I have been at ASA and it has seemed like a vacation. I sit back and laugh at the guys bitching at ASA, mostly trust funders who went straight from training to a regional thinking they have now idea at all. You won't believe the stress that the pager causes until it is gone. Just to be able to got out to eat with my wife or cook dinner with out the threat of being interupted is priceless. I took about a 15-20k pay cut and wouldn't go back for any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I flew on demand freight but more glad that it is over. Oh and by the way Airnet is nothing close to on demand freight. Nothing is. Until you have lived 24/7 with a 45 min wheels up call out you haven't flow freight.

Salty Pirate said:
Oh and by the way Airnet is nothing close to on demand freight. Nothing is. Until you have lived 24/7 with a 45 min wheels up call out you haven't flow freight.

Yeah, I wish I worked at Airnet! In fact, they're pretty high on my list of potential next employers. I'm doing the whole 24/7 on a short leash thing, and I'm not ashamed to whine about it a little 'cause it sucks.

Thanks everyone for your replies - they've all been very helpful. This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm trying to factor into my decision. Please keep them coming.

Latest resources

Back