Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any airline pilots out there live on a boat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't know about blow boats, but a power boat that would be big enough to live on and include a generator for AC power will set ya back about 60k to 140k for a later model used one. Later model is defined as 1985 to 2000 or so. This would get you somewhere in the neighborhood of a 33 to 36 foot convertable with diesel power. I would not try to live on one smaller than that. Most of this class of trawler or sport fisherman will net you all the comforts of home, minus the space. You could equate it to living in a equal size RV. If fishing is not a concern, the trawler would be roomier.

If you don't mind doing a ton of refurb work you can go much older and find some good deals for under 60k on a late 60's or 70's bertram or hatteras, but you will have to hunt a while to find them. And they will require work. As stated above, a blow boat can be had for much less, plus little to no fuel cost if you want to go somewhere.

I never lived on one, but do some 2 and 3 day fishing trips. Currently we are running a 31 foot walkaround with twin outboards and a generator, It has a crapper, shower, fridge, stove, microwave etc... it could be lived on but I would not recommend it! If it gets that tight, the boat goes before the house does. But on the plus side, we got it five years old and lightly used for less than the cost of a new Full size 4x4 truck. However when you consider that its new price ran around 100k and we got it for about 40% of that, it tells you how well a boat holds its value. The original owner took a 60% beating in 5 years. I can expect to take about a 10 to 20% beating if I were to sell it now (it is a popular type right now so it is holding its value, next year may be a different story). But I have a fishing habit, so I figure its cheaper than having a drug, or flight attendant habit in the long run!!!! At least the wife lets me go play with this one without calling the divorce lawyer :)
If you are not mechanically inclined, or have never spent time on the water, DO NOT attempt to live aboard, It will cost you a fortune in maint. from normal wear, and repairs from newbie mistakes. Operate a 19 to 23 footer that is trailerable for a few years to get a feel for it. Anything over about 27 feet and the maint doubles or triples.

P.S. If any of you ever get down to the Wilmington NC area PM me. Always looking for an excuse to go fishing. All I ask is that you pony up some cash to help split the cost of fuel and bait and give a hand in the cleanup when done. Also I come from a long line of semi redneck airline pilots!!!!! If you are the uptight type dont bother!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Standby 1 said:
Keep in mind that once you get above 32 feet or so, the cabin space goes up exponentially. Start researching on the internet, starting with various hull materials, then engines, etc, etc, etc.

A word to the wise....purchasing a cheaper fixer-upper with the idea of fixing it up yourself is rarely a good idea. You will end up paying more for your finished product in the end. As previously mentioned, boats depreciate. Don't expect to make any money on this.

But if you like the lifestyle, it's the best. Also previously mentioned, make sure the wife/girlfriend doesn't hate it. Not all do ---- I'm one of those silly girls and I much prefer boats to white picket fences.

Good luck!

So true with your first statement, as well as the price. And just to add to the second paragraph, Many people have had good intentions concerning the fixer-up thing. Yet in the end, it leaves a bad taste in their mouth.
As far as you being silly, I'd say that's my kinda girl.;)

Latest resources

Back