Answering the "Why do you want work here?" question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell us why you want to work for us.

"Well sir, for starters, I hear you don't ask too many questions. I like that. For another thing, nobody else is hiring right now. I really appreciate the fact that your company colors match my choices in clothes, and hey, decent insurance is nothing to sneeze at.

Probably the best reason I want to work for you is that I already interviewed with everybody else, and got turned down. I've heard on the internet that you guys hire just about anybody, so that's a real plus. I don't like to work too hard, and with your reputation, your standards have gotta be pretty low, so that's a good fit. You fly older equipment, so if anything happens to it while I'm flying, it's not that big a deal; probably just buff it out.

Anyway, I can stay home on reserve and drink, which I couldn't do at any of the legitimate companies. I heard you don't do a sim test, and that really attracted me to your outfit; I have microsoft sim at home, and I came here to get a job, not to play games.

Anybody got a light?"

avbug said:
Tell us why you want to work for us.

"Well sir, for starters, I hear you don't ask too many questions. I like that. For another thing, nobody else is hiring right now. I really appreciate the fact that your company colors match my choices in clothes, and hey, decent insurance is nothing to sneeze at.

Probably the best reason I want to work for you is that I already interviewed with everybody else, and got turned down. I've heard on the internet that you guys hire just about anybody, so that's a real plus. I don't like to work too hard, and with your reputation, your standards have gotta be pretty low, so that's a good fit. You fly older equipment, so if anything happens to it while I'm flying, it's not that big a deal; probably just buff it out.

Anyway, I can stay home on reserve and drink, which I couldn't do at any of the legitimate companies. I heard you don't do a sim test, and that really attracted me to your outfit; I have microsoft sim at home, and I came here to get a job, not to play games.

Anybody got a light?"

Nice job - that was fun to read!

Resume Writer said:
Do some research on the company. Then align their core values with your attributes. It shows you know something about the company, and that they are not just another "stopover" for you.

Agreed!

The company that I currently work for (Part 91 corprate) has 6 main core values that the company lives by. The company goes so far as to have all of the employees take classes on these values on a regular basis. When I interviewed, I had to give a 20 min. presentation about myself. I worked as many of the companies core values into my presentation as possible. The lady from H.R. liked that very much.

I was later told that I was the only candidate that did this and that it influenced the decision to hire me.

Draginass said:
Core values??? You're kidding right??? These CEOs give themselves huge amounts of money and bonuses and early retirements. They have "core values" alright. They figure how much "value" they can suck out of the company as quickly as they can before the company hits the skids.

That stuff is all PR pap. Business school crap to give the appearance of leading and fooling the gullible, while obscuring the real objective . . . . getting as much as they can as fast as they can.
While this is certainly true at a lot of companies, the person(s) who interview/hire you are not the CEO. So, while the CEO might not adhere to the "core values" the company publishes, the people in lower positions probably adhere to them. They want someone they will enjoy working with - in good and bad times.

That is why you WANT to do research. I am not just talking about looking at the company website, but coming onto boards like this to get the real skinny. If a company is consistently mentioned in a negative light, by several different people, it might be a good indication that you do not want to work there.

Everyone on this board is fortunate to have this resource, and the other aviation boards, to determine what the "real" company culture is like - and what kind of people they can expect to work with in the future.

Just my thoughts....

I would mention some "key" things about the company. Find these on Yahoo Finance etc. and work your personal goals in there as well. Imagine listening to 40 people a day answer this question and you can imagine what it's like to sit on the other side of the table. Eye contact during this phase is important as well. The key is apparent sincerity. Good Luck.

It's all a Kabuki Dance with employment with US companies. They pretend that they value the employess and that they want you to be happy working for the company. You pretend that you actually think the company has ethical values and that you prefer to work for them. The truth is they don't give a crap about you, and you'll dump the company for a better deal in a heartbeat.

This is the new value system in American business. Don't be fooled by all that HR baloney. Tell 'em what they want to hear, because they're doing the same thing.

Last edited:
It's all a Kabuki Dance with employment with US companies. They pretend that they value the employess and that they want you to be happy working for the company. You pretend that you actually think the company has ethical values and that you prefer to work for them. The truth is they don't give a crap about you, and you'll dump the company for a better deal in a heartbeat.

This is the new value system in American business. Don't be fooled by all that HR baloney. Tell 'em what they want to hear, because they're doing the same thing.

True Story! Your comments sum it up nicely.

What's your favorite Kool-aid flavor

I've often thought that airline recruitment and hiring more closely resembles the recruitment and initiation rites of a cult.

Good luck. Worship me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back