• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another Reason to Avoid the Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're obviously not going to come around to see it my way, so why bother?
I'm not muslim, so I don't exactly keep track of every contribution they've made to society, but one obvious one that sticks out is basically our entire system of mathematics. Our numbering system is called Arabic numerals. Muslims are credited with inventing Arithmetic, Algebra and Trigonometry.

That's beside the point though, your choice of religion just indicates which fairy tale you happen to believe in, what does that have to do with your inventiveness or your ability to contribute advances to humanity? Not a thing, that's a function of the individuals intelligence and ability to reason through problems, that has nothing to do with a person's religion.

I'm not here to defend one religion over another, but suggesting that everyone of an entire religion should be wiped out because they haven't contributed enough to humanity is beyond absurd. I know that we're all tense about the state of the world today, and I, like probably everyone else here, view the greatest threat to our security as Islamic terrorists. Denying that would be insane, but I don't make the leap that some of you seem to make in connecting these lunatics with the mainstream Muslims of the world. That was the point of my original post- I don't connect terrorists with real Muslims any more than I connect the KKK, etc etc with real Christians.

In the 1940s, in Europe, there was a man who tried to eliminate all members of a certain religion that he viewed as a threat to his country. Any guess as to his name?

You're obviously not going to come around to see it my way, so why bother?
I'm not muslim, so I don't exactly keep track of every contribution they've made to society, but one obvious one that sticks out is basically our entire system of mathematics. Our numbering system is called Arabic numerals. Muslims are credited with inventing Arithmetic, Algebra and Trigonometry.

That's beside the point though, your choice of religion just indicates which fairy tale you happen to believe in, what does that have to do with your inventiveness or your ability to contribute advances to humanity? Not a thing, that's a function of the individuals intelligence and ability to reason through problems, that has nothing to do with a person's religion.

I'm not here to defend one religion over another, but suggesting that everyone of an entire religion should be wiped out because they haven't contributed enough to humanity is beyond absurd. I know that we're all tense about the state of the world today, and I, like probably everyone else here, view the greatest threat to our security as Islamic terrorists. Denying that would be insane, but I don't make the leap that some of you seem to make in connecting these lunatics with the mainstream Muslims of the world. That was the point of my original post- I don't connect terrorists with real Muslims any more than I connect the KKK, etc etc with real Christians.

In the 1940s, in Europe, there was a man who tried to eliminate all members of a certain religion that he viewed as a threat to his country. Any guess as to his name?[/quote]

Bill???

One of the world’s most recognized authorities on suicide bombings is Robert A. Pape, a Professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago. He prepared a database of every suicide terrorist attack that occurred in the world from 1980 through 2003. There were 315 attacks in all. In his book, Dying to Win, Professor Pape says:

The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world’s religions. In fact, the leading instigators of suicide attacks are the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist-Leninist group whose members are from Hindu families but who are adamantly opposed to religion. This group committed 76 of the 315 incidents, more suicide attacks than Hamas.

One of the world’s most recognized authorities on suicide bombings is Robert A. Pape, a Professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago. He prepared a database of every suicide terrorist attack that occurred in the world from 1980 through 2003. There were 315 attacks in all. In his book, Dying to Win, Professor Pape says:

The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world’s religions. In fact, the leading instigators of suicide attacks are the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist-Leninist group whose members are from Hindu families but who are adamantly opposed to religion. This group committed 76 of the 315 incidents, more suicide attacks than Hamas.​

Sri Lanka Tamil Tigers eh? Okay, according to your numbers they have committed a tad over 24% of the worlds suicide bombings. Any idea of how many of those were in the Western world? I'd bet not very many.

People are worried about things that affect them. Not things that affect people thousands of miles away. Even in the U.S. with a war thousands of miles away people are mostly concerned about how will there own lives be affected.

The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world’s religions. In fact, the leading instigators of suicide attacks are the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist-Leninist group whose members are from Hindu families but who are adamantly opposed to religion. This group committed 76 of the 315 incidents, more suicide attacks than Hamas.

I'm not familiar with this book, but if the author is comparing this Sri Lankan group with Hamas, is he separating Hamas, Hezbolla, al-Qeyda, Taliban, etc into separate groups? Sounds like a way of proving a preconceived political point.

Yes he does. But the point is that suicide terrorists do their deeds for Political, not religious goals. Even HAMAS, Taliban and Al Qaida.

While terrorists receive an alarming level of support... They have Hijacked the religion. The mainstream of Islam does not accept the ideas of HAMAS... etc.. And most Muslims love the US.

www.theotheriraq.com

Yes he does. But the point is that suicide terrorists do their deeds for Political, not religious goals. Even HAMAS, Taliban and Al Qaida.

While terrorists receive an alarming level of support... They have Hijacked the religion. The mainstream of Islam does not accept the ideas of HAMAS... etc.. And most Muslims love the US.

www.theotheriraq.com

But they don't do a very good job of saying so. Most of the groups that comment never denounce the terrorists. They just admonish the USA not to profile or take the necessary measures to eliminate the terrorists.

But they don't do a very good job of saying so. Most of the groups that comment never denounce the terrorists. They just admonish the USA not to profile or take the necessary measures to eliminate the terrorists.
I was born and lived in the neighborhood that A Bronx Tale movie was about. Not many people spoke out against the Mafia....

Latest resources

Back