Another Serious Question: NJA or CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
whymeworry? said:
Making a decision on whether to go to CAL based on merger speculation is, quite frankly, a bit ridiculous. If I had a nickel for all the merger rumors and "facts" over the years I'd be a rich man. I know what the CAL CFO said about a UAL merger... and if you read too far into it you will believe there is indeed a merger coming. The reality is EVERY AIRLINE is just as exposed to a merger. CAL will only merge IF and WHEN industry consolidation take place. Can you honestly say NJA will NEVER face consolidation? Every industry and every company will eventually face consolidation.

In the meantime, CAL will add 50% growth over the next 10 years PLUS 1500 pilot retirements. I can't think of a better place to be than a legacy that has assured retirements AND expected growth.

Your decision to go to CAL, or not, should be based on your affinity for the NJA job and lifestyle. Corporate can be just as rewarding as airline flying if on the right equipment. If you believe your future will continue to be rewarding at NJA, and your job will be secure, then you have a lot to contemplate. But I certainly would not base my decision on merger/ age 60 speculation.... because it's just that: SPECULATION.

If mainline industry consolidation happens, then all airline pilots will face havoc. Just the same, the fractionals, and even the cargo carriers, could face the same fate (consolidation) at some point in the next 30 years. Nothing is assured in this business.

Excellent post I concur 100%. What many don't realize is how much harder the fractional guys work as compared to us airline guys. My close friend just came to CAL from a major fractional, from what he says flying for CAL is so much easier than his previous job. He says there is no way he could have continued to fly for them for twenty years. CAL is my last flying job. If this job goes tango uniform no way I'm going to a fractional. I love flying but not enough to bust my butt like they do. I guess after almost twenty years flying for a major honestly I'm just too spoiled. Some guys love the fractionals and that's great for them, airline flying isn't for everyone. There certainly are downsides no doubt.

Last edited:
CAL EWR B737 said:
Excellent post I concur 100%. What many don't realize is how much harder the fractional guys work as compared to us airline guys. My close friend just came to CAL from a major fractional, from what he says flying for CAL is so much easier than his previous job. He says there is no way he could have continued to fly for them for twenty years. CAL is my last flying job. If this job goes tango uniform no way I'm going to a fractional. I love flying but not enough to bust my butt like they do. I guess after almost twenty years flying for a major honestly I'm just too spoiled. Some guys love the fractionals and that's great for them, airline flying isn't for everyone. There certainly are downsides no doubt.

The pace is what you make it here. If you like to run around and look like a clown with your ass on fire then so be it.

Me, I move at a medium pace. One speed in my transmission; safe.

The way I see it, I have no benefit of terminals to keep me warm but then again, I don't have to eat airport terminal food either.

"Hi NetJets. Yeah, I'd like one of those Greek platters from Rudy's catered to TEB. Ok, thanks."

FLYLOW22 said:
The pace is what you make it here. If you like to run around and look like a clown with your ass on fire then so be it.

Please explain what your quote above means? Sounds like crew meals are a very important part of your quality of life at work, whatever floats your boat. My opinion is just that no need to take shoots at others who express their opinion and it differs from yours. Look I've never flown a day of fractional in my life all I have to go on is a close personal friend that has done both and I respect his opinion.

FLYLOW22 said:
Where can you turn 1 week of vacation into 3 as a junior F/O? NetJets.

That my friend, is awesome.

I am in my 6th year at Delta, and just had my vacation this month. It consisted of a whopping 5 days off; 3 of which were X days (regular scheduled days off for a reserve pilot) that I couldn't move to extend my generous vacation.

I am filling out my NJA app right now.

CAL EWR B737 said:
Please explain what your quote above means? Sounds like crew meals are a very important part of your quality of life at work, whatever floats your boat. My opinion is just that no need to take shoots at others who express their opinion and it differs from yours. Look I've never flown a day of fractional in my life all I have to go on is a close personal friend that has done both and I respect his opinion.

I do apologize for the way I communicated in the above. It was humor. Not all former military guys get humor unless it's about shooting bogeys off the port bow. :p

Anyway... what I was refering to in my original communique was the fact that the "pace" at which a frax pilot operates is directly proportional to the amount of work that ends up going down of his duty summary for the day. If a pilot works too fast at a pace not consistent with running a marathon at a medium pace, they are likely to tire, make mistakes or otherwise hang their but out to get violated. I take things in moderation.

No promises, no ETAs. When we takeoff, we are airborne and when we arrive, we arrive.

I bet you can read 10 accident investigations and somewhere there is the mention of "it was a long day" or "we were running late" or some other statement of similarity.

And yes... Sleeping in a 4 star hotel and eating what I want to order from a salad to BBQ to mexican at the intervals I choose and not what the schedule allows for are two very important issue for me.

Archie Bunker said:
Ty,

Maybe I just don't understand how it works at NJA. Are you telling me that you're on call 30 days a month at NJA? I thought they had a 7 on, 7 off schedule? Even if they are standing reserve on a day by day basis, they are doing it from their hometown.

WHat I mean is that although they have a schedule (Days on/ Days off) on the days that they are "On" it is like airline ready reserve- they don't know when the flying will start or stop, or where they will end up . . . . deadhead, reposition, standby at the airport . . . . anything and everything.

I'm not knocking it, some people probably like that, but for me, I like to know when each day will start, when it will end, and where I will be knocking back a few frosty ones and having dinner.

My othe rpoint was that reserve is tolerable at an airline because eventually you will get off reserve and onto a hard line . . . at a fractional, there is no "hard line" to "get to".

On the plus side, you will definitely go to a wide variety of places, and meet a completely different group of people than you would "flying the line". I enjoyed both types of flying, but I like to know what my week will consist of before I show up. If I don't like it, I can likely change it by creative bidding . . . not so at a fractional.

Anyway, whatever you decide, best of luck.

Ty--Not all people get off reserve in a timely manner. Just ask those on the bottom at stagnant legacys. I did two years on reserve at AA prior to my furlough. I was making 40% more than I make now and there's NFW I'd go back to that.

You are lucky that you are at a growing airline. There is no guarantee that will continue anywhere. If CAL hits a bump in the road, the newbies could be stranded on the bottom, on reserve in EWR for a long, long time. It's happened repeatedly in the airline business. You get sold "captain in 5 years--just look at the retirements!" in the interview and the economy tanks and you are screwed.

7/7 is not like being on reserve. It is like having a week of work, followed by a week off. It's no different than leaving for a trip with the airlines. When you are on a trip, you work. When you are home, you don't work.

The medical and points for vacation give you a several-thousand dollar per year raise over the airlines. I'll take points over passes any day. JMO.TC

AA717driver said:
Ty--Not all people get off reserve in a timely manner. Just ask those on the bottom at stagnant legacys.

Agreed, but, to me, flying for a frac would be like always flying a reserve line. The only thing you know is what day you start, and what day you stop. No idea when each day will start, where you will be going, how many respositionings, length of the legs, flight times, "sit" times, etc. All you know is what the maximums allowed by law or the contract.

You are lucky that you are at a growing airline. There is no guarantee that will continue anywhere. If CAL hits a bump in the road, the newbies could be stranded on the bottom, on reserve in EWR for a long, long time. It's happened repeatedly in the airline business. You get sold "captain in 5 years--just look at the retirements!" in the interview and the economy tanks and you are screwed.

No argument from me.

7/7 is not like being on reserve. It is like having a week of work, followed by a week off. It's no different than leaving for a trip with the airlines. When you are on a trip, you work. When you are home, you don't work.

I am not saying 7/7 is like being on reserve, I am saying that Frac flying, as I undestand it, is like flying on resereve. You only know what day and time you start the week, and the day and time you will end the week, and everything in between, within the limits of the contract, is fair game. "Depart TEB at 0615 for DCA with 4 pax, lead pax name is ____, When you get to DCA, give us a call, we may have something coming out of there ". . . . get to DCA and call . . . ."Nothing yet, but stand by at the airport, we'll get back to you". AFter three hours, finally, a call, "Reposition to HPN and depart at 1400 with 6 pax to LIT, when you get there give us a call". "Depart LIT reposition to HOU, RON, you have a 0700 departure in the morning to ELP".

OK, so now I finally know when the pain will end, where I will be sleeping, and how much longer before I am back at it again. . . . Sounds like reserve to me. Compare that with seeing that actual "pairing" in a line:

Day 1

Report 0530

TEB-DCA 0615 0712 Block 0058 Credit 0058
DCA-HPN 1012 1102 Block 0050 Credit 0050 DHD
HPN- LIT 1400 1610 Block 0210 Credit 0210
LIT -HOU 1700-1749 Block 0049 Credit 0049 DHD

Total Block 0447 Total Duty 1234 Rest 1211

You could look at that thing and say "Yuck . . . 4 legs with almost 6 hours ground time and overnight in ELP" and hopefully drop it or trade it, or fly it. To me, that makes a big difference . . . . maybe not to everyone.

The medical and points for vacation give you a several-thousand dollar per year raise over the airlines. I'll take points over passes any day. JMO.TC

Agreed.

The point I was trying to make is simply that there is a big difference between frac flying and line flying . . . and that for some, that is a big consideration in determining QOL.

Last edited:
Ty--I guess I spent too much time at AA where you start your trip and never know where scheduling will send you during the days you are out. Take care.TC

Latest resources

Back