Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any airline pilots out there live on a boat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My buddy lives in a 28 foot sail boat off San Diego shores some where...he's pretty happy.. I mean **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** happy but he's young, single and dad is filthy rich ..lol......so if you have the resources go for it...if you'r like me with 2 kids, wife and 2 dogs forget it ...... :)

An fo I used to fly with at my last company(Comair) lives on a 54ft boat. He would move it between JAX,CHS and SAV. He seemed to love it. Keep in mind he was retired from the Marines, never married and had no kids.

I've kinda been kicking around the idea. I'm single and no kids also. I worked with a guy 6+ years ago that lived on a 28 or 32 foot sailboat in the Chesapeak just north of Pax River NAS. Thats about as far north as you can get on the east coast and still pull it off on a nonheated boat year around. The marina he was at had year around showers and good facilities.

Maybe if I wind up over at Aloah or Island or Carib Sun I'll look futher into it. How much would it cost for a 28-32 ft. boat? How would you get it to HI or PR? I sure as heck don't know how to sail.

California said:
was thinking about giving it a shot, anyone have some tips or comments on this?
thanks
A co-worker of mine lives on a boat down in Racine. We're 135, but we're scheduled and we do have 121 looming in the future.

This guy's last name rhymes with prozac and he has a thumbhole stock AK-47, which identifies him as a Pro-gun democrat. He believes that NFA owneship should be outlawed. Which along with wearing gold chains, slip on shoes and a mullet, further identifies him as a "pro-gun" Democrat. If this is you...or your lifestyle...I'd say go for it, but we're not supporting the gay marriage thing. You're on you're own there.

Aye mate.

Yes, I lived on a sailboat in the Caribe for 3 years while flying between them islands in Aztecs, Twotters and DC-3s.
Loved it....Would do it again, but different wife this time.

Therefore smaller boat and a house these days,
Now adays I sail the islands for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, but main quarters are indoors.

Hell of a good idea to live on a boat for a pilot...The only problem I had was ironing the uniform shirts..Had no AC power abord..Just 12 volt.
In CA however ya have more full time dry-cleaners that can press yer shirts than we had in STX 20 years ago,

Just do it before ya get married and before it is too late...Them womenfolk like the house, the white picket fence, the 2 car garage and all that. No boat.

"Just do it before ya get married and before it is too late...Them womenfolk like the house, the white picket fence, the 2 car garage and all that. No boat."

Brother from what I've seen in this industry WRT getting married there is no way I'm gonna do it. And no I'm not gay. I like my life simple and getting hitched, having a family and being an airline pilot doesn't mix.

Any idea on the price of boats???? Cost of a slip???

Well I currently live in an S10 blazer in the Springdale parking lot. It's cool though cause there's a Del Taco right down the street. When I upgrade to Captain I should be able to start saving up for a boat. Johnson or Evinrude? power or sails? Aaaaaahhhhhhhh........ the freedom of the water.....one day...one day!!

Any idea on the price of boats???? Cost of a slip???
Don't expect to get anything decent for less than $20K.
A small boat in good shape can easily cost $40K and up, say a late model Catalina 30.

Older, well maintained boats can be a bargain, but many a times previous owners did not spend the dough it takes for good solid care, then the boat deterioates even more, and is going down further in value, then less money is being spent on the boat, etc. A downward spiral.

Boats are expensive to keep and maintain...Let me repeat, boats are expensive to keep and maintain...Figure about 10% of the selling price in annual maintenance, that does not include repairs and upgrades, etc.

A liveaboard slip here in SE Florida is about $500.00 per month plus water and power. Non-liveabord $300.00 or so.

Don't know what the rates in CA are, but a couple of calls to the local marinas will sort that out

Latest resources

Back