• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another reporter "gets it"!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one ever told me I would be flying with the best pilots in the industry, but after a few trips, I knew I was seeing the best at work. Every once in a while one of our best pilot escapes to someplace lke SWA or FedEx. It is because they need some of the best pilots also.

i nominate pilotyip as best pilot in the world!!!! with all those types and hours he has to be good...or real lucky! but those types are weak as to one of our md-11 pilots who goes by the name" bouncing bobbi "..he has over 100 types...he's crazy!

CaptainMark said:
i nominate pilotyip as best pilot in the world!!!! with all those types and hours he has to be good...or real lucky! but those types are weak as to one of our md-11 pilots who goes by the name" bouncing bobbi "..he has over 100 types...he's crazy!

Either that or he just can't hold a job!

Me the best no way, I was near the bottom of my class in carrier landings and only in the middle in four plane formation. Howver I was first in Radio Inst stage, I really had those A/N ranges figured out, and Celestial Navigation. I was just an average Navy pilot, there are many many piltos I know who are much better pilots than me. That is why it is so easy for me to fly with the best.

Gofish said:
Hey Gang...I just want to shed a little light on the Civ/Mil idealogues out there. I once had the opportunity to take a retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonol up in my Cessna 150. He gave me some pointer's on how to fly the 707 sim for my interview. I had EPR settings, speeds, deck angles, and flap settings memorized which, i am convinced, helped lead to a letter of conditional employment from the sim check airmen. I let him fly my 150 over his house and try to land it...returned his kindness and gave him few pointers on how to land a cessna 150 in a crosswind and he did pretty good. On the ground he commented on how flying a light civilian airplane into grass strips and uncontrolled/unimproved fields was a completely different ballgame from flying the KC 135 in the airforce and how he was quite surprised at the skill involved. My point is we both learned something from each other that day...the guy was 80 years old and almost deaf, but were it not for him, I wouldn't have had a clue when I climbed in AA's 707 sim and without me he probably would have pranged my 150 on the ground and been embarrased. My point is...this is the kind of attitude we need to approach our profession with...an attitude of teamwork and cooperation. By not being at odds with one another and by learning from one another, we can restore the dignity to this once great profession. I have since flown many 121 trips with captains from both military and civilian backgrounds. There is something I can learn from everybody out there and I don't have any need to defend my civilian training background because I know deep down we are all alike. Just guys and girls trying to make a living and retire someday.

Thanks for listening.

Gofish

Very well put, and worth a quote. Thank you.

radarlove said:
What, you guys think that he was correct in telling the reporter that "almost all of the best pilots hired on at Delta?"

There weren't any other airlines hiring good pilots? Not one? In the 80s and 90s?

My comment had nothing to do with this guy's military background it came from the hubris of a 1,500 hour pilot (who doesn't know everything, even though he apparently thinks he does) explaining why he's so much better than everybody else.

Dude, 1,500hrs military time?!? I'd be willing to be he would have flown your a$$ under the table and beat the $h!t out of you down there right after he graduated flight training!!!Go back to your Microsoft Flight sim, TOOL BOX!

Regul8r said:
Dude, 1,500hrs military time?!? I'd be willing to be he would have flown your a$$ under the table and beat the $h!t out of you down there right after he graduated flight training!!!Go back to your Microsoft Flight sim, TOOL BOX!

Uh huh. Ever seen a new-hire fighter pilot in the sim for the first time?

Kinda comical.

radarlove said:
Uh huh. Ever seen a new-hire fighter pilot in the sim for the first time?

Kinda comical.

Yeah that is the truth. The fighter guys in my AA B-727 FE newhire class were totally clueless. One day when we were all in the sim I was in the left seat, a fighter guy was in the right seat and another fighter guy was on the panel. We were going throught the checklist and when the FE got to TCAS I repsonded "TA/RA"

They both looked at me like I had a lobster coming out of my ear.

One of them then stated, "What the hell does TA/RA mean?"

I was laughing so hard we had to take a break becuase I thought I was going to wet my pants.

Yet another one gets it.

WSJ 4/13/6 said:
By Ellen E. Schultz and Teho Francis

At a time when companies are scaling back health benefits of their retirees, former top executives at many corporations are receiving partial or full lifetime medical coverage on top of pensions valued at millions of dollars, a Wall Street Journal analysis of dozens of recent securities filings indicates.

The trend spans industries, and it is common at airlines, which have been among the most aggressive in scaling back retirement befits for the rank and file. Continental Airlines, for example, provides health care “at no cost” for retired Chairman Gordon Bethune and his dependents, the company’s proxy statement notes. That’s in addition to other perks, including a lifetime of free flights and decade of free office space, plus a lump-sum pension payout of $22 million. A Continental spokesman says other retired executives have to pay 20% of the cost of coverage but then declines further comment. Mr. Bethune, who retired on Dec. 31, 2004, didn’t return calls to his office seeking comment.

Latest resources

Back