Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Av8tor X

Situation:

From 1997 through 2001, my original master logbook has all of the Numerical TOTALS at the bottom of the pages written in Pencil. Please note that all flight entries are written in INK. Since 2001, I have not completed any numerical page totals-so I have the option of switching back to writing the totals in Ink if the totals should be in ink.

Question:

Would SWA feel that writing the numerical totals at the bottom of each logbook page in pencil inappropriate?

I really don't think this will be an issue - this is SWA you're talking about. There was a guy I interviewed with whose logbooks were destryed about ten years ago - just present what you do have in the most logical way.

BTW I have log totals that are in pencil too - it is the way I was taught to do it and no one has ever questioned it - including SWA. But that may be because the log checker never looked at MY record - he looked at the computer printout from my previous employer. Of course I still recommend bringing every record you have. But realise there is a pretty good chance they don't care about your first solo etc. What they will check is your quality time. And they'll do it in the easiest way possible: I recommend you provide some kind of cover sheet that totals everything very neatly. Make it easy to look at that SWA paperwork and understand where the numbers came from. Put yourself in the log checker's shoes - and make their job easy.

Good luck

Last edited:
AV8tor X,

I had serveral logbooks, the first one as a student and private was in red ink, black ink, blue ink, and white out. After a while I decided to begin a new logbook and carry the previous totals forward, then I lost that logbook and started a new one with estimated totals. Then I found the logbook several years later and made corrections to my estimates. Then once that mess was sorted out I started a large professional size logbook, only used black ink, no white out, and like you totals at the bottom entered in pencil. It is no problem at all.

What I did do was type up a letter showing in chronilogical order the events that I just described, that way whomever looks over my logbook already has the explanation for my sloppiness right in front of them.

Hope this helps

Logbook checker (LC) to me when I was interviewing in 2000:

LC: You wrote your time in crayon?

Me: Yessir.

LC: Blue crayon?????

Me: Yessir, Canyon Blue.

LC: I see. Oh. Oh I gotcha(smiling) Next!

My whole logbook is in crayon, big bold print with lots of pretty colors. Is this ok for SWA and the logbook checkers?

lowlycfi said:
So you're the reason we have that goofy blue color now!

"Goofy Blue Color" ??? No accounting for taste! - Unless of course it's in your mouth! ;)

Personally I think the new colors are a vast improvement over the original "Baby pooh" colors. Where did they get that color scheme anyway? I'd LUV to hear the "Rest of the Story" on that point!

Just having fun here, I don't care what color they paint 'em - I'll fly 'em!

:D

Latest resources

Back