Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any airline pilots out there live on a boat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boats,

Mate,

"airline pilots live on boats?" YES ... scumbags like airline pilots live most anywhere they think they can shave a coin or two. I've seen em in boats, cars, pick-em-up trucks, motor-campers, their friends houses and the local freeway underpass.

The real problem is that living on a boat doesn't save much of anything. Probably costs much more than an apartment.

1) The boat you purchase, you will sell for less than you pay for it, plus all the costs that go into maintaining it in it's current condition. Most folks don't consider that a boat is simply disolving as each day goes by.

2) In California, if you can find one, a live-aboard slip is gonna cost you $750 to $1250 and all of that is "after tax".

3) Living on a boat is lots of fun, though. You get to get up extra early in the dark, damp morning to go up to the community toilet/bath facilities to do your "dailies". It's always fun to get to work in sodden, moist clothes.

I tried it myself, couldn't stand it.

TransMach

can't you smell that smell?

I had a friend who was a longshoreman in Long Beach Ca, and lived on a houseboat in San Pedro harbor. It was great to visit him, the lapping of the waves and the slight rocking of the boat was very peaceful.

But... it always smelled like mildew, the onboard water tasted bad, and the bay was often polluted and smelled rank as well..sort took the romance out of it.

I tried it myself, couldn't stand it.
Yup, different strokes for different folks, etc.

Part of the charm is going somewhere on days off.
As if ya live aboard an oceangoing boat, as opposed to a houseboat that is
permanently tied to the dock.

Just living in a floating box at an expensive marina gives ya all the negatives and none of the benefits of living afloat.

Been doing it for a few years and would do it again in a heartbeat.

It is a fairly basic, simple lifestyle, and being a fairly basic and simple person myself, I'd love to go back.

(No microwave, no TV/VCR, no nothing except a good book, a good boat and a good woman..:D )

Try it

CSY mon threw out a pretty nice beamy boat, the catalina 30. You can find them for 15,000 or so needing some tlc, but boats are like planes. Don't use 'em, you'll be fix'in 'em. I know of a 36 Columbia for around 10,000 in San Diego. Pretty good deal, but I live on my catalina 30 already. Insurance is about 100 clams a year and reg. is 10. I pay about 350 a month for a slip. Some marinas will add 100 more a month for liveaboard and require the boat be at least 35 feet. Let me know if you need more info. As how to get your boat to HI, .......um....... sail it?

I went on a captain's boat out of Waikiki last week. He said it took him 8 days to sail it from SoCal. He also said he'd never do it again:eek:

Airplane = A large hole in the sky, which the owner shovels money

Boat = A large hole in the water, which the owner shovels money

Is he a fisherman too?

From San Diego, unless it is a cat or tri, plan on an average of 21 days. There is a guy that flies for AA named Bob that has a boat out in Waikiki. I think it is more of a part time living gig for him. But much cheaper than a condo. Remember, more knick-knacks, the longer to "ready" the boat for sailing. And unless you make some nice cash, wind is free.... gas isn't. Sailboat. And if you are in Cali, Catalina or any little cove to anchor in is a great get away even in the winter. I think it is called harbornating....

Anyone have any good web sites with more info? The good, bad, and little known...

Yep, I used to and loved it (a 32' O'Day with an aft cabin, which I prefer). Keep in mind that once you get above 32 feet or so, the cabin space goes up exponentially. Last month I made an offer on a 37' C&C, but decided against it due to the 7' draft, which wasn't feasible for where I wanted to put the boat. But at 37' the cabin space was very, very large. A/C and refridgeration was a must for me, but you'll need to make up your own list of things you want. Start researching on the internet, starting with various hull materials, then engines, etc, etc, etc.

A word to the wise....purchasing a cheaper fixer-upper with the idea of fixing it up yourself is rarely a good idea. You will end up paying more for your finished product in the end. As previously mentioned, boats depreciate. Don't expect to make any money on this.

But if you like the lifestyle, it's the best. Also previously mentioned, make sure the wife/girlfriend doesn't hate it. Not all do ---- I'm one of those silly girls and I much prefer boats to white picket fences.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back