• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Answering the "Why do you want work here?" question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll tell you what NOT to say. A few years ago I was attending an interview at one regional after getting the runaround from another. They asked why I wanted to leave my current employer to start over at their place. I explained the bumpy ride from the previous two years and said "I'd like to work at a company that has more respect for their employees". The HR guy and pilot guy looked at each other, we switched to a few BS technical questions and the interview was over 5 minutes later. The letter arrived a week later. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's probably better in the long run.

Draginass said:
It's all a Kabuki Dance with employment with US companies. They pretend that they value the employess and that they want you to be happy working for the company. You pretend that you actually think the company has ethical values and that you prefer to work for them. The truth is they don't give a crap about you, and you'll dump the company for a better deal in a heartbeat.

This is the new value system in American business. Don't be fooled by all that HR baloney. Tell 'em what they want to hear, because they're doing the same thing.

The only interviews I excelled at were the ones where HR involvement was kept to a minimum and management pilots were involved. HR people are nothing more than a bunch of Liberal Art majors trying to make themselves look more important than they really are. Sorry way to make a living if you ask me.

PHXFLYR:cool:

PHXFLYR said:
The only interviews I excelled at were the ones where HR involvement was kept to a minimum and management pilots were involved. HR people are nothing more than a bunch of Liberal Art majors trying to make themselves look more important than they really are. Sorry way to make a living if you ask me. PHXFLYR:cool:

PHX - you kill me! BTW, I was not a Liberal Arts major! :D

Here's a question. . .

Funny this comes up, but I had a genuine mach interview over my short holiday vacation. What this particular interviewer said was that you should respond by being eager to join the company and FLY for them. They don't care where you are from and that you are the youngest of eight kids and want to live close to them. Tell 'em(as hard as it may be at some regionals) that the bases and equipment are what you are looking for.

My question however is this. . . How do you answer a negative question about yourself, like, what is your worst quality? What are your weaknesses?

He mentioned that I need to practice answering those "negative" questions with positive answers. It's tough to do, because of course I answered with a negative character trait, and he didn't like it.

Resume Writer said:
PHX - you kill me! BTW, I was not a Liberal Arts major! :D

What makes you think I was talking about you? I was just thinking about all the esoteric BS I went through in past interviews when I posted that.
SHEEESH.......what an ego!!:rolleyes:

Happy/Merry yada...yada...whatever. Oh,and by the way,what happened to the picture of the "kid"?

Last edited:
PHX, I hope you know I was messing with you! :)

I had to start "branding" - hence the "no more pictures" of the baby.

Resume Writer said:
PHX, I hope you know I was messing with you! :)

I had to start "branding" - hence the "no more pictures" of the baby.

I know,kiddo... and I hope you know I was just "bustin' 'em" on you ,too. ;) But I stand by the HR part. Totally stupid questions asked,no true corect response per se to many of them, by a bunch of people who have NO (zip,zero,nada bupcus) idea of what we do,how we do it or how damn hard it is to just to get to the point where you are competitive candidate for an interview in the first place. Ain't ever goona put myself thru that nonsense again. Anyway," Happy Festivus." Seeing that you ain't gonna post anymore pictures of "The Kid",you're just gonna have to give her a hug for me and tell her PHXFLYR says "hey"!:)

One of my friends once interviewed at CoEx (now XJT), many years ago. When asked "what is the worst thing you've heard about CoEx", he answered; "Well, one of my friends who flies here told me the worst thing is having to fly with captains who paid for their own training."

When I finally stopped laughing as he told me the tale, I asked: "****, why did you fly all the way across the country just to piss them off?" His answer: "Well, they asked the question..."

Needless to say, he didn't get a job offer. Good thing too, 'cause he now flies for a major cargo carrier.

C

Speaking of mission statements...

If their mission ain't to make money, then they're blowing smoke up your ass :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back