• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANR Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody use the Telex ANR500's in an RJ?? Im very close to purchasing a pair and would like any warnings/advice you may have to offer. Thanks in advance...

13.4S

Just installed the upgrade kit from Oregon Aero for my 13.4s and it seems to make a huge difference in both noise attenuation and comfort. Entire kit is about $100 and not hard to install yourself; consists of the head pad, foam filling for earcups (hushkit), soft seal ("memory" foam) earseals and the mic muff. Thus far the best headset I have worn, though that is admittedly a short list...

www.oregonaero.com

I have several friends who have the Bose as well as other ANR headsets. The Bose felt comfortable for me at first but then the small ear cups would start hurting my hears. The sound of the microphone isn't very good and the construction is poor. Three of them have been sent back for repairs. The lightspeeds are good but a bit bulky. They had some quality issues early on but, I think they've solved them. Noise Cancellation Inc. makes a really nice set for about $400. NCI also makes an uprade for your headset for about $170. I've done the upgrade to two of my headsets and love them. Afriend also did the upgrade to his DCs and also swears by it. If you like the way you're fits I would reccomend the upgrade instead of trying something that you might not like after three or four hundred hours, or less. A headset that is comfortable for one person may be terrible for another. Save your money. Spend it wisely.

The Bose felt comfortable for me at first but then the small ear cups would start hurting my hears. The sound of the microphone isn't very good and the construction is poor. Three of them have been sent back for repairs.

I have heard that some people don't like the mic. I've had not problems with mine, and ATC has never had a problem. I think the sidetone might just be quieter than most headsets. Unless your ears don't fit in the cups, I find it hard to beleive that those ear cups could hurt anybody. The seals are heaven on your face and the headset does not "clamp" at all. And the construction is probably one of the best out there in any headset, ANR or not. The only potential construction flaw that I could think of would be the plastic earcup yokes. They are built well, and are not a part that gets stressed under normal wear, but if you stepped on the headset or something, they may break.

Again, lightspeed is a decent headset, but the plastic headband needs to go. I will pretty much guarantee that thing will break eventually if you wear that set daily.

The Flightcom Denali's are great. Light, confortable and durable. I've had them for about 2 years and have never had a problem.

Telex ANR 1D

I'll second Sonic Cruzer's opinion. I've been using the Telex ANR 1D's for over three years now. The digital ANR is exceptional. I've had the chance to try many other headsets I feel they are superior to even the BOSE. For some reason, Telex did very little advertising on this model. www.spinnerspilotshop.com has a good price on them.

The Bose hurt my ear area but did not give me that clamping feeling. I'm going to stick with my poor quality feeling of the Bose. On two sets the headpads fell off. Bose has since redesigned the headpad. On one set something rattles in the ear cup. On another set the speaker just died. This is out of a sample group of six Bose Xs over two years.

Consider the Sennheiser HMC-300, we use them in the Pitts and they are excellent. Overall they are pretty comfortable and cut down the noise alot. They are made to you can use the same headset with both panel power (for the few that own their own aircraft) and battery power, without changing the cord.

Comparing it the Bose and the Lightspeeds, I found that they are as quiet as the Bose and even quieter than the Lightspeed 15XL.

It costs $700, but you can find it for under $500 at Marv Golden. So for half the cost you have a headset that is as good as the Bose.

Too bad for me all I can afford are my Avcomm.

Telex's NEW 50-D Status seems pretty cool, anyone have them yet?

Passive reduction, Analog ANR and Digital ANR for about 50db reduction, I believe the BOSE X is only 39db reduction.

Batteries are supposed to last longer too.

I have had the bose series X for about four months now. I use them flying the be1900D on the line about 85 hours per month, at 6 hours per day.

THE PROS:
Absolutely the quietest, most comfortable headset out there. I have used the Denali, and the lightspeed QFR cross country in my search for the best headset. There is not a published NRR rating on the bose, but the QFR is about 45 dB and the bose is at least that. Bose is only 11.5 oz, among the lightest headsets out there, except for the QFR. The bose headband is hinged at the top, in the middle and it works great for comfort. Its almost like wearing a set of walkman headphones. After a 6 or even 8 hour day, when I drive home in my ealge talon, (a pretty quiet car) I think , **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**! this car is loud! I can hear the relay for the a/c compressor click under the dash going down the road!

CONS:
the price! at 995$ is by far the most expensive headset out there! I bought mine in a retail store in St Augustine FL, and applied for the bose credit card. 12 months no interest no payment. Lack of auto shutoff feature. Battery life. 9v alkaline battery lasts 25 hours (it depends on how loud the airplane is, and how much the headset 'works"). I rotate out three 9v Li-ion rechargeables and get about 10 hours per charge. Lack of passive noise reduction. if the battery goes out inflight it is just as loud as no headset at all. The mic has to be right almost in your mouth to speak.

THE VERDICT:
I would have bought the QFR cross-country except the thing hurt my head. QFR offers no gel ear seals and it squeezes my head. plus it felt flimsy and cheap. but the noise reduction is about the same, QFR also has very good passive reduction. At about 285$ its a good value. I wouldnt give up my bose headset for anything out there on the market today. they have a 30 day evaluation and if youy try it you'll be sold. I was.

Latest resources

Back