• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another reporter "gets it"!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This article is fantastic. I think our respective unions should band together and begin a public relations campaign along these lines. The pros and cons of such a campaign were discussed a couple of months ago on this thread: http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=73047.

BTW, the guys bashing Air Force pilots haven't a clue. A willingness to fly off the handle on the civ vs mil thing at the drop of a hat kind of self-identifies you as one of the second-stringers mentioned in the article.

radarlove said:
What, you guys think that he was correct in telling the reporter that "almost all of the best pilots hired on at Delta?"

There weren't any other airlines hiring good pilots? Not one? In the 80s and 90s?

My comment had nothing to do with this guy's military background it came from the hubris of a 1,500 hour pilot (who doesn't know everything, even though he apparently thinks he does) explaining why he's so much better than everybody else.

When I was hired at American Airlines I was told I would be flying with the best pilots in the industry.

When I was hired by Delta Airlines I was told I would be flying with the best pilots in the industry.

They all say they are the best. Lighten up Francis.

And I can say with 100% accuracy that both airlines have a few morons piloting their aircraft.

Futhermore if you will read the article a little more carefully you will see that the article stated that he required 1500 hours of flight time just to get an interview with Delta. They are stating the minumums not what this guy was hired with. Even though with him being a fighter pilot it might be somewhat close to the truth. Everyone knows fighter pilots are the best pilots out there. Thats what they have always told me. :rolleyes:

Dangerkitty said:
When I was hired at American Airlines I was told I would be flying with the best pilots in the industry.

When I was hired by Delta Airlines I was told I would be flying with the best pilots in the industry.

They all say they are the best. Lighten up Francis.

And I can say with 100% accuracy that both airlines have a few morons piloting their aircraft.

Futhermore if you will read the article a little more carefully you will see that the article stated that he required 1500 hours of flight time just to get an interview with Delta. They are stating the minumums not what this guy was hired with. Even though with him being a fighter pilot it might be somewhat close to the truth. Everyone knows fighter pilots are the best pilots out there. Thats what they have always told me. :rolleyes:

hey wait a minute..when i hired at Fedex they told me i would be flying with the best pilots in the world!

as far as mil vs. civ....who cares? i wanted to go mil but my eyes were 20/30...so i went civ...glad i did...better to be a 35 yr old widebody captain than a 35 yr old newhire...anyway as far fighter pilots being the best pilots out there...maybe..if we start dropping bombs off airbusses...i kid

Last edited:
This coming from the dude who gets offended that I called the pax he flies white trash?

Capt. Mega,

Wishes she was "white trash".

Dangerkitty said:

I brief the F/O that they're flying with the best pilot in the industry. If they doubt me I carry a certificate signed by both John AND Martha King, that I downloaded, that attests to that fact. If they still don't believe me, I dial my Mom on the cell phone and hand it to them. That usually shuts 'em up. For the entire trip.

Hey Gang...I just want to shed a little light on the Civ/Mil idealogues out there. I once had the opportunity to take a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonol up in my Cessna 150. He gave me some pointer's on how to fly the 707 sim for my interview. I had EPR settings, speeds, deck angles, and flap settings memorized which, i am convinced, helped lead to a letter of conditional employment from the sim check airmen. I let him fly my 150 over his house and try to land it...returned his kindness and gave him few pointers on how to land a cessna 150 in a crosswind and he did pretty good. On the ground he commented on how flying a light civilian airplane into grass strips and uncontrolled/unimproved fields was a completely different ballgame from flying the KC 135 in the airforce and how he was quite surprised at the skill involved. My point is we both learned something from each other that day...the guy was 80 years old and almost deaf, but were it not for him, I wouldn't have had a clue when I climbed in AA's 707 sim and without me he probably would have pranged my 150 on the ground and been embarrased. My point is...this is the kind of attitude we need to approach our profession with...an attitude of teamwork and cooperation. By not being at odds with one another and by learning from one another, we can restore the dignity to this once great profession. I have since flown many 121 trips with captains from both military and civilian backgrounds. There is something I can learn from everybody out there and I don't have any need to defend my civilian training background because I know deep down we are all alike. Just guys and girls trying to make a living and retire someday.

Thanks for listening.

Gofish

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back