Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any corporate guys still flying analogs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Just curious folks -

I used to "seat sub" in a Citation II at Simuflite back in 1997. As I recall, there was absolutely no EFIS, it was all analog. Are there still flight crews flying these type of aircraft in the US, or has everyone transitioned to EFIS?

And if it is EFIS, is it mostly just 4-tube ADI/HSI, or all that fancy "moving map" Space Shuttle glass from left to right?

Sorry, my airline-archaic mind is quite behind the times. (7 years on the Md80, just now transitioning to757/767 and impressed with the 1980s cockpit - 4-tube EFIS with 2 tube EICAS. I am so lame.)

There are still plenty of analog rides still out there.

As far as the new stuff, even the new Bonanza and Barron's make the Space Shuttle look under equipped.

Most new production has all of your charts and maps in the MFD's, Uplink weather and terrain mapping.

Amazing indeed. "Uplink weather?" As in, you get the live radar that you can see on the Weather Channel?

Wow. So, do these birds still have WX radar? Because, why would you use it with live radar download?

I personally prefer analog gauges, it makes flying more fun (although ya work harder.)

We still use the radar because the uplink weather has a 5-10 minute lag in it. I personally do not use it for up close weather avoidance but for planning your moves down the road it is awesome. You can also pull up metars, tafs, sigmets and airmets. some have actual winds aloft as well.

It is great to pull up your taxi diagram on a 8 x 10 screen and see your gps position on the diagram as you taxi. It is even heading specific.

Go to the Colllins web site and check out the Proline 21 series of avioncs. It is awesome.

I wonder when (if?) this stuff will ever make it to the airlines.

You're gonna laugh, but the thing that impressed me the most on my 767 transition course? The green arc that tells you where the aircraft will level out on a descent (along with VNAV.) No more 3:1 calculations for crossing restrictions!!!!

I hope the technology catches up to the airlines some day.

The Collins web site is awesome, thanks!

We have RAAS (Runway Advisory) on a few of our Falcon 50ex's; for example, the French voice says, "Approaching runway 17L". Makes you wonder if ComAir had had this on board would they have had the KLEX accident?
God bless- rum

Last edited:
All the glass is great. Moving maps, wx uplink, HUD,
and all the gizmos...
Hey, I may be flying steam gauges tomorrow, who knows?.
Flyn' both, I'd rather the glass!

Copy that... I guess I'm an old fashioned pilot with an affection for LRDs (little round dials)... I'm still awed by all the glass and technology we're seeing in even the most basic GA aircraft.

When I started on the -80 in 2000, we still had about 100 aircraft (out of 260) that were all steam gauge and no GFMS, so it was VOR to VOR. (Otherwise known as UNAV :)

My brother used to call that "Vector" equipped!

Just remember not to put all of the info up on the screen until you get comfortable. It helps prevent information overload.

The Citation II I fly is still all-analog...the closest thing we have to glass in our cockpit is a Garmin 496 for XM weather.

Latest resources

Back