• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another SWA Logbook Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Er, rest of the story? I guess the rest of the story is I think the color is ugly. I do agree with you; it's better that the dookie brown and red, but blue and red? Anyway, your bottom line says it all. I don't really care what color they are...as long as they pay the same!

Cheers!

ps...no bad taste in my mouth

"Rest of the Story"? As in ..."now you know the Rest of the Story." - Paul Harvey - radio dude?

I'm curious how SWA came up with the original paint scheme - could not have been the esthetics - must have been a friend of Herb's that couldn't get rid of 500,000 gals of baby pooh colored paint - or some such scenario.

Anybody out there know - the "Rest of the Story"?

Just curious - and obviously bored.

I heard that they wanted em unpainted but Boeing wouldn't do it so they asked for the cheapest paint ...

uh, yeah dude, I got the Paul Harvey reference...."and now, page two."

Re: ivauir's explaination...that I would would believe!

Now where's my Citracal.......?

Logbook checker?

What is a logbook checker? What is a logbook checker doing? Is there anything in a logbook that pisses off a logbook checker? Is this logbook checking an adversarial event?

Is this logbook checking an adversarial event?

Not at SWA.
They are just checking that you are who and what you say you are. If you lie on your application about your experience then I guess it would be an adversarial event.

Think of it this way - you put a number down on an applicaiton - say 1252 hours of ME turbine PIC. Where did that number come from? If you make it obvious - 550 hours at company x amd 702 hours at company y - here are the log books .... there will be no more questions and you can talk about sports or aiplanes or ....

I used to type my entries into my logbook, but I went through a lot of typewriters that way. The books are too thick. So I switched to doing my logbooks in old-english calligraphy.

Seriously, when I interviewed at SWA the logbook checkers were very reasonable with everyone. We had a guy who didn't have printouts of his computerized version because his printer had cr@pped out on him the night before leaving for the interview. So he brought his laptop to the interview to present to the checkers. Their response was basically, "No problem, but we need to have a hard copy for the record. Let's try to hook your laptop up to one of our printers and see if that does the trick." Sure enough they did, and I don't imagine they admonished the guy over the issue.

When they looked at my old-english calligraphy logbooks they approached me about being off about 175 hours from my application paperwork. I explained that is was glider time (sure enough if you look in my glider column, it reads 175 total hours.) They were happy with that and we moved on.

Moral: The folks in DAL are not going to get their shorts in a wad over minute issues. Just present them with logs that are as accurate as possible, and be able to explain any variances/oddities.

Thread 'Morphing'

Since this thread has morph'd into a discussion on the physical appearance of the airplane.....

I have a question: Is there any significance of the "LUV" and red heart on the side of the forward fuselage (other than "LUV' being the stock ID)?

One of my FO's had the nerve to tell me that SWA had the distinct honor of having both the ugliest and the second ugliest paint jobs in the industry. So I said, "Do you know where the gear handle is?" Just kidding...

Sorry it took so long for me to post ..been pretty busy..

The letter that you will be getting to be invited to the interview will state..

"We would also like for you to bring your Flight Logbooks,fully tabulated by page.If your logbooks are not available,we ask you bring other records of documented flight time.Flight History Report(Air Force Form 5) is required for the time accured by Air Force personnel.."

Lets look at this from the log book checkers viewpoint..

The instructions in the letter...Yeah..thats right..RTFI!..state "fully tabulated by page"..

Some poor guy gets to look at 40 sets of log books a day and all hes trying to do is verify your general flying history and if you are really close to some of the mins whether or not you might be fudging some numbers..

One of the things that they pay very close attention to is how much effort you put into making the process easier for them..If you cant follow directions and show up with a mess of a log book then it may not go as well as you would like..

So..When you filled out the apps you more or less painted a picture of your flying history for them..What the log checker is doing is seeing if the picture you created agrees with what is in your logs..

What i was told to do by someone in the know was create an index of all of your key events in your flying history..Also list all of the minimums required for the hiring process..Then go thru your logs and tab those pages with colored stickums and number each one in relation to your index..

Kinkos had a really nice colored stickum kit for 3.00 and i made up the index on my computer..I listed and tabbed the following..

Private check ride..
First part 135 check ride..
ATP check ride..
First 1000 PIC multi..
2500 total time..
First jet time/training..
All jet type rating check rides..
All 135 jet check rides..
1000 PIC jet..
All changes in employment listed on the application..

The checker has a form he/she uses to check off what they are looking for..At the bottom is a area for notes or comments.My checker wrote "great job..its obvious that alot of effort was put into his logs"..He went on to say that he wished ALL logs showed up looking this good and he really appreaciated how much effort i put into them....

I later had the pleasure of flying with the guy that checked my logs..He didnt remember my name right away..but..he remembered my logs and knew who i was..

Oh..My log check?
My log book check took all of three minutes..

Mike

Latest resources

Back